BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

So why can’t the Hagah masks be predefined by the MOC Contest?

Either way, all of the Art has the same mask.

1 Like

Why weren’t Helryx and Artakha?

If there’s no need to restrict artistic choice, why would we? So that MOCists can get more gratification?

1 Like

Because it was literally impossible to make a canon mask without requiring the use of a 3d printer, which TTV has said they will never require.

For the Hagah, it is entirely possible to make a 100% canon model using only official Lego pieces.

I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but artistic choice is already extremely restricted, at least by your definition, with artists having to follow the rest of the MOC.

1 Like

That makes no sense. The situation between the Helryx and Hagah masks is the exact same.

You’re twisting my words and you know it.

1 Like

It’s really not. The Hagah could use an official Lego piece as their canon mask. Helryx could not.

why, exactly?

1 Like

Because her mask is the Mask of Psychometry, in the shape of a Mask of Psychometry. And standard Kanohi do not share shapes.

1 Like

So you propose we go through a whole different debacle over which masks the Hagah wore?

There’s a stark difference between having to have your art based off of a MOC and having to follow it identically in one of the most defining features.

1 Like

Not really. The Hagah mask don’t necesary have the shape of the original mask. Norik have a Pehkui shaped like an Noble Kiril. Gaaki could have a Mask of Clairvoyance shaped like a Zatth, we don’t know.

Iruini Kualsi has a Kualsi shape mask not because he wear a Kualsi, but because of a past Kualsi user hero

I honestly don’t know what you mean here. The Hagah mask powers are known, but their shapes are not. It is known that the Hagah masks are not in the standard shapes of their powers, because they are honouring past heroes. It is also known that their masks are in the shapes of other standard Kanohi shapes.

As such, the Hagah masks can canonically be in the shapes of masks with official Lego pieces. What “debacle” is there to be had?

2 Likes

wasn’t aware of that. I was referring to this:

1 Like

There wouldn’t be any “debacle”. I don’t mean that the Hagah mask shapes would be determined by a separate poll; I mean that the final canon shapes would be determined by the winners of the MOC Contests. Hence, they are “predefined” for the Art Contest.

1 Like

I see how that would work in light of my previous ignorance about mask shapes.

All that said, there are people who already have artwork and 3d masks for their models. There are quite a lot of people who put a ton of work into their entries way ahead of time.

2 Likes

Is there? I can’t imagine people could make art before the MOC portion is concluded.

there are.

1 Like

That seems… ill-advised.

Whether or not the Art Contest is allowed to change the masks, there is still a lot of stuff that we know it can’t change, like metallic armour colour, armour style, colour distribution, spearhead…

EDIT: Unless they are anticipating that TTV will run it as a free-for-all. (which I hope they don’t)

1 Like

Is it not the point of the art to be inspired by the MOC that wins?

I don’t exactly want to elaborate too far on what has been shared with me, but mask art can be designed ahead of time under the assumption that the contests will be run similarly to the previous ones, regardless of whether or not the accompanying MOC wins.

1 Like

There has been preliminary talk of running it all at once; just a single contest where you can submit a MOC or art, and the overall winner is canon.

The problem with that is: what happens if a MOC wins with 3d printed parts?

No, you have to go with the 2-stage setup.

1 Like

Uh…it gets canonized? I don’t know what’s confusing you here. Not that I necessarily think we absolutely shouldn’t do an art portion, but if we don’t, then custom parts probably won’t be the big problem.

3 Likes