BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

I’m currently using a Rode, but I might consider painting masks if I can get the colors good, I haven’t painted any parts before.

I’m not sure. I want more flat gold Toa, but these helmets man… frustrating. I was originally using that Rode on my Kualus, but that Miru is actually looking pretty appealing. I’m also going to be using my metru Hau on one, not decided who.

I’ve got the color good myself, and I know B4L has done it too: @bionicle4life on Instagram: "Takanuva with his Adaptive Aerial Armor painted Flat Dark Gold. Takanuva was given Adaptive Armor by Artakha, this was shortly after he found himself not being able to pass through a light barrier on Karzahni. He used his new armor to defend Metru Nui against hords of Frostelus and the Dark Hunter, Dweller. Unfortunately, this form of the Toa of Light did not last and on a patrol in Metru nui he was attacked by a shadow leech that partitially drained Takanuva's light... This MOC is based on the render of @galva_nize_ #bionicle #3dprint #custommask #flatdarkgold #avohkii #makuta #takanuva #matanui #metrunui #moc #galva3d #kanohi #bonk #lego #biogram #metrumarch #legostagram #legomoc #instalego #legophotography #legofan #mocmonday"

@Willess12 I’ve got a Volitak on my Pouks, and Galva’s masks of Growth, Clairvoyance, and Rahi Control on the other three. Though I guess I should change those now huh…

Do not double post. -Eljay

1 Like

Only if you want your set to become canon, and not just inspire artwork that will be canon. Maybe, the rules aren’t solid yet.

And here’s an example of my own paint work trying to match metru gold:

9 Likes

Oh that looks nice. I might have to DM you later to ask about your process.

1 Like

I’m using Galva’s masks for the most part. Plus one of them is based on a prototype piece.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some people use Helryx and Nikila’s masks. The masks can pretty much be any shape you want but I fear some will overthink what Greg said.

2 Likes

Just swap them around. Then none of them have the “correct” shape. /s

2 Likes

Well, that’s the thing, if you use a “standard” mask, your MOC might be sent to Greg for approval with no art contest.

I don’t really care.

I might switch to a regular mask for one of them if that’s what people really want.

Thats beautiful work my friend, might I inquire upon your process later?

1 Like

go for it

1 Like

@Eljay question regarding the rules:

A common issue I’ve run into is weapon pieces with the handle broken off. If someone were to use a piece like this, but it wasn’t necessary for the build (meaning that you could just as easily build the same moc with an undamaged piece) would this be allowed, or would it fall under “no cut/modified pieces”?

I mean, you could still use them; they just wouldn’t be the canonical shapes of those masks. (might upset Galva/anyone who likes his masks, though, as you’d essentially be decanonizing them)

1 Like

I’m not sure what the voters would prefer, I was just letting you know what the preliminary rules were for canonization.

1 Like

I actually just used some of Galva’s and KhingK’ masks in studio, assyming they are just placeholders. I need to replace the Mask of Emulation with something though.
#nopinkmetal

1 Like

I was planning on using a golden zaath for my Bomonga but I can’t figure out how to add the parts pack yet.
A full video tutorial would be nice tho.

Do you guys think I could use a gold Kraahkan for an armor piece? It wouldn’t be an actual mask, so there are no moral issues, and it could represent the goal of the team.

yeah that’s my issue

It would be really big brained to comb through the history of the matoran universe and find ancient heroes who’s personalities or deeds would resonate with each of the hagah’s personalities and attributes, and giving a reason that makes sense for each of the hagah’s mask choices.

Also important to remember that the ancient heroes don’t need to be Toa specifically. So for example, if you used a Rode on a hagah, there’s no reason it couldn’t have been in honor of Axonn (especially since he had quite the public side-gig after leaving the hand of artakha and before being recruited into the OoMN).

Do not double post. -Eljay

4 Likes

“Kualus has a Miru shape because he likes birds, the end”

Do you think it would be reasonable to use a Metru-matoran mask? I know the half silver masks are generally reserved for Matoran, and while the past hero could have been a Matoran, I don’t know how likely it would have been.

jury’s still out I think on if the hagah masks need to be fully metallic, so best to wait before picking one of the metrutoran masks