BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Due to the issue with BS01, that unfortunately is not an option.

BS01 catalogues canon. It does not decide canon. If they want to be unprofessional and exclude information based on their personal misgivings, that’s their fault. They’re a fan wiki at the end of the day, not the actual freakin’ gospel.

6 Likes

Weather we like it or not, this is the compromise TTV had with BS01 to host these contests, and I don’t think TTV is going to change that.

Given the fact that we haven’t shared any information pertaining to the contests outside of this discussion topic, It’s still a bit premature to create your entry for an art contest that may or may not even happen before the rules and requirements are in any way decided.

The entire reason for the separation between Art and Moc contests has always been due to a compromise between us and BS01 due to their reluctance to canonize MoCs with 3D printed/non-official parts. This has been reiterated again and again since these contests’ inception. It is the situation, and until such a time as BS01 changes their tune, we will continue to operate under the requirements of that compromise.

4 Likes

technically, neither does TTV …

1 Like

Correct, Greg does, but TTV are the ones who interact with Greg on behalf of the community.

2 Likes

I’m not sure why you guys have to bend the knee to BS01. It’s your contest, not theirs, and Greg’s the one who gives the “sure,” not them. If Greg approves something they don’t like, they can’t really do anything.

And both art contests so far have canonized non-existing masks. Where exactly is the issue? Nothing practically changes anyway.

4 Likes

So what you’re telling me is that there might not be an art contest, but there has to be an art contest if there’s 3d parts.

And we’re holding a contest for the Hagah, in which many people will want to use 3d masks and spearheads.

1 Like

Two reasons:

1. We don’t run BS01. BS01 tends to be where Canon is compiled. Having the winners of these contests reflected on BS01 legitimizes them to the broader community in a way that us saying “Greg said X” does not.
  2. These may be our contests but they are primarily a community initiative and they affect the entire community. Compromises were made very early on in the process and they will continue to be honoured. Simple as that.

The practical difference is that art is not a non-official LEGO compatible piece. It’s one thing to make art representing a Bionicle Figure with pieces that don’t exist, it’s another thing to actively canonize non-official Lego Pieces. Not to say that I agree the distinction is worth working around but that’s where we’re at.

What I’m telling you is that most likely these contests will continue in the same format they have. But more to the point We’re taking a break from deciding things right now. Nothing has been decided in regards to the Hagah contest, whatsoever.

3 Likes

100% this :clap: BS01 doesn’t dictate canon, if Greg approves a MOC with 3D-printed pieces and announces it as canon, it is canon and BS01 has to put it on their site, whether they like it or not.

7 Likes

BS01 doesn’t exactly have to do anything.

1 Like

I think this compromise is fine for the sake of not causing a schism in the community, and the previous competitions produced results that I’m happy with.

1 Like

I mean, yeah, well, that’s technically true. That’d be the epitome of unprofessionalism though.

1 Like

For me, this sums the issue up perfectly.

1 Like

Here’s the deal.

I have less than zero interest in rehashing this discussion. We compromised with BS01 in a way that worked specifically to make sure that these contests ran with the least pushback possible. Therefore, we will continue to honour that compromise to the best of our abilities as it was discussed and decided almost a year ago.

Have an issue with the compromise, bring it up with BS01. Talking about how we shouldn’t have to compromise or that BS01 has to honour the contests if we choose not to honour that compromise is literally useless in the scope of these contests.

Until such a time that BS01 changes their tune or the compromise is no longer required, it is a compromise we will continue to take into consideration when drafting rules and requirements. End of Story

4 Likes

But BS01 was consulted to help decide the rules of what becomes canon.

It is true that what Greg says, goes, but BS01 can affect what he says in the first place.

And, as it stands, BS01 has affected the rules such that no MOCs can become canon, for fear that one of them may contain 3d printed parts.

The free-for-all idea already requires that BS01 agree to a rule change that any MOC can become canon at all. I find it hard to believe that they will suddenly change their tune to allow MOCs with 3d printed parts to become canon.

Any free-for-all would have to disallow 3d printed parts just for BS01 to maybe agree to a rule change. And I don’t think that’s worth it.

This is true, and TTV totally could just completely disregard the opinions of those at BS01. But that isn’t a very considerate thing to do, especially given BS01’s contributions to the community.

What changes is that the MOCs are not considered canon. In the eyes of those at BS01, it is “wrong” to equate 3d printed parts with official Lego parts by including both on a canon model.

By making only the art canon, no 3d printed parts become official. Only their appearance.

I agree that it’s a fairly minor thing to get upset about, but there is definitely a distinction.

2 Likes

Just because one (or some) of the mods on BS01 have an issue with 3D printed parts. That’s literally the only reason. And it’s dumb. I have an issue with Gold Good Guy being the canon set form of Turaga Lhikan, but it is canon and needs to acknowledged as such. I have an issue with the winning Helryx design, but it is canon and needs to be acknowledged as such.

And if a MOC with a 3D-printed mask wins and gets declared canon by Greg, it is canon and needs to be acknowledged as such. BS01’s personal bias has no say in this.

I would like to ask, somewhat unrelated, is it out of the question that if a MOC has no 3D-printed parts, both the MOC and artwork inspired by it could be sent to Greg to become canon?

This way we can get canon art for all the Hagah, and some MOCs of them might become canon too. I would greatly like that.

I’m not asking for an official decision, just if that possibility is on the table.

So discussion ■■■■■. Since some of the rhotuka colors are lacking, like Gaaki can’t use an official metru blue rhotuka because an official one doesn’t exist, what do you guys think? Should the metru colored rhotuka be a present for your moc? It’d HAVE to be a painted part in that case

I can’t say sh
ift?

1 Like

I’m using a silver one. My headcanon for now is that their rhotuka colors did not change when they were mutated. But I think that is up to personal preference, not something to be decided by rules.

1 Like