BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Well, that’s true, I totally agree. But I think there is another problem: all metrubuilds look the same. If you look at Metru (even by different authors), you’ll see that they are very similar. There aren’t a lot of options to decorate a Metru torso, are there? You can attach a Nuva chestplate to it, any bohrok shield and that’s basically it.

Don’t get me wrong, I think that Metru is a really good build, but it is just getting boring when people use it very often. To me, anyways.

3 Likes

:clap: this, I wish more people would keep that in mind.

15 Likes

I disagree. Just because that’s the most common doesn’t mean it’s the only one. Inika shoulders, skrall armor … I don’t have access to my parts right now but I’m sure with a but of work you could make some really neat torsos.

1 Like

Genuine question: Will it appear this way to the community? Or will a finalised ruleset be announced at the start of the contest entry period, when it is too late to take feedback?

I think many would agree that the situation with the Artakha colour rule surprising everyone wasn’t the best. If the intention of announcing the subjects of future contests in advance is to allow people additional time to create a high quality entry, ideally some (provisional) rules for each should also be known in advance to avoid entrants wasting their time on something that would be disqualified.

2 Likes

Can’t say I’m surprised. I’m pretty sure some people will make non-existing connections between the metru torso piece and custom torsos.

Disagree. While I do get that they’re similar in the use of a torso piece, to automatically register them as the same in entirety because they use the same torso piece is disingenuous. By that logic, Lewa Phantoka and Malum are the same because they use the same torso piece. These are totally the same as a whole because they use the metru torso piece.

7 Likes

@Zarian would like to have a word with you.

6 Likes

As I’m not the sole arbiter of rules I can’t say for certain - however I genuinely believe that with a singular contest deciding the appearances of four characters and with the community as split on how best to go about it as it is, that we should be polling the community. I do believe Meso has mentioned elsewhere that the intent is to spend a month or two over the holidays taking a break from contest to really hammer out the rulesets and have these discussions with the community before starting the next contest.

Also, friendly reminder to everyone that, once again, this is a Toa Hagah MoC Contest. While the Metru Torso may not be the best build for every character out there, or the most open to creativity (though that’s being proven quite wrong here I’d say)…

You’re building a Toa Team. Specifically the remaining 4 members of a Toa Team that already has two members with known appearances. Point me in the direction of a Toa Team that canonically doesn’t use the same torso piece across the board.

Remember. Canon Contests. Not Creativity Contests.

Not your cup of tea? Wait till we hit one of the more individual Toa that lack a team to otherwise influence their appearance/build.

9 Likes

Yup,- it is indeed so much easier (and more fun) to make something than just anything. :+1:
Would the game of chess be any fun if any piece could move in any direction, for an unlimited amount of spaces?

3 Likes

I think I know the answer already, but just for anyone who may be confused by that, its not decided on whether someone has to enter all four to enter at all, since pretty much nothing about the ruleset is decided, correct?

All right, I think it’s time I spoke up about something that’s been bothering throughout this whole discussion:

You CAN’T attach a nuva chestplate to a Metru Torso. I tried this when making one of my Hagah mocs, since the nuva chest armor is one of the few pieces to come in the old dark gold, and the axle is in the wrong place to attach properly. You can only pull it off if you sacrifice the gear function.

With that said, when I hear this

I must say this: I made a custom torso to accommodate the nuva armor, and retain the gear function. It also slightly changes how the gear function works. Yet it still bears enough resemblance to pass as a Metru build.

So I counter you with this: if you build a custom torso that looks and functions just like the Metru Torso, BUT allows for something the Metru Torso does not allow, then it is much more creative than just giving up on what you want to do because the Metru Torso piece doesn’t allow for it.

Here, here!:slight_smile: :+1: :beers:

1 Like

Even if we ignore all of the customization that can be done with the limbs, this still isn’t true.

First off, there are many more pieces that can be put on the chest.

Then, you have a choice of what hips to use; the Vahki hips fit as well, or you could go custom.

And you could add greebling.

And you could even do stuff with the chest cavity; I have a WIP right now that uses the Metru torso, and, rather than cover the front with the traditional “Metru Chest” piece, I left it open and filled it out with small parts.

2 Likes

@Kodiak, well, these two MOCs aren’t something that comes in mind when I hear “metrubuild”. Can they even be considered Metru at the first place? I think that a creation can be called “metrubuild” only if it has all the features of it: proper shoulders, legs, etc.

@Voxovan, maybe I overestimated that. It would be more correct of me to say that there are more options in terms of appearance with Inikabuild than with metrubuild

All these designs had already been done by someone and I don’t think that there are any new ones. So when you build a metrubuild MOC, you have to choose from pre-existing torso armour designs.

Well, that’s something useful to know, thank you! So, do people cut these parts in order to attach them?

2 Likes

Come on. A metru build is a moc that happens to use the metru torso, regardless of how you feel. Don’t move the goalposts from them looking the same because they use the metru torso to requiring them to have similar arms, legs, and shoulders despite already meeting the criteria. For example, an inika build doesn’t stop being an inika build because X arms are used on a moc that uses the inika torso piece.

It is possible to do this while maintaining the gear function. Same applies to the hordika armor.

1 Like

The exact definition is unclear, but this entire discussion has been happening with the assumption that a “Metru build” uses the Metru torso piece.

Any disagreement is likely because you have a far more specific idea of what a “Metru build” is.

If you see a Metru build as something that uses the Metru torso, and the Metru hips, and the Metru shoulders, and the Metru forearms, and the Metru shins, and the Metru feet, then yes. Requiring a Metru build would make for a horribly boring contest.

But I don’t think that’s a very popular definition.

The two most popular conflicting definitions (from what I’ve seen) are these two:

1: The build must use part number 47305 as a torso.

2: The torso of the build must resemble part 47305 in terms of shape.

2 Likes

I love that MOC! :+1:

(That being said, even then, this MOC might be too greebleed/unique from the Hagah builds to have a united visual aesthetic with Norik and Iruni’s team. (I’m not saying variation isn’t doable, but since the Hagah are meant to be borderline clone sets, we should take care that neither the two members we’ve already gotten in set form nor any of the members who get an appearance at the end of this contest look like the odd man out.) Maybe use the custom chest armor from this MOC and custom shoulder armor that requires less arm customization than these Ultimate Dume Masks, and use some Piraka shins, and maybe Vahki hips, but keep everything else looking the same as Norik/Iruni.:+1:

iS thAT A ChALLENGE?!

hhhhECK I’m going to do it now.

1 Like

depends on if it’s fair to both players.

By that logic, this is a Metru build.

This isn’t a Metru build. It’s a ccbs build with a Metru torso.

3 Likes

That’s brainlet tier. It’s almost as if they’re not mutually exclusive. You can argue that the CCBS doesn’t belong in G1, but saying that it isn’t a metru build solely there’s too many CCBS pieces surrounding the torso isn’t a good take.

“Yeah you used the metru torso but there’s too many ccbs parts so it’s not actually a metru build”

4 Likes