BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

He is answering in a tandem. I do not think you can ignore the sentences said in the same post. If they were years apart then maybe but not when they were coined seconds apart.

Growth is a Kanoka power. Greg says he does not think Marendar could grow when hit with elementals.

2 Likes

Last year I provided a metru head reference for everyone designing the mask of creation. This year, I have more reliable references that can be used for designing masks. This time with the actual pieces and a toa hagah for size comparison.

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure that growing from Elemental attacks is a separate power from the Kanoka power of Growth. If the Rahi Nui was using its Kanoka powers to grow, it wouldn’t have dissapated.

But besides, even if we assume that the Rahi Nui’s growth response to Elements was, in fact, linked to the Kanoka power, that doesn’t necessarily mean that Marendar doesn’t have any Kanoka powers. The question only specified that Marendar doesn’t automatically grow in response to Elemental attacks.

2 Likes

I actually think this works well as a staff and less real gun so its more suitable.

On a side note, if you don’t mind sharing. Did you 3d print the mask and spray paint it? did someone 3d print it for you? I ask because it just looks so crisp and clean. If you did use a spay paint what’s the brand and color?

2 Likes

Since my friend has a resin print, I asked him to print it out instead of buying me dinner. lmao
Also, I painted it.
It is difficult to recommend paint because I used Korean brands
Instead, I recommend Tamiya Gunmetal.
but I was also recommended this.

When I was thinking about gunmetal color, someone recommended it and said that the picture below was the result.

I didn’t do this.
The person who recommended it told me. left side was cut off Maxilos parts and the right side was the result of using Rust-oleum spray.

6 Likes

Aw its a resin print that explains it. :slight_smile: thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

Thats the result of the Tamiya or the Rust-oleum?

@RiderBD do you know if he used a primer or anything? It looks good

1 Like

What are your opinions? Since Toa trios weapons are a mace, a spear and a staff, are we allowed to modifyi them into multipurpose tools?

Toa nuva had multi purpose tools that could be made into a lava board, skiis, fins, a ball, chainsaw skiis, wings etc. Can we make Toa trios weapons into multi purpose tools?

Orde’s mace could split into knucle dusters, Zarias staff could split into two kali sticks, Chiaras spear could split into two electrified kali sticks!

Multi purpose toa tools have been a standard in many waves of toa. Including Gen 2. Why should our newest toa be any different?

edit: Toa metru were last toa before Gen 2 to have multi purpose weapons. A jetpack, wings, jackhammer and snow shoes. Onewa and nokama had none which is a pity.

3 Likes

fair point, fair point
i think you could make Chiara spear tips be 2 ehlek blades and then split in 2 to be 2 claws

1 Like

Yeah! See? I was some what disapoited by the limitation but as seen here we can still invet many secondary purposes to make our mocs more unique!

1 Like

Zaria’s staff could also split into nunchucks and Chiara’s spear with a harpoon function. Your idea for Orde reminds me of Onua’s hammer from 2015

6 Likes

Their tools didn’t have alternate connection points but they did have alternate purposes - Onewa’s were for climbing and Nokama’s let her do this kind of jet-ski surf thing

5 Likes

Even if the winning model features a multi-purpose weapon, the artwork will almost-certainly require the weapon to be depicted in the “base form” given by Greg, and I don’t think the switching function would be canonized.

There was a similar situation with @WholesomeGadunka 's Artakha:

That doesn’t mean that entries can’t have transforming/multipurpose weapons, but (unless the rules change) the functionality wouldn’t be canonized.

7 Likes

Fair enough I think. Allow mocist the liberty and artist to depict the default form. Just like in artakha contest.

The thing is secondary function tools seem to be quite rare outside of the Toa Nuva (who had their original weapons transformed) and the Toa Metru (who followed Lhikan’s lead) in G1. Every Toa outside of them has used single function tools, so they aren’t as common.

I’m not gonna say they are a unique situation, since that would just be dumb but I will say it’s unlikely that all 3 YQT to have them.

All that being said, I do think however Chiara does. Here’s my idea:

The spear could be thrown into enemies or the ground, where she could use her Lightning to shock the nearby enemies. It’s a fusion of the classic lightning bolt as the tip, a lightning rod center and a Tesla coil. It also allows her to use her element more effectively in combat.

Here’s an example I threw together:

In the end though, unless the art depicts the spear being electrified in the ground, it’s just like theJerminator said:

So to sum it up: I like the idea of secondary function weapons but don’t think it’s common enough for all 3 members to have. I do think Chiara would have a secondary function, as spears are throwing weapons and distance weapons.

7 Likes

Am I understanding this correctly that the Yesterday Quest contests can canonize variant shapes, unlike the Hagah?

Does this also extend to new Kanohi shapes, or just confirming variants? If a Zaria model wins with a completely new shape, would remain as “unknown power”, or would it get a new power assigned to it?

7 Likes

Unless we hear reason as to why not, then yes.

There are some thoughts I’d like to eventually get peoples thoughts on, but we’re too far away from those contests to fully discuss it at length just yet. More to come.

17 Likes

Ok so I’m not so sure about inventing new powers. Like we do have a list of powers without masks, but if we choose a new power it’s needs to be HEAVILY looked over and double checked with lore and Greg.

The thing is though, this basically only applies to Zaria, as Chiara and Orde have a confirmed Volitak and a large following who will vote for Sanok. So whatever is chosen could bring a mask with a new unseen power to the matoran universe.

perhaps the Mask of Sand?

2 Likes

I’m not sure if I’d make that assumption about Orde yet, but that would be pretty sweet. At the end of the day, though, the rules are the same for either of them.

Believe it or not, that’s one of the things that’s confirmed to not be a Kanohi power:

8 Likes

Oh crud did that not have the italics on it? I meant that as a joke, sorry for the confusion.

Honestly though sand as a power does appear in the MU so finding that out when I read the wiki was weird.

True, maybe the Mask of Rebound might work for Orde as well: Kanohi/Other Kanohi - BIONICLEsector01

2 Likes