BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

It’s ridiculous to claim that two MOCs with the same torsos are thereby rendered clones. Especially there can be a lot of variation within those torsos. People aren’t dumb - they know that their build needs to be uniquer than just a Metru torso with a bohrok shield to have a shot a winning.

5 Likes

The thing is, I can definitely see some of the top MOCs just being Metru builds with bohrak shields on the torsos.

1 Like

Yeah, maybe.

But if that’s what people want them to look like, then they should be there.

This isn’t a MOC contest; bigger and more complex doesn’t mean better.

3 Likes

And frankly, that’s all I want.

2 Likes

That’s not necessarily a problem, because it means that design is the one people want. There a lots of ways to make that build unique.

I wouldn’t be surprised if people are completely redesigning their builds because of all the hate going around right now.

1 Like

I actually want this though, having the hagah look like the two that have been released is good, because it will give the team a cohesive look.

1 Like

So then what’s your point?

2 Likes

my point is that there are going to be metru builds with bohrak shields on them and I like that.

3 Likes

How about we let any build be allowed but the art portion has to be a Metru build?

ehhh, I’m not sure if that would work well. If we did that, the art wouldn’t really resemble the MOC, and at the point, a MOC contest would not be useful, in my opinion.

4 Likes

So, here you compare some of the best metrubuild MOCs to some rather mediocre inikabuild MOCs…
I don’t think that it’s a fair comparison.

Here are some inikabuild MOCs by Masteryker to compare with (check out their YouTube channel btw, there are some fantastic Bionicle-related stopmotion films):

Inikabuilds can also be good if you put enough effort in them.

12 Likes

This also isn’t a fair comarison because the metru build that @Winger posted have 4- maybe 5 additional peices. The ones you posted have so many I can’t count.

1 Like

I knew someone would say that.

I literally googled “Inika build” and “Metru Build”. There was a distinct disparaging between the quality.

Additionally, as @Cordax mentioned, there is a large difference between the complexity of your examples and mine. It’s easier to make a simple build look good with a Metru torso than an Inika, in my opinion.

1 Like

Funny enough, that was what was proposed out of left field few months ago but it was rejected for various reasons. Partially due to the vast amount of complaining, ignoring canon in canon contests, standards not being applied equally between moc and art, and it most likely being impossible to build the canon design irl. The decision to mandate the metru build has already been made afaik.

Also, I’m not sure why people are talking about the inika build. It’s only muddying the waters and is irrelevant to the discussion. You can get good designs from either template.

2 Likes

For the past 10 or so years now, people have mainly used inika builds for mocs. Only recently have we seen major customizations of the Metru build, but there’s still potential that hasn’t been realized yet. I’m rather excited to see what people can come up with.

2 Likes

Which could be due to:
*The Metru build being available for one year, and the Inika build available for 5
*The Metru build being retired 16 years ago, and the Inika build retired 10 years ago
*The tendency for better builders to gravitate towards the Metru build, and not the Metru build being inherently better
*The fact that BobTheDoctor can make any build look good, and being one of the smaller pool of people actively using the Metru build
etc.

7 Likes

Alright SO.

Once again, There appears to be a misconception that the rules are already in place and will mandate the use of a Metru Torso. To my knowledge, we have never said anything officially on the subject, and in fact most discussions that have been had involve mandating that the proportions and aesthetics be appropriately metru-esque. Ergo, custom torsos that evoke the Metru Build would be allowed. I cannot confirm nor deny that we would be DQing entries that used, say, an Inika Torso, but based on the vast majority of conversation I’ve seen surrounding this topic, even if we didn’t you severely hurt your chances of winning by doing so. At the end of the day, these are contests with restrictions and limitations based on the existing Canon - in the case of Hagah, that reasonably assumes that they would be virtually identical in build to Norrik and Iruini.

With the number of contests that are planned/potentially to come, there are going to be some contests that have virtually no restrictions (Marendar, for example) and some that will have significantly more restrictions. The Hagah tend to be one of the latter as we already know what 2/6 look like. So yeah, it’s entirely possible that the contest becomes more “which Bohrok shield does Kualus have?” than “Look at this totally awesome insanely complex Kualus moc I made!” but that’s kind of par for the course.

More to the point, nothing is set in stone. These are discussions and decisions that will be had and made after Artakha has fully completed.

Unfortunately there has been delay in hearing back from Greg due to him being Out-Of-Office, hence the delay in announcing any winner.

16 Likes

You mean like Metru March? :stuck_out_tongue: The fan dedicated building month where people all have a ton of fun building with Metru Torsos in a fun and aesthetically appealing way?

Welcome to Lego, where the only limit to your creativity is your imagination… The Metru torsos were a step into a realm of figures that combined posing and function, joining the old Mata Torsos with a bit more poseability and form. If anything the Metru torso is the best of both worlds and is an incredibly diverse piece. Heck, you could maybe use it for a matoran, even. because the torso and hip connection is adjustable.

You can build hands, legs, can also use it for weapons. It’s a solid foundation for even bigger MOCs.

-the inika torso
-G1 equivalent of ccbs
-Maximum versatility
-CONNECTION POINTS???

Man I don’t know what inika torso YOU were looking at, but those things are plain awful, I mean yes they’re useful if you always want… ahem…

W I D E

models… There is a reason they are widely [haha] mocked in the later years, they’re just as cookie cutter as your most loathed Metru torso if you’re building a toa and put minimal effort into it. Perhaps even more so.

And the fact that they absolutely ditched functions to have action figures, so cool gaiz, for shooty-bang bang gimmicks and flashy swords…

Now agreed, I myself appreciate the move over to action figures with balljoints so that they can hold the pose they’re put in. I will argue the same modification can be done to Metru Torsos if you really put thought and effort into it.

Now, my argument isn’t that Inika torsos are explicitely bad [though in my opinion they’re not the best, either], It’s that both torsos can be built upon and make for very good MOCs that aren’t remotely bland or cookie cutter. All torsos are good and valid.

But that is entirely reliant on one’s willingness to put the effort and thought into making them work.

After all, I too have built beloved models with the inika torso. AND the Skakdi torso.

This is your opinion, and while you’re entitled to your opinion, it comes off as abrasive. And, really, Kodiak’s whole statement here is the best reply one can even say to this…

Kodiak is absolutely right here. Just because it uses the SAME torso as a base, doesn’t mean they’re exact clones. My Makuta MOCs all mostly use the makuta torso and despite this, no two of them are alike. It’s a solid foundation, nothing more.

I’ve already made Pouks, and he’s using a particularly WIDE piece of chest armor, not only did adjust his shoulders to accommodate, he still retains his function, AND some extra poseability from some added balljoints. If anything, this is the most fun I’ve had working with a base torso, figuring how to fit the components I wanted together in a nice and appealing way.

To just write off the Hagah as ‘not important’ just because they’re Metru builds is just sad, because it’s not just about the MOCs, it’s about the art. And the Rest of Norik’s team deserve art, just as much as any other character does. Point blank period.

And besides if you’re that nonplussed about it, you can always enjoy the break from the competition and worrying/caring about who wins or not. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I don’t see what’s the point of this. I mean, I get it from the rules standpoint, but I don’t really get why people are so upset over the sole idea of having to use the Metru torso only, their reasoning being “well, what if I wanted to build a custom torso that looks and functions JUST like the Metru torso, but is actually custom?”

Well, if you build a custom torso that looks and functions just like the Metru torso, why not just use the Metru torso? Is there really a need for having a custom torso that is custom just for the sake of being custom? Especially considering that even the most Metru-resembling custom build won’t fit with Norik’s and Iruini’s aesthetic as much as the actual Metru torso.

Man, that’s a lot of “torsos” in this post…

1 Like

People are viewing it as a MoC contest, not a canon contest. A lot of people care significantly about showing off being able to express their creativity despite restrictions.

If it were solely my call the Hagah would be just an art contest and this conversation would be over. At the end of the day these contests are about making Canon Appearances for Characters not making the coolest/most creative appearance for a character

17 Likes