BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

No, yeah, I understand making the sets 5:1 like that. I don’t like it, but I understand it, especially from that era. I just don’t know why that ratio was further implemented in the expanded media with the rest of the tribes and whatnot who were never going to be sets. That’s one of the things I liked about G2, that the tribes had lads and ladies in each of them.

But honestly though, I’d love to see that.

4 Likes

shenanigans with coconuts and the invention of lipstick

I am old, but sadly I’m not old enough to remember the specifics of the contests at the time. Your guess is as good as mine.

No it isn’t? If you doubt me, go ahead and count the numbers of people who entered/voted over the last two contests and the amount of entries received for this one. This isn’t an assumption; if it’s increasingly unpopular, the number would be doing anything other than steadily growing.

How long will it be before another vote is required? Some have campaigned for a vote after every contest.

Two thoughts:

-Whether or not the community survived is really completely irrelevant to whether or not we can have nice things like canon contests.

-I don’t know about you, but I’ve seen the Bionicle community shrink over the last ten years - barring the burst from G2 - and that hardly fits the description of surviving. Dying slower than the Battlestar Galactica fanbase might be a better description.

They could do that, yeah. If they did a poll, which I’m still of the opinion that they don’t need to yet.

It’s one of a kind and it’s also Artakha’s face.

Just as important as the final model, which is why the art was allowed to change it - because at that point it was an artstyle/mask contest.

2 Likes

People who enter and/or vote isn’t automatically synonymous with people who are enjoying the contests. I switched to the “end the contests” group not long after Helryx, yet I still entered both the Artakha and Hagah contests because if they’re going to continue, I want to do what I can to make sure they run smoothly, but I still would prefer they don’t happen at all. I entered my Hagah entry with only a few days left despite having my entry complete for months because I simply didn’t have the energy or care to do it. I know I’m not the only one who shares this sentiment.

4 Likes

IIRC, the Dark Hunter contest only required people to mail photos of their entries and a short character bio. If accepted, they had to mail their set to be professionally photographed for the Dark Hunter book. If there were rules regarding building techniques, they weren’t made public by LEGO. Plenty of magazine contest entries used illegal builds.

If cut pieces weren’t allowed, it’s possible LEGO failed to notice Chargers’ or was too hard to tell from the original photo sent.

2 Likes

The only parts rule that existed was “Build a model using pieces from your LEGO BIONICLE TM collection” and this rule was consistent through out all of the Magazine Canon contests. Which would limit people to whatever parts they had in their Bionicle box

Dag sums it up.

I do expect most people who enter are in favour of them, but fundamentally it’s still an assumption.

This is exactly what we need.

If 60% of people love peanuts and the other 40% go into anaphylactic shock when they’re exposed to them, would you still say they’re a net benefit when everyone is forced to eat them? Is it not better to just find another ‘nice thing’ to eat?

That’s inevitable. Besides, I will refer you to the three Bionicle games currently in the works and the surge of digital MOCing and 3D printing. We have enough nice things to survive off of already.

1 Like

Y’know going through these “contest should end” posts they really feel like they are implying there’s hundreds of these dissatisfied and upset people with the contests just waiting to come out in droves to end the contests but from what I’ve seen at this point there’s like 5 maybe 10 people max who I’ve seen repeatedly wanting the contest to end. I think there’s more people who don’t care either way then there is those who want the contest to end.

8 Likes

I mean there was defiately more vocal people when the Helryx contest ran. Most people voiced their dissatisaction by voting for hoseryx is what I’ve heard. Since nothing fruitful came from their attempt most people I think gave up

Also I don’t know how many there truly are that want these contest to end but I know I want them to end because they are affecting me and may affect my enjoyment in bionicle or at the very least they should continue with up most caution

2 Likes

I imagine this is the case, but still it’s all based on assumptions that we ought to have concretely proven.

And while we’re on the subject of people who don’t care either way, I personally have seen basically zero activity regarding it in Maskposting. At least no posts that rise to the top of the feed. Meanwhile stuff like the Bionicle games and Sokoda’s MOC get talked about all the time. Surprising considering how many designs were entered and how important the Hagah are to the story.

I’ll also put it another way: if 60% of people genuinely want more contests, 20% don’t and 20% are completely indifferent, are the contests really that worth doing?

I know I’m plucking these numbers out of the air but if numbers like this actually emerged from a ‘yes/no/don’t care’ poll, you’d still have to wonder whether they’re really worth all the effort and controversy. At least for major characters.

Well yes because it’s 80% who want it to continue in total if we count either way or it’s 40% who want it to end in total counting either way people so either way it’s a majority for it to continue and also as I said before I think a lot of this will pass once Lariska comes since we don’t have to have 10k debates on what a Metru is or what the Hagah should look like or whatever since Lariska isn’t bound to a predefined look.

2 Likes

I personally honestly think there are more people against the contests for canon reasons than there are people in favor of them for canon reasons.

The largest portion of the pro-contest faction are likely people who just are interested in contests, but in the end are fine with whatever their result is.

Which I still think is a bad thing when concerning canon contests.

Another interesting question I’m asking myself:

What voting result would you get if only people involved in fan projects = the ones most keeping Bionicle alive would vote vs if only the general community of “consumers” voted?

3 Likes

Well considering the literal countless debates over what the cannon is on what a Metru build is and what Greg means in regards to if the Hagah look like each other Imma go on a hunch and say the vast majority of the people invested in the contests are invested in it for the cannon not just as a contest.

And like has been said and implied before there is easily more people interested in this than against it. The original vote, amount of entries, amount of people and comments in this thread etc all point to this.

1 Like

You misunderstand what I’m saying: both the people who are for them and who are against them for canon reasons care about canon. It’s just that one side wants canon to be closed, while the other one doesn’t.

Also if you look closely, it’s usually the same like 10-20 people mostly involved in any discussion.

You might be interpreting that the wrong way.
Imagine you care about canon, but dislike the contests - what are your options if contests are happening and you can do nothing about that?

a) resign from canon and stop bothering (which is the exact opposite of what the contests are supposedly intended to be for)

b) Through discussion, voting and entering your own entries try to make the contests at least end with a tolerable result. Nothing to lose that wouldn’t be lost anyways if you didn’t participate. Or to phrase it differently: Damage reduction

3 Likes

I don’t trust the public to vote what becomes canon, let alone a small group of people.

I’ve already stated in here that if they implement a parts regulation. It will be way easier for me to not mind the winning entry as much. Not everyone agrees on this and that’s fine I just don’t see the point in system bionicle figures in canon. I get that you can get great shaping out of it but I don’t feel it fits with every other canon Bionicle apperances

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but no one’s going to vote for a system mech in BIONICLE. And if they do, it’d get so much backlash it’d be DQ’d. Too much system is the least of our worries right now.

3 Likes

You say that still look at the finalist of the arthaka contest and the helryx contest. Its a non issue for the hagah but after the hagah we are back to the more lenient rules.

1 Like

Ah.

I see.

I guess we have extremely different stances on system in constraction, then.

3 Likes

System in constraction isn’t my issue with it. I’ve stated before that my enjoyment come from the cohesion between canon fan models and sets and how it all works together. Having a figure mainly built out of system next to them ruin that cohesion simple as that. If you build a non canon moc then please go ahead and do whatever but for these contest we are doing canon mocs.

You don’t need to agree but this is my stance on the issue

2 Likes

Here’s a controversial but genuine opinion: there’s no such thing as a “canon build” or a “canon set”.

“Canon” refers to a story and characters within it, not the merchandise. Sure, a figure might accurately portray certain aspects of canon, but it necessarily can’t be it.

Everyone knows the canon statement that the characters don’t look like LEGO bricks in-universe (ie in-canon). Tahu is a biomechanical humanoid, not chunks of plastic. So let people use whatever parts, scale etc they want to represent characters to the best of their ability.

It’s fine to argue for a representation in-keeping with those produced by LEGO, but that’s not about canon. It’s about wanting a cohesive action figure collection.

3 Likes

Nah its also about having a world cohesion

1 Like