BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

I know I am a bit biased since the competition I am most exited for is held last (and more than a year away) but is it possible that we hold another poll after Lariska contest and decide a new order for the remaining characters?

The decision to keep the list set, with the exception of moving up Lariska, came from how the last ordering poll yielded results similar to how the list was already setup. So unless if there is a big uproar for a change, and not just some small voice (not to demean you, just fact of the matter), these competitionsā€™ order is currently cemented with no foreseen change in the future.

2 Likes

I think the actual order would be different since that poll asked who people wanted to be next. Not what should be the order of competitions.

But yeah, if community thinks the current order is OK, then it is OK.

Itā€™s true that that poll was officially only to determine who was next.

But the vote distribution closely matched the chronological order of the original lineup, so they just took that as a sign that it should be left alone (with minor modifications), thereby eliminating the need to run yet another poll, as well as giving people plenty of time to prepare for a given contest.

vote distibrution.

(This is speculation for my part) If most of the people only voted for one entry then the results do not represent the actual order. Artakha and Lariska had been fan favorites for the longest time so no wonder people wanted them to be next.

Iā€™m saying they did not use the current voting system to determinate the order. Plus if memory serves correctly Marendar was third from the bottom, not last.

But yeah there does not seem to be a great want to have another poll.

Edit: the order of the contests from the poll

Artakha:48%
Lariska: 40%
Toa Tuyet: 39%
Toa Nidhiki: 37%
The Toa Hagah: 36%
Gold Skinned Being: 29%
Marendar: 26%
Toa Orde: 24%
Toa Zaria: 24%
Toa Charia: 22%
Toa Varian: 22%

I do not know why The Toa Hagah contest is next. It could be people had already started to make builds for them.

Edit 2.

Order of the later contest were kept since percentage difference between them was so small. I understand this reasoning.

2 Likes

I feel deciding what their canon eye colors are is irrelevant and arbitrary if applied as a rule.

Eye colors changeā€¦ literally all the time in BIONICLE. Itā€™s the least consistent thing about a character.

7 Likes

Yeah, even in set form eye colors are inconsistent. Just compare the Turagaā€™s and Toa Metruā€™s.
If even sets canā€™t get eye colors right, I seriously doubt the comics have any significant merit.

1 Like

Agreed. The eyes colours should not be made a rule.

I still believe that Bomonga should not have metallic green armour, though; even if his eyes arenā€™t green, the colour is still associated with Toa of Earth, despite it not being an armour colour.

I donā€™t remember saying it should be a rule, just that I think Kualusā€™ eyes should be light blue, and Bomongaā€™s green. I would very much like to see entries with those colors and would certainly vote for them (with other criteria in mind of course), but I also wouldnā€™t be for barring entries that donā€™t do this.

Sure, eye colors change when beings transform, whether it be Hagah into Rahaga, or Toa into Turaga, although there are exceptions. Itā€™s interesting that the two Turaga who kept their Toa Metru eye colors were Nuju and Whenua, who are the same two elements as Kualus and Bomonga.

All Iā€™m saying is that I support Kualus and Bomonga having blue and green eyes respectively to tie into the variations in the comics as shown. If someone wants to choose different colors, Iā€™d be happy to hear why they chose what they did.

3 Likes

I donā€™t have blue or green eyestalks :grinning:

1 Like

Thatā€™s why thereā€™s Stud io

1 Like

young tech savvy whippersnappers these days. No respect for true artwork made with childrenā€™s toys.

3 Likes

Just wanted to point out that Nidhiki has only one canon form (so far), but is depicted with:

• green eyes in set form
  • yellow eyes on the box art
  • orangish eyes in the movie
  • red eyes in the comics

which is one of the reasons i give toa nidhiki blue eyes

8 Likes

Pretty much everyone is depicted with the same eye colour in the Miramax movies. The only exceptions I can think of (from the top of my head) are Teridax, Keetongu, the Rahkshi, Nuju, and Toa/Matoran of Earth. (Not counting things like Tahu when heā€™s poisoned or Kopakaā€™s eyepiece)

TLR is even more monochromatic in this area - everyone gets blue, unless youā€™re a Skrall, Bone Hunter, or Vorox, (red) or an animal (green).

4 Likes

This is definitely one of the least important aspects. Its like arguing over axle or pin colors

7 Likes

I think itā€™s more important than that from the perspective of the MoC maker. I donā€™t think itā€™s at all important from a rule-setting point-of-view, though, like many of the things that seem to get discussed here anywayā€¦

2 Likes

Eljay will be real

In 13 minutes

7 Likes

Yeah I was wondering when someone would finally say that.

Like good grief, when there was the argument over masks and Metru builds I was thinking ā€œCan the BIONICLE community get more niche than this in their canon discussions?ā€ and yet here we are. I feel like people sometimes forget about how ridiculous arguing for literal hours over a discontinued line of toys is.

4 Likes

No one is saying that the hagah eye colours should be a rule ā€“ itā€™s just a suggestion, which moccists/artists can follow if they so choose.

6 Likes

I guess it is ā€œDiscussion & Questionsā€, isnā€™t it? So I suppose thatā€™s a good point.

I almost feel like if weā€™re going to be talking about inspiration and ideas we should make a separate topic for that, thoughā€¦ not because itā€™s not relevant here, but because this is where people often ask technical questions and suggestions about rules and stuff and it gets confusing when itā€™s happening in the same place as people debating the merits of green Bomongaā€™s eye colour. So a topic more strictly for subjective discussion would help alleviate the crossing of wires, so to speak.

Not saying itā€™s necessary or that people need to stop talking about it here or anything. But food for thought.

1 Like