BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Tbh I’m totally ok with canonizing new mask powers within reason. Personally, I think we should see more Kanohi based on Kraata powers like the Shelek or Mask of Adaptation.

3 Likes

Before this gets too out of hand, I’ll clarify the thoughts I wanted to get thoughts on.

I actually don’t think canonizing new mask appearances without powers would be terribly popular. That said, the Yesterday Quest Toa are a good opportunity to possibly canonize the appearance for masks that have known powers, but no appearance. Masks that I’m aware of that fit that bill are the Mask of Clairvoyance, Weather Control, Weight Increase, Healing, Freezing, Rahi Control, Growth, the Pehkui, and the Great Kanohi Krill.

Alternatively, some of those are also powers that can be applied to masks with known shapes but no known powers.

What I was tossing around in my head was the possibility of these being suggested/applied/pitched via these characters.

To stress, that’s not what I’m saying we are going to do. This is just something I was thinking about. Any thoughts/perspectives are welcome.

22 Likes

As long as we can have a consent system for the masks of the tyq toa I’m fine with whatever ruling. I’m not the biggest fan of cannonizing new mask shapes through these contest especially in case its uneccessary like in the case of the Hagah. Having 3 of them being unkown shapes without known powers irks me a lot and to me feels like they are referencing past heroes.

For the upcoming Tuyet contest I have no problems with cannonizing a new mask shape as the mask shape serves a proper purpose like the MoC and MoP from the first 2 contests did. The new shapes for the Hagah like the potential new shapes for the tyq toa are just making things confusing and unclear.

With that said I guess the optimal solution for the tyq toa would be consent system for the masks and a power suggestion for new shapes. Because the moccist original intent with the choice of mask and power will be respected. Variants could be made but I think I would prefer known or new shaped masks over variants. If its going to go like with the Hagah were Greg just leaves them ambiguos

4 Likes

It was perfectly acceptable for the Hagah. Personal distaste doesn’t change that.

Did you make a typo here? Because they are referencing past heroes. That’s the point of the Hagah. Just because a mask shape is unknown doesn’t mean it can’t exist in the world.

8 Likes

Yes, it should be aren’t not are.

And this is besides my point. A unkown mask shape can exist but it wouldn’t make its inclusion feel more necessary for that contest or as an addendum to canon just because it can exist.

Let me put it this way. The Hagah mask as it stands for all intents and purposes are referencing some past heroes but because its ambigous as to who those heroes were. From a meta stand point or from an outsider looking in it isn’t apparent they are honoring anyone in particular. Am I saying recanonizing the Hagah masks no, I’m definately not but I am saying that from being contests to just patch out apperances without making to many unecessary addendums as these contest were originally pitched. The ability to use new shapes for the Hagah in retrospect was unecessary. Because it added at least 3 new toa to the list of unknown characters, 3 unknown masks and technically 3 unknown powers, I personally feel like that is a bigger overstep on canonizing new things through these contest than say Arthaka getting to wield a warhammer full time or Helryx being a different shade of blue but maybe that’s just me.

As for the tyq toa they don’t have the exact same issue but since their masks can be anything I feel like the moccist should be allowed to say yes or no to their choice of mask being changed.

Tuyet and Nidhiki would not face the same problem as Nidhiki’s mask is Mazeka’s Volitak in shape and Tuyet’s mask decides a specific power.

Which really is the difference here, Tuyet’s mask very clearly canonizes something that has already been canonized in the past. While the Hagah masks all add new masks to the canon. Because while you can see that Bomonga and Pouks masks are inspired by other masks. It is not canon as of the time of writting this that they are variants therefore they are new shapes with unknown powers and Gaaki’s mask is just straight up a new mask shape for an unknown power. Seeing as this is the case we have essentially invented 3 new masks in canon as we cannot make the claim that any of Gaaki, Bomonga or Pouks mask is a shape of a previously known power because there isn’t anything in canon supporting that claim.

Edit:

I’ll admit Bomonga and Pouks mask can be solved if Greg just said they were variants of the Kakama resp. Faxon but as long as we don’t have confirmation they will be classified as unkown masks with unkown powers. Gaaki’s status will remain the same unless Greg gives it a previously known power.

4 Likes

They don’t have to honor anyone we know in particular.

You don’t have a canon reason to suggest it shouldn’t have been allowed, or to suggest we know all possible Kanohi shapes. Just because you wanted restrictions in that was doesn’t mean they were necessary.

It added three new characters (maybe some Toa, maybe some Turaga) that no one has to know about, just as we don’t know who Iruini, Norik, or Kualus are honoring. And let’s be honest, it added one unknown mask. The other two will need Greg’s say so that it’s made obvious what they are. I don’t know how long that might take, since I know Greg has already been asked. There is nothing wrong with bumping the topic to increase the chance he sees it.

Wasn’t canonized. A picture of him with a hammer he brought with him to the Core Processor was canonized.

Let’s look at the quote:

Q: Is Helryix’s armor Light Blue or Dark Blue?
A: Dark blue

If you looked at Gali, how would you describe her colors?

Ultimately, this is a failure of the question to specify these colors. Helryx’s blue is dark blue to Gali’s secondary color. Not having that clarity, Helryx’s color works without being in contradiction of the quote.

EDIT: Misread a portion of your post, and removed the response.

There was no canon basis to prevent the Hagah from having unknown shapes. If you don’t like it, that’s fine. But that’s gonna chalk up to personal preference, not an inherent flaw with proceedings.

12 Likes

To answer this let’s look at all blue shades used in Bionicle (For the sake of discussion):

From left to right medium blue, transparent medium blue, rubber medium blue, metal blue, blue, rubber blue, rahkshi blue, trans dark blue, dark blue and lastly sand blue.

On this spectrum where do you find mata blue or blue? well somewhere in the middle of the chart, would you still say on a scale from Light to Dark blue that the middle line would be considered dark blue? I personally wouldn’t and here is where my side tangent on this ends.

I still feel like you are confusing my opinion, my preference and how the results of the Hagah contest currently affects canon in its current state so I’m going to reiterate these points seperatly for clarity.

My preferences is probably the easiest to disect: I do think new shapes and variant mask are unecessary or incosequential for the contest and its original intent.

My opinion surrounding masks going forward in the case of the yesterday quest toa is that a consent system should be implemented. Because the mask can be anything it can be a variation, a new shape or a determined shape. Considering this why should we then let artist take away the moccist choice of mask for those Toa?

Finally the Hagah masks effect on canon. Being currently unknown masks they have introduced 3 new powers and 3 new shapes. Because as we know the Hagah masks power differ from their shape with the exception of the Kualsi. This means that those 3 masks represent 3 new masks that can’t be applied to any of the already established known powers until Greg says otherwise. This means that in addition to there being a mask for almost every element, all 42 Makuta powers and the countless of Kanoka there is now 3 unknown mask powers. Judging by this the Hagah mask is “invented canon”(canon material bar visualisation that has been added out of seemingly nowhere as a side effect of these contest) and seeing as these contest weren’t pitched to the community or approved by the community as a resource for us to “invent canon” but to just fill in gaps its an overstep of freedom caused by the people entering these contests that override the agreement/understanding the original poll to start these contest made. Bomonga and Pouks masks as discussed are quite easily fixed through Gregs words but Gaaki’s mask would require Greg having perfect memory of all the mask powers to determine it. Which makes it a question he likely will never answer.

Just to look at a hypothetical, you could provide a list of all mask powers for Greg to pick and choose from but even so the shape of Gaaki’s mask is not guaranted to be the shape for any of the confirmed mask powers according to him. Which essentially boils down to we having at least one case of “invented canon” as a result of these contests.

1 Like

Oh god, not more color pedantism. Just look at the winning artwork, is it not reasonable to call that dark blue? Since mata blue is in the middle, it can be comparatively dark or light. Ultimately, it doesn’t matter that much. The winning model is plenty dark, especially compared to medium blue.

11 Likes

And My opinion is desagree to this.
reason is very simple : We already know Lhikan’s Hau. And that exsist prove “variant masks” are works well in Matoran Universe.
(And remember this: The scope of Akaku and Matatu were NOT original piece of their “Standard” shape. It’s just “Variant that very popular by people”(At least, Scope Matatu had used by Toa Nuju and Matoran Kaji.). Especially about Nuju’s scope, we know who is maker : Matoran Vakama.
Already in this point, there is possible to variant masks are exsit more in MU)

I quote this word: Kanohi shape is a “sign of its power”.

Signs work as long as they can recognize the “meaning”.

On the other hand, I gently agree with this opinion. :wink:
The art contest has great potential (in fact, the Helryx mask had to be changed from the blue Pakari), but for the consent system, MOCer will adopt the system in the first place, or YES or NO if it does. I would be happy if I had the right to choose.

About Helryx and other winner designs

I remember that Lewa is most “young” Toa, and Onua was “old” Toa.
But those “canon” had erased by Greg’s comment soon.
If I now shout “Lewa is Toa Mata’s youngest member and Onua is the oldest! Bring back this into canon!”, I think quite a few people will frown.
Because they was made by Artakha in same time, and that fact is canon now.

Just like such example, The canon is updated from time to time, by Greg’s words (just as the TYQ Toas tool was confirmed in just one sentence the other day).

And now, canon Helryx is that Helryx.
I don’t want to crush the each winner’s victories for “My own like or dislike”.:wink:

9 Likes

You obviously did not read my post. I made it pretty clear here:

that the answer to Eljays question was only for discussion. I have no intent or want to change Helryx color but I bring up a counter point to the claim to the question in the greg quote being vauge. Nothing more to it, noone needs to continue the discussion beyond this point nor does this discussion necesitate any conclusiveness.

I think you misunderstood my argument. my argument isn’t variant masks shouldn’t exist because they are inconsequential or unecessary.

it’s more like “Variant masks or new masks does nothing for the canon if they are not going to be confirmed as those by Greg, they can still exist but their purpose is kinda nulled if they can’t be determined to be those shapes when a moc wins.” and that is why I think the are unecessary or inconsequential because they need a second confirmation to be what they are supposed to be. Unlike say the MoC which could be inferred from the art of Arthaka to be the MoC since he never wore any other mask.

I mean all that could entail is that Onua was built by Arthaka first which would kinda make sense considering Helryx hunch and Lewa was built last if I were to theorize

I echo what I said to KDNX above.

1 Like

This has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that some of the Hagah have fan-made mask shapes. All six Hagah introduced the existence of a past hero who wore the mask that their own Kanohi is shaped after.

Those aren’t really “new” things. It was known well before the contests began that there were powers with unknown shapes.

Even if you want to get technical and say that we don’t know if these shapes actually match up with any of those powers, that still doesn’t make it new information. It has been confirmed that there are powers out there that we don’t know about:

7 Likes

Is there perhaps a more recent quote? since the year 2004 we pretty much got most mask powers confirmed unless Greg intended for even more mask powers to exist

a quote from 09 would be ideal

…Hmm, that’s it.
I agree partly to your opinion, so I hesitated to say that all of them are “wrong” or “unnecessary”, but I seems that I misinterpreted your point. I apologize for that. Sorry! :expressionless:

Summary
From here, rather than saying to you, I would like to vent what I have been thinking for a while now, since it is just the right opportunity. Especially to those who shout at the already victorious MOC and Art, "We don't like it! We should redo the contest now!" (I see such people not only on board, but in other places, since Helryx contest)

Please let me tell you an interesting analogy.

Here is a Kanohi Olmak.
I acquired this mask somehow, and even learned the art of using it successfully.
And now I’ve opened the dimension gate and arrived at the alternate dimension where your MOC/ART entry won the contest.
(Of course, the dimension in which your MOC/ART wins may be the future of this prime dimension. :wink: :yum:
Don’t think too much about that, it’s just a metaphor! :rofl:)

I, of course, generously applauded your MOC/ART in that dimension as well - but there I found a noisy man.
He was loudly shouting these opinions on the board: “I dislike those ! Their victory must be revoked!”

When I saw the man’s username, I was overcome with shock and despair.

…His username was “Bukkey”.
Apparently, the me of the alternate dimension was a bit more radical than the me of the prime dimension, someone who couldn’t stand it if his opinions were not accepted.

Now I’m back from the alternate dimension. I’m home! :blush: :joy:

Well, What do you think?
Would you strip the victors and their results, chosen by many people in the community, of their honor just because of “your likes and dislikes” like I did in the alternate dimension?

I would not.
I would not, because if I did, no matter which character I won this contest with, my efforts and victories would be crushed by “someone’s likes and dislikes”.
Do you know Sans from Undertale? He would have lost any motivation for similar reasons.

You have the right to say, “I don’t like this,” but it should be done on a case-by-case basis, and furthermore, you do not have the right to say this: “I don’t like it, so it must be thrown away.

Once you do that, no matter what victories you achieve in the future, you will continue to be targeted by those who want to destroy your victories as well, like you did.

Sorry to long write! :rofl:

13 Likes

AU Bukkey sounds like a jerk
of course my mirror version would be as well. he’d also have an evil mustache.

10 Likes

As someone who doesn’t have easy access to a 3D printer and neither has the monetary ability to do so, I don’t have any qualms with allowing new modeled pieces. Allowing so can bring in more variety into the canon, which I full heartedly endorse as it can help bring more life to the franchise.

Specifically with the likes of Orde and Zaria, by allowing for new mask shapes with unknown powers to be used, any “it looks cool” MOC could be more canonically acceptable. This is an idea that I think many people would like.

To reply to this:

We have confirmation from the likes of the Olmak that masks can exist without a specific Kanoka recipe. So, even if we are highly restrictive with the rules of combining Kanoka, there is no solid proof that Kanohi are limited to 255 variants. In summed terms, we can’t say with undisputed certainty that we already know most mask powers.

9 Likes

Unless I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying, this isn’t true. The Great Disks all had different Kanoka powers:

Greg has confirmed elsewhere that including multiple Kanoka of the same power has no effect on the power of a Kanoka, or the mask made from it:

5 Likes

Hmm, must’ve been a misprint with physical Lego I had. I remember having a Po- and a Ta- weaken level 9 disks. My mistake. But my point still stands.

Well, even if Mata Blue Helryx is really wrong and if it’s TTV’s fault,
Greg agreed Mata Blue Helryx. What’s wrong?

tbh, as a person who’s tired of too much dark, dark blue dark green dark red dark dark dark darkdarkdarkdark
Gaaki is Dark blue.
Even Tuyet may be a darker combination of dark blue.
In the contest, there was already a saying, “There are too many blue,”
i wouldn’t have liked it if we had another dark blue toa.
How many more dull colors toa should you have since 2004?

Masks? 20~13 years ago, we have gained new masks every year. Although there were recycled masks, more than half of them were new shapes.
I don’t think it’s a bad idea to have a new shape of mask.

And we always talk about it, right? Greg doesn’t care about appearance, and he doesn’t even remember what color it is. (poor iruini)
Even some argue that Greg’s Q&A after 2010 is only a product of oblivion and confusion.

Whenever I see this controversy, I think this is just one thing in the changing Canon.
Bionicle Canon always unstable…

5 Likes

If its okay, I’m going to assume that the allegory you presented is losely based on your perception of me…

If that is the case I would like to debunk several misconceptions and assumptions made about me in that allegory.

I don’t care about if I win, to me the preservation of Bionicle’s astethic and consistently designed world will always be more important to me personally than how well my mocs do in these contest. Therefore I’ll vote accordingly.

I’ll admit that I have been very vocal about my distaste for the Hagah with the exception of Pouks minus mask and Kualus minus friction mod gearbox and Gaaki minus friction mod. However with the exception of that one time I uttered the opinion that the masks should change to some other masks an opinion I’ve since abandond. I have never advocated a moc be recanonized that I didn’t think deserved it. With that said you will probably spurt out “What about Double’s Bomonga?” in the moment. To which I say if you won a marathon but you used doping agents to win would you say your victory was earned or deserved? Which was my entire point with wanting it recanonized. There is a popular belief due to actions I’ve since regretted that I only wanted Bomonga recanonized because I hated the build as per the above that is simply untrue. I do indeed dislike the build but I never wanted it recanonized for my distaste of it.

Further more on a different note but on the same subject: I as you have probably noticed am very vocal and have been very vocal in this topic with my opinions. You may have also seen the countless of arguments that have sparked from me making one post. The bottom line is have no control over how people react to my posts but I continue to share my opinions because I’m looking for someone who can understand where I’m coming from or what I’m saying yet I’m met with arguments and disagreements over the smallest things. If I say said that “The Mata were great sets” I can assure you that someone somewhere is going to make a post disagreeing with me based on their own perception of me or one projected by others because of my reputation after my banning last year.

My point is this I’m not here to make life difficult for anyone, I’m not here to strip anyone of their victories. I’m not here to dictate canon, I am here to voice my opinion on how these contest are handled and to make sure that opinion is heard or understood so that we can hopefully get a productive conversation out of it. Yet I’m bombarded with people disagreeing with me due to their preconcived notions about me as a person and a member of this community. We will never have a productive conversation in this topic if we are going to continue like this and to some that may sound hypocritical of me. However more than once in this topic have I decided to meet people halfway and I’m certainly not unable to. I even got indirectly praised by Eljay for it. So moving forward do not discuss with me if your not willing to consider what I have to say, I do not have the veto power to say that all my opinions are the objective truth nor do I believe that myself so…

I’m not trying to be unreasonable but noone is really trying to work with me either. Because its easier to just disagree with a person you dislike for whatever reason. I know I’m not perfect I am human, I have made mistakes, I’m going to continue to make mistakes but I’m trying to learn from them and improve myself. For example I’m tryng to make my points more coherrent and consise. I’m avoiding circular arguments and I’m learning to distinguish when they occur.

So to summarize, I’m doing what I can. I’m not trying to be toxic. If I come across that way I’m turly sorry. I don’t think any of the winners didn’t deserve to win except maybe double’s Bomonga(see the doping agent allegory as to why). I don’t like the Hagah but no recanonization contest for them is necessary. The contest is mostly chill, I think its missing a few rules from being perfect but I’m willing to disprove my self (See my recent askgreg topic or my Tuyet entry). Because I’m aware of my flaws and I’m constantly working on improving.

2 Likes

I can understand it, and this is reason I respect you! :wink: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

You are very enthusiastic about giving your opinion. In other words, it means that you value BIONICLE World very much.
I also loved BIONICLE World and spent most of my life on it, which I could have devoted myself to other content. :relieved:
You and my “love for BIONICLE” are just different in shape.
(The most obvious part is exactly our opinion on variant masks. You focus on standard shapes, and I focus on variants “also” from examples such as Lhikan’s Hau).

My attitude may seem too conservative to the rules.
However, I also act with my own opinions and the accompanying counter-evidence, and I am always afraid of my own words and actions.
In that regard, I feel that your activity is definitely necessary for the contest and the maintenance of BIONICLE Canon.
(It ended up in a different shape, but I haven’t forgotten the benefit of your advice on Kanohi Suletu)

You would have taken it ironically, but read this part again.
This is already become to my complaints about “various things” these days.
I apologize for I got want to say something because I just misunderstood what you meant.
However, I also wanted to tell that I am certainly a person who loves BIONICLE World.

I think you’re absolutely needed one on BIONICLE community.
I trust your activities, my friends! :wink:

7 Likes