BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Well like I said (a bit differently) its the mask of projectiles. The Name is just kinda wrong. Everything that’s inanimate can be used as a projectile with the use of this mask. And it will most likely hit.

1 Like

Except how do you then explain Mazeka? This only mentions the tubes explicitely, not the “rebreather”, which Mazeka establishes is found even on land.

Exactly this. It affects Varian, Chiara, and the Hagah, because their masks are not established as being the standard shape. Nidhiki is a different case.

Official Greg Discussion | Page 233
Are their masks the same shape as the normal versions of these masks, with the exception of the tubes, or are they slightly modified (ie. what appears to be a breathing apparatus on the bottom of Nuparu’s mask only being on his and not on Nidhiki’s)?
Far as I know, they are normal shape

As established in the question, shape here includes the breathing apparatus, but not the seperate, attached tube pieces, thus it not being a part of the normal is exactly what is denied. Further this with Mazeka, and it’s pretty self-evident what the standard shape is. (Not to mention the question referring specifically to Nidhiki.)

Official Greg Discussion | Page 205
Would the mask of stealth that Nidhiki wore be the same as the one Nuparu now wears, only a different colour? Could it have been a different style like Lhikan’s hau?
Yes

This one is kind of ambigious. Don’t answer x or y questions with yes or no.

Official Greg Discussion | Page 229
Does Nuparu Mahri’s Kanohi look exactly like Nidhiki’s or was there some difference to them?
Not exactly, because Nuparu’s has tubes attached, etc.

Yes, Greg says “etc.” but keep in mind here that Greg does not know the sets like we do. Additionally, there is another feature to remove from Nuparu’s mask here - the visor. Regardless, this establishes that the only difference between the two is less features - not regional variation like Lhikan. Given that the rebreather is part of the standard shape, it is weird to remove it from Nidhiki here.

4 Likes

Yeah ok. But I still think that the rebreather shouldn’t be part of it. I will just use that for my mocs. I will accept that in actual canon mazekas might be the correct shape but that rebreather is just too random in my opinion.

1 Like

In my defence for why silver should be allowed on Nidhiki, we have first of Helryx and Arthaka whom both have redefined their colorschemes. Helryx despite meant to be Dark blue became canonically Mata blue and Arthaka added Gun metal to his sand green colorscheme.

Further more it would look good next to Lhikan if he too had a metal color for armoring. Lastly I have these renders I made in stud.io (The Huna is a place holder as the volitak don’t exist in stud.io):

I built this Nidhiki taking into consideration his mutated forms colorscheme and color distribution as I think it works well. I’m gonna leave this discussion on this note though as silver and green Nidhiki is a pipe dream if anything since Greg has stated before that he doesn’t have silver

1 Like

This is true, sometimes.

I’ve made many custom torsos in the past and then just said “Wait, I could do this exact thing in the exact proportions with the medium CCBS frame”

2 Likes
  1. I love the Vahki build
  2. Yes, but every single build also fails to stand against a custom build. At the end of the day, Inika vs. Hordika doesn’t matter if custom builds like Artakha completely decimate the playing field.

Heck yeah. Preach the gospel truth.

…Huh? I can understand the eras of G1 banding together, but - and even moreso than the Nuva in this instance - you’ve got a team of Toa one of whom is half the height of the other. It’d be a little jarring.

Greg also said the MU beings were mammals because they breathe.

But here’s the thing - ‘Greg is wrong’ does not equal ‘What Greg said is untrue’ because Greg confirming or denying aspects of canon is literally why there’s an Ask Greg topic as opposed to an Ask Swinnerton or Ask Thompson topic. If he said this, repeatedly, in different points in time, then he absolutely meant it, and it’s canon.

As for the whole Nidhiki concept… I’m entirely for a custom Volitak as long as it represents the breathing apparatus. It can’t hurt if TTV reaches out to Greg in advance for that final bit of clarification and the ramifications of Yes or No at least partially explained. “Yes, completely identical” and “No, go crazy with the design” are both pretty major statements and the answer shouldn’t be a knee-jerk reaction.

Also, for those who want to ensure silver Nidhiki, one thing Greg has been clear on is his mask is green. So mayb try making all green silver and all silver green? Idk. Personally I wouldn’t even use Metru build.

oh no I hear the sound of the guns

6 Likes

I always answer every x or y question yes.

Have you considered that he says yes to both?

“Are they the same mask?” as in, this is the same mask Nidhiki was supposed to wear. Keep in mind this was asked in 2007, when the Maori were first revealed. And I mean just revealed – if you look at another question there, people were speculating on how the final product would look.

“Could Nidhiki have a regional variant?” So it’s the same mask, but Nid could have a different shape.

This question was about Nuparu, not Nid. Greg is specifying that Nuparu’s isn’t standard because it has “tubes attached, etc.” He doesn’t say anything about Nid (aside from the fact that Nid’s mask doesn’t have gills tubes).

2 Likes

Tbh I don’t mind Metru build Nidhiki so I’m gonna build him as a Metru build. However I do see why its not for everyone.

Edit: as for the Nidhiki’s Volitak, Greg has said Mazeka’s Volitak is standard shape. Greg has also made several remarks about Nidhiki’s Volitak being standard shape in the past. All I can say is that I’m a fan of the kualsi volitak headcanon but i have to concede on it for these contest as Greg has been pretty clear about it. As for any other Volitak wearer you can use whatever

2 Likes

I’m just going to link my post (with all the Greg Quotes I could find) from the first time this discussion made the rounds:

Take note of the last edit. The way that Greg answers the second question makes it seem like the “breathing device” on the Volitak is a standard postproduction addition to the mask, like the scope on the Akaku. I’d say it would be possible for Nidhiki to have a mask that looks exactly like Mazeka’s but without the breather/muffler/whatever it is.

Additionally, although the Volitak is not explicitly mentioned, Greg says that “the Mahri masks” only had visors because they were created to work underwater.

1 Like

It’s not strength, it’s speed, but when you’re going fast enough, you’re gonna have a lot of force. I’m sure if Pohatu was using the Kakama and ran into someone, the impact would have quite a bit of force behind it, but no one’s saying the Kakama makes the Pakari useless. The Pakari increases physical strength, not accuracy. The Sanok increases accuracy, but not physical strength (can’t lift heavy things, doesn’t work on melee attacks). I don’t see an issue.

I personally have no feelings one way or the other about silver Nidhiki, but Greg is clear that he isn’t silver at all.

3. Toa Nidhiki is green and silver, correct?
3) No, he’s just green. He’s a Toa of Air. Toa Iruini is green and silver.

3. You also said Nidhiki was all-green, and not Silver/Green. Wouldn’t the latter be more logical, seeing as Lhikan is Gold/Red?
3) Nope. Because Nidhiki didn’t come from the same place Lhikan did, so no reason he would need to be dual-colored like Lhikan. After all, neither Matau nor Lewa is dual-colored, so why would any other Toa of Air be?

When Nidhiki a Toa, we know he wore a mask of Stealth in the same shape as Toa Nuparu. Now, was Nidhiki mask the same silver color and did he have the blue visor?
No, it would have been green

However, I do agree that having Nidhiki be entirely one shade of green would seem out of place next to Lhikan. To remedy this, I personally headcanon that Nidhiki’s secondary/metallic color is metallic green. The upsides are that it is technically canon compliant (he’s still all green, just not one shade) and it would look better next to Lhikan. The downside is that it would be difficult to moc, since metallic green isn’t a common color for pieces.

8 Likes

3. Toa Nidhiki is green and silver, correct?
3) No, he’s just green. He’s a Toa of Air. Toa Iruini is green and silver.

now hold on just one minute

3 Likes

I love how Greg contradicts himself here, lol, Matau is grey/green or Grey/Silver/green as Hordika and Lewa is Black/Lime/Green or Black/Lime/Green/Silver as Nuva or Grey/Silver/Lime as adaptive armor. Doesn’t change the fact Nidhiki is all green but find it funny that he mentions Nidhiki is all green like all other Toa of air

2 Likes

Greg doesn’t consider the “under-armor” color of joints as part of the color scheme, evidently. Lewa is Green because every major area on him is a shade of green; same with Matau Metru.

Nidhiki could have green, grey, black, or even silver as an under-armor joint color and unless it was extremely prevalent Grg would probably say he is Green.

Also, that quote basically says Nidhiki does stand out in comparison with Lhikan. He’s basically saying they don’t look alike.

2 Likes

To be fair, that would be saying the person asking the question also contradicted themselves because Lhikan is actually gold/red/black. I don’t think either are counting colors like black or grey, which (in these examples) only occur on the connector pieces, as if it’s part of their body, not armor. But the fact Greg mentions Lewa is a strong case for allowing Nidhiki to be multiple shades of green because Lewa is technically all green as well, but two distinct shades of it.

3 Likes

Fair just found it a bit funny

1 Like

I’m positive about Sanok-Orde, but I also see the opinion that it certainly seems to be a duplicate of abilities.

So I once studied from the official depiction how “Telekinesis” works in the BIONICLE world.

I’ve used two examples for this-one when Nuju actually used the “Mask of Telekinesis” twice in LoM.
He once easily broke the wall and once lifted Vakama to the top of the cliff. And when he was hit hard, the effect disappeared and Vakama fell (although he was able to land).

Another example is Varian in Short-tale “No One Gets Left Behind”. (This is a fan creation, but now it’s Canon)
In this novel, she replenishes enough energy to stop the Dark Hunter boat and then actually stops it.
This is a real quote: “she thrust her elemental energy at the boat. The boat tilted and rocked, but ultimately slowed down, and eventually stopped.”

From these depictions, I conclude that the “Telekinesis” in the BIONICLE world behaves fairly accurately like “an absolutely invisible, well-defined, third arm that reaches a fairly wide area.”
They have the ability to clearly interfere with kinetic energy, and which can be dispelled or defeated if the subject rebels as much as possible.
(The reason is that when Varian stopped the boat, the boat did not stop immediately and resisted the “strength” of Telekinesis.)

And Orde was the first psionic Toa. In other words, he was the Toa who survived from the time the MU was built until it stopped functioning.
He must be quite skilled in handling that power and should be able to manipulate Telekinesis “as a matter of course” as a “third arm”.

And Sanok has special features that Telekinesis can’t.
-Even if the mask comes off the face, the projectile will aim at the target.
-The projectile is compensated for its power (in addition to what Senit shared, I said somewhere that Greg “If some one throws a stuffed dool, its power can be more powerful than expected to stuffed doll”. I remember seeing the reply, but I couldn’t find the post)
-Does not consume elemental energy for use.
-Use cannot control the rate of fire. In other words, once fired, no matter how much someone attacks the wearer, he cannot interrupt speed and the aim.

If telekinesis is an invisible third long-arm, sanok is an intangible, fully automatic sniper system.
As I mentioned earlier, while Psionics are useful for handling information and invisible forces, they have the weakness of lacking physical attack power (Fire is Heat, Air is Cyclone, and so on. And Water is a lot of mass)
From this, I think it’s not unnatural for Orde to wear a “practical” mask called Sanok to assist with physical forces.
(Of course, if I see an Orde idea that isn’t wearing Sanok but is very appealing, I might change my mind! :wink:)

9 Likes

Maybe a huna, but I dunno if that would fit his personality.

4 Likes

If he really was Toa who just challenged head-on in any situation, I seriously think he had died long ago.
But he wasn’t.
He has survived many crises, defended Matorans and confronted adversity.

Sure, I think he’s certainly impatient and angry, but it doesn’t mean he is a clumsy assaultman.
Rather, as seen in The Yesterday Quest, he devised a series of extremely realistic measures in an emergency, and even if he escaped on the spot, he never stopped to make an effort to win in the end.
I think this is what makes Orde’s character interesting:
the courage and judgment of an Hero hidden behind a slightly rude attitude. :grinning:

4 Likes

So what do you think of that particular mask choice?

3 Likes

As a Toa of Psionics, Orde can already effectively turn invisible by masking his presence from the minds of other beings, but not technological systems like robots.[1] Really the only advantage a Huna would give is that it can fool technological systems.

1 Like