BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Yeah, it’s really great.

I think I described it pretty well in my rant.
My problem is that it isn’t what the mask would look like on average, diegetically. It is a specific mask, created by the specific amphibious circumstance of Nuparu Mahri’s birth.
There are more than enough 3D-printed variations that I am perfectly fine with.

1 Like

Well, Greg never said that the Volitak that Nhidihki wore was an aquatic one, so that means that the possibility of it being a normal Volitak is completely there. If the winning model is wearing a non-aquatic Volitak, than that would be canon, right?

Yeah, I wouldn’t be against that (maybe beyond a personal preference for the Kualsi). There are however quite a few people in this thread arguing for only using the Volitak Mahri version (because it was in a set with a land dweller that had no new pieces despite there being precedents for the shaping of masks in MOC or even sets - looking at you, Jovan - that don’t correspond with their actual in-canon appearance) which is what I’m kinda angry about.

3 Likes

I know it’s not canon (yet), but it seems a fairly sensible approach that the regular Volitak is exactly the same as the Mahri version minus the jazz-club microphone stuck on the chin.

(and yes, it’s a shame the Kualsi design didn’t end up being assigned to Nidhiki instead)

3 Likes

It would be pretty sick if Varian’s arm blades could combine into a rhotoka shield. It gives off a rwby vibe and justifies the use of a shield with small melee weapons.

2 Likes

AHACKTUALLY … Why does that need justification?

2 Likes

Using a shield and an arm blade is very inefficient. Arm blades require a close offense which hinders the need for a shield. For a shield, that requires defensive positions that make small close range weapons pointless as properly using them would expose you to damage from enemies. A better weapon for a shield would be a spear or a firearm. Also multi-use weapons have always been cool in bionicle.

3 Likes

I always took it to be like a gas mask, and how they have rebreathers. It’s a stealth mask, so it’d make sense to be able to infiltrate dangerous areas with it in my opinion. Now, granted, that’s not an actual power of the mask, but it’s the look it gives me.

6 Likes

Even if you were right, there’s a hole in your logic - no matter what weapon you use, you will always need to open your shield defense to make effective attacks, small or large.

You are implying that shields are for keeping enemies at a distance, when that is not the case. Your statement:

is purely false. What would be easier, moving your shield (edit: technically moving your body in most cases) to make a fast jab with a dagger or bringing a larger weapon around for a strike, prolonging the time you have your shield down? In fact, the largest weapon you’d realistically be able to use with a shield are either an arming sword (what pop culture could call a shortsword) or a light war hammer. (which doesn’t exist in pop culture)

Firearm, maybe. A spear? Only in the case of a shield wall - realistically a spear would be far to unwieldy to provide any sort of mobility.

Your only point I can’t argue with :smiley:

2 Likes

I love that Varian uses the Armblades. :blush: :blush:
I think this profile has very fit to her, as “Toa of Psionics”.

elementaly, Toa of Psionics has not need their tools for focusing element.(Some people do that)
In other words, unlike other-type Toa’s, their tools are inherently more “weapons” than “wands”.

Psionics is very useful in dealing with “invisible power”.
But conversely, it has the weakness of lacking “physical attack power”. (Fire is heat, Air is a gust or cyclone, and Water is a large fluid mass, and they can exert great power)

but Varian’s Armblades had be mounted to her elbow.
this connection is unable to control it delicately with her wrists, but her physical-power becomes the power of kinetic energy directly, with less decline.
So She can make up for the weaknesses of the element’s characteristics.
and She also has shield, it gives her the high-durability to physical attack. yeah, there is no waste.

I think her tool-choice is very great! :blush: :blush: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

His majesty high emperor Ghid makes another post solely to signify that if anyone is arguing against spear-shield combos they should take it up with these guys

10 Likes

god I love that MOC. I love the Kamen Rider influence.

2 Likes

I just don’t like the shield because it’d look weird. I feel like if Varian has a Hagah-styled sheild, she’d need another large tool to help her to look balanced.

I think large shields like the hagah shields generally work better with long ranged weapons, like spears, firearms, and bows. If someone is using a ranged weapon, they don’t have to move around as much. They can keep people at a distance. A big shield is useful for protecting them, and it can be heavy, since they won’t be moving it all that much.

Folks with close combat weapons like swords, daggers, or shoulder mounted blades, need to move around more, to dodge attacks and find openings to attack, so they benefit from having a lighter smaller shield, that they can easily adjust to protect themselves.

4 Likes

I’ve seen a few custom rhotuka shields that include blades for Varian. It would be nice if something along those lines won when the Varian contest happens in 2022 or whenever

Varian can have the shield up and immediately switch to her blades if needed.

1 Like

You’re Welcome

Also friendly reminder to stay on topic please.

4 Likes

Compilation of answers about Nidhiki’s mask:

Is Iruini’s mask shaped like the mask of stealth? “Not to my knowledge, no”
Is the mask of stealth shaped like Iruini’s mask? “Pretty sure it is not”

(Worth noting that Nuparu Mahri had not been revealed when these questions were answered, which accounts for any vagueness)

Is Nidhiki’s mask the same as Nuparu’s but a different color? “Yes”
Are Nuparu and Nidhiki’s masks identical? “Not exactly, because Nuparu’s has tubes attached, etc.”
Are Mahri masks without tubes their standard shapes? “Far as I know, they are normal shape”
Nidhiki’s mask shape is the same as Nuparu’s, but is the color? “No, it would have been green”
Is it possible the breathing tube on Mazeka’s mask is an OOMN add-on? “No”

TL;DR Greg has been far more consistent on Nidhiki’s mask than he has on Krakua’s, which isn’t widely disputed. Nidhiki has a green Volitak shaped like Nuparu/Mazeka.

16 Likes

That helped a lot! Thanks!

EDIT: I applied the ranked voting process myself, so I now know what TTV sent to Greg. I’m not telling though! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

*Emphasis mine.

A rhotuka shield counts as both a shield and a firearm, does it not?

1 Like

I take it that this also applies to other small add-ons? (Hewkii’s spikes, Hahli’s Barraki eye, visors, etc.) They are unique to the Mahri?

Because Lesovikk’s Faxon doesn’t have a bulb up top.

1 Like