BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Blue. The peoples’ champion

11 Likes

It’s time to cast your votes! These poll topics will last three days before we move on to the next. So in all, voting should end around October 6th.

Well, see you in a year.

12 Likes

I echo both of your sentiments. My thoughts on the Gold Skinned Being is that, even though it will inevidebly be a MOC contest, my art entry will essentially use the winning MOC as a skeleton, where key features are visible, but the outer skin takes center stage, especially since, in universe, the being has to have a bunch of mechanical components inside him, by nature of his origins.

@theJerminator and @Atobe_Brick, I second the motion to include unmutated Barraki contests, especially if they’re having a contest for Toa Nidhiki. Having visual depictions if the ‘six prime species’ feels much more significant than the appearance of one single Toa. A Kabrua contest would be welcome, since he is larger than an average Vorox, meaning it would be closer to a titan contest than an Inika build one. And I think the Sisters of the Skrall, at least the leader, would also make great contest topics, although the fact that they wear robes could conflict with the rule about non-Lego cloth (unless the robes would only be added in the artwork).

I would also like to state to those running these competitions thanks, first of all, for their effort to keep this community alive, and second, a plea to separate future art and mask contests. I never really had an opinion up to now, but with the Artakha contest, I had a solid concept and design for a Mask of Creation, but lacked the creative spark for a full figure drawing on par with other entries, and I’m sure I’m not the only one with this, or the opposite, problem. The current system has also led to an overrepresentation of one design. Putting it against all the others first would give them each a fair shake.

The one exception should probably be for the Hahaha contests, where, unless a separate contest is held for the masks’ true forms (which I am highly in favor of) the masks’ in universe were chosen for symbolic reasons, and so the armor was likely forged in shaped to match them, so the canon appearances should probably favor visual cohesion in this case.

Anyway, sorry for my rambling text wall, I just haven’t been here in a while, and had some things I’d been wanting to say.

3 Likes

This is a good point.

I’m not sure that I agree they ‘should’ be designed for the Hagah, since they are still just ordinary Kanohi, but it is more acceptable here than in other contests.

Perhaps the Hagah armour was designed around the masks?

EDIT: I think that was your original point, wasn’t it?

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking. Though, again, I would love to see them run a parallel contest for the true forms of the Hagah Kanohi.

1 Like

I’m not sure it needs to be parallel.

Such contests could be held, but I don’t think they should be given priority over other objects or Kanohi.

After all, the true shape of their Kanohi powers is irrelevant to the appearance of the Hagah, so it is not necessary to include such details in, or alongside, the contests.

Maybe when this is all said and done, there can be a Kanohi contest to assign shapes to the six unknown masks, as well as assign powers to any new shapes that may or may not come from the contests.

2 Likes

b) defense from random plagiarism. For Hagah, there really might be some unwanted coincidences in builds, so this is very important for me.

If you post your MOC publicly the you endanger yourself to intentional plagiarism. that is worse in my opinion. People see the positive reaction and change their mocs to resemble yours. Or they got the same idea than you but since you posted yor idea first they are afraid of being called thief and change intentionally their idea to something else.

I propose you ask people privately for opinions on your Hagah. Either with those who do not take part in the competition or with those who do. I myself plan to take part in Marendar competition and ask few people here for opinions.

5 Likes

This. Very much this.

1 Like

Thank you for this answer. I never thought of it from that point of view and… it is very true. And I too always ask several friends about my entries before posting.

1 Like

Is there anyway to speed up the competition? At the current speed the competitions for golden skinned being and Marendar are to be held in June of the year 2022!

Is it possible to run MOC competition and art Competition at the same time? For example during art constest for Toa Tuyet the MOC contest for Lariska could be held at the same time. And during Art contest for Lariska, MOC competition for Toa Orde could be held.

This would halve the time of the whole competition without shortening the time for voting or preparing for the competition.

1 Like

While that would make the process go quicker, I don’t think it work well overall. If someone wanted to participate in the Tuyet art contest and Lariska building contest, they would probably only be able to participate in one of the contests, because they wouldn’t have the time to do both.

Plus, I imagine it would be difficult two contests at a time, for TTV. They’ve already said that managing the canon contests is quite tiring, so I presume that managing two at a time would be very stressful and tiring.

8 Likes

Regarding the Hagah contests:

Are groups of entrants allowed to collaborate if a single user lacks the parts required for an entire team?

@Eljay

6 Likes

Was it stated you have to submit the 4 as a whole or are you just asking for collab sake for uniformity

Not sure what you mean. I’m not sure whether or not it was stated you had to submit them together, which is why I’m asking - I personally lack the parts to build all of them, so I was wondering if people are allowed to collaborate on a single set of entries.

1 Like

Thats my confusion too… if so, I have a silver shield and a gold shield so I can build half if you need a collab buddy. :crazy_face:

1 Like

@Takutanuva @Winger

To my knowledge, each of the Hagah has their own submission. You have no obligation to submit a full set of four, or collaborate with others to do so. If you only want to make a Pouks, for example, you can.

Collaboration is allowed, though. TTV won’t stop you from coordinating with other people. But the collaboration is not officially recognized. Each Toa would be submitted only under the name of the person who made it, and there is no guarantee that the entire set of four will win or lose together. It is possible that only some of the four will win their respective contests, and the other spots will be filled by different MOCs.

And that also goes for if one person makes all four; there is no guarantee that all four will have the same outcome.

3 Likes

So which ones you wanna do? :full_moon_with_face:

1 Like

I see. That makes a lot more sense, thanks for clarifying.

I’m not even sure I’m going to enter the contest for the hagah, as I am critically short on CERTAIN KEY PARTSCOUGHMYONLYMETRUTORSOISINTUYETRNCOUGH.

2 Likes

Will we get the the full tally of final votes and percentages from the end of the second round’s polls?

1 Like

Yes, once one of us has a moment to put them up.

1 Like