BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

The problem with making canon appearances for characters that already exist in a different form is continuity. While there’s nothing saying you can’t change the eye color of an existing character, there’s also nothing wrong with being that nitpicky.

Course, it’s unlikely that we would ever mandate to such a level of specificity, it’s also not like having the discussion and pointing it out is actively a bad thing.

At the end of the day these are canon contests, and thus there will be certain people who hold their own and other’s entries to a much higher standard of continuity than others. Them mentioning things for the benefit of everyone isn’t a bad thing and you’re more than welcome to ignore their suggestions.

It’s also more than worth mentioning that while Myself, Eljay, and Meso are all reasonably knowledgeable about Bionicle, we are more than capable of missing details that, while maybe trivial in a moc contest, could become important in a canon contest.

Long story short I for one welcome when people get super specific and nitpicky because A: It means they care and B: as long as we don’t get bogged down in a back and forth about something then it’s still contributing to the discussion.

TL;DR, if you don’t want Blue Eyes Kualus don’t do it - but if you’re one of those people that wants to fit canon as closely as possible… nothin stopping you.

11 Likes

Then it circled back around, which current in canon depiction of the several eye colors for the characters is the one?

1 Like

Well, I should rebuild mine either way. I was under the impression because of the Federation of Fear that she is titan sized, and built her that way… And mine is blue and green, not teal.

How about we just give all the remaining Hagah 2,008 eyestalks (or better-yet, Av-Matoran heads)?
:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So uh… when are those poll results for the semi-finals going up?

I’d really like to see how I fared.

3 Likes

that’s a lot of eyestalks

4 Likes

The contest organizers decided to not implement the list from the poll. Instead, they are going forward with their original list, with a few modifications (such as moving Lariska up a little).

Or the finals, for that matter.

It usually gets announced in its own topic, right?

Usually. :v

And while I would like to see what the finals results are, I was not in the finals. I was in the semi-finals, and would like to see how well I fared.

Finals will take longer for art sections to be revealed than the MoC portion, because the results will need to get sent to Greg.

5 Likes

So on the topic of Orde’s mask, I’m on the same boat for the sanok but not because it would complement his abilities but rather the fact that the official sanok looks like it has a brain on top. Bonkle Chicken noticed this and implemented it very well into their Orde design.

5 Likes

I think Bionicle Chicken said he used it because it was the first mask someone mentioned for it when he fielded the question.

But it really does work superbly well, not gonna lie.

1 Like

Zaria could have the mask of weather control or density control or stasis fields.

Stasis fields would be little use on him since he already can stop almost anyone around him with his elemental powers. Even agori have metalic parts on them.

Mask of weather control would make him too op in my op. He could cause storms and so forth basically giving him the combined might of two elements (water and air)

Density control could be fun mask to use. He could lower his density to leap high and then rise it in order to use a super heavy smash against someone. Or travel long distances with long leaps or make himself an immovable object.

I don’t really like the mask of weather control, as it essentially just turns the toa Into a toa of water, air, ice, and lightning (in addition to their original elemental power).

The mask of density control seems really similar to the mask of gravity, in my opinion.

I don’t think that it really matters what mask a toa has, and at the end of the day, it has more to do with aesthetics.

Although, this said, I have a question: In the Helryx and Artakha contests, the artists in the art portion of the contest got to decide on the mask’s appearance. If the winning Zaria (or any character with no confirmed mask) uses an official LEGO mask, would the artist still be allowed to change the mask?

1 Like

I really interested for answer of this question.
If we don’t solve this question early, it will may create new confusion while the Art contest… :sweat:

I genuinely believe that the rule regarding Metru Torsoes should be removed. If a person can make a torso of the same size and shape as a common Metru torso then it should be allowed as well. Let’s admit it - beyond the aesthetic and the fact that all Haga are metru-shaped in canon, there is no excuse for using a Metru torso in 2020, cause frankly, they are bad. Barely posable, with the bare minimum of articulation required from an action figure, floppy. There are more than enough technic parts that are small and versatile enough to replicate one with much more articulation than an actual Metru torso, and that would give MOCers a whole lot more freedom - since right now you are just beginning for about 20-40 drawings/mocs that are exactly the same in appearance bare the masks.
Letting people use a custom-made technic torso that is still the general size and shape (or hell, even just size) of a Toa Metru is the far superior option that would genuinely encourage creativity and give us the legendary Toa Team we deserve.
Beyond that - seeing how the masks can be any shape, I think that should just be a free-for-all, any shape you like.

3 Likes

about to get crucified son

10 Likes

Some people seem to have issues with realizing that opinions are not universally accepted :laughing:

Maybe in the purest sense, but there are countless ways to modify the design and make unique builds.

2 Likes

What if I want to build the Metru, cause frankly they are the best toa.

1 Like

The mask of density control seems really similar to the mask of gravity, in my opinion.

Mask of gravity changes the weight of others. density control changes the mass of the user. Therefore I think they are different enough.