BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Hagah have wrong-shaped masks. End of story

2 Likes

Well I guess that solves the Mask of Emulation riddle. Good job team!

I love this idea. At the same time, it took me a few days to draw Iruini once, so Iā€™m not sure how Iā€™ll pull that off. But I love it nonetheless!

1 Like

What Iā€™d really like to know is if Toa Jovanā€™s and Tardukā€™s masks officially represent their non-organic masks, so they can be used as ā€œstandardā€ masks in this contest.

Gregā€™s answer is pretty vague, saying they are ā€œprobablyā€ different, and BS01 doesnā€™t say they are non-canon. I would like it if they were canon, but Iā€™d like to hear what people think.

So, hereā€™s some issues I havenā€™t seen discussed:

1. 3D-printed weapons. It hasnā€™t happened yet, but a moc can use 3d-printed weapons. Weapons are technically a way for a 3-d part to become canon.
  2. I think Norik and Iruiniā€™s masks should be disallowed, or at least discouraged. It would be odd for two Hagah to have a mask shaped like a Kualsi/Kiril
  3. By that above logic, what happens if two mocs wearing, say, a Hau-Shaped mask, win? Unlikely though it may be, I think itā€™s something to be considered.
  4. Regarding the Shelek, itā€™s important to note that the Shelek we see in 08 is shapeshifted to have a bat shape. None of the Hagah would have had a mask shaped like the 08 Shelek, because as far as we know, it didnā€™t exist yet, and it isnā€™t likely to be the default shape of a Shelek.
6 Likes

Itā€™s obvious that any ruleset will upset someone, so the only way to be fair is to upset everyone:

Artists must recolour the armour metallic pink (for all four), and they MUST draw the masks in the shape of HF helmets.

5 Likes

Specifically it showed up in the flipped format of the exclusive ā€˜movieā€™ variant; the one with the angular eyebrows and completely redesigned mouth. I have the mask, and the eyehole differences are quite noticeable.

Oh gosh Iā€™m starting another war arenā€™t I

ā€œSo, uh, youā€™re honoring that guy? Great Toa, legendary hero, butā€¦ā€

ā€œBut what Norik?ā€

ā€œThe thing is, he also has a Kualsi. Youā€™re reforging a Kualsi to a Kualsi with literally no differences.ā€

ā€œDonā€™t tell me who I can and canā€™t honor.ā€

ā€œAre you handpicking the guy with a Kualsi so your mask doesnā€™t have to change? I thought we agreed-ā€

ā€œWE AGREED TO HONOR PAST HEROES WITH OUR MASKS NOW SHUT UP AND REFORGE MY FACE PLEASEā€

6 Likes

Iruini is just honouring himself.

(Also, I donā€™t think their masks were ā€˜reforgedā€™. Their Hagah masks were made from scratch.)

7 Likes

After all of this, most people will probably just end up using the silver/gold mata masks, the Rhode, Olmak, or Lhikanā€™s Hau, which arenā€™t controversial anyways. Maybe the Metru matoran, since they have a bit of silver.

I do not envy Eljay, he still has to wade through this discussion and decide on rules that will inevitably get some people mad at him.

1 Like

This is similar to the metallic colour distribution ā€œproblemā€. The rules could address it, but it would end up putting unjustified-by-canon restrictions on some of the entries.

The only real way to deal with it would be to do the contests in series, and then disallow the masks from the previous winners. But thatā€™s kind of a bad idea. Why should Pouks get a wider range of possible Kanohi than Kualus? (For example. Note that this also goes for the colours, as well as Norik and Iruiniā€™s masks)

I think all we can do is hope that the votes work out.

I wouldnā€™t be upset if two Toa got the same mask, itā€™s not unreasonable to think that it could happen in-story. Besides, if the votes say that the mask shape fits the character, then so be it.

1 Like

agreed, it would be weird if more than one of them wore the same mask shape, for sure, but it wouldnā€™t necessarily break anything and isnā€™t a fair restriction to place on builders. Hopefully itā€™ll just end up being a situation like sand green on the artakha moc, where the winner worked out fine anyway and the rule didnā€™t end up mattering much at all.

2 Likes

We may just have to give a lot of slack (amongst our own minds) when voting for any flat dark gold submissions because theyā€™re getting really short ended here.

As you can see, the silver Kanohi blend MUCH easier. And flat dark gold is not an easy color to paint and as far as I am aware, not printed to the same standard?
Practicality may have us just have their mask recolored in the art contest because out of all flat gold masks, it seems only repeating a metru Hau is viable.

1 Like

Paint is still an option tbf, and if there is an art portion they might allow mask colors to be placeholder on the mocs

1 Like

If Iā€™m not mistaken, the Kanohi itself doesnā€™t necessarily need to be metallic, although that would fit in with the current two. But yes, I agree the gold mata kanohi donā€™t mix perfectly.

If you want to make a gold mask match exactly, then either you have to use dark gold with Lhikanā€™s mask, or pearl gold with the Olmak/stars Hau. But the pearl gold wouldnā€™t match with the dark gold shield.

EDIT: There is one other option, to use a gold mata mask, and use other gold mata masks for all the armor. But I donā€™t know anyone who is that rich.

Thats what I was shooting for. Although I havenā€™t seen a successful paintjob of flat dark gold. Iā€™d much rather it be recolored in the art contest since the color is so rare.

From what we know of the Hagah I think it should be metallic. So much to the point Iā€™d really be much more comfortable with just allowing placeholder masks in the contest or having the moc be pallet swappedā€¦ its hard dealing with this color. :weary:

Thatā€™s why you go with the wild and crazy colours.

#rosegoldpouks2021

1 Like

Technically they just have to have metallic armor, not metallic Kanohi. But yeah aesthetically I agree they should have metallic masks.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, what masks are people planning to use/have used for their hagah mocs?

Mine have a Rode, a Knights Kingdom helmet, a Sanok, and a Kraakhan (that last one is under the assumption that masks were placeholder; Iā€™ll probably change it to Lhikanā€™s

For those concerned about the timeline, Teridaxā€™s Hagah team was formed ā€œat least 1,300 years agoā€, Lhikan became a Toa 7,500 years ago, and the Mangai were formed 4,000 years ago. So a Toa Hagah could reasonably be honoring Lhikan.

#no

1 Like

Thankful for the clarification! I was scheming (But had not yet actually started) a Hagah with an alternative coloured Kraakhan to honour Teridax. Since the Makuta honoured the Hagah for their deeds, it didnā€™t seem too far fetched to me.

1 Like