BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Or maybe Matoran Krakua floating in the air, in an invisible fireman’s carry.

3 Likes

@Eljay Hats off to you guys, you did a great job with the design of the polls (which were inevitably more complicated than the Helryx and Artakha ones). Very well-organized with each creator’s consent listed, not too many or too few polls for each character (to spread them out since so many entries).

Really excited to see the results!

7 Likes

This probably has been discussed already, but out of curiosity what if the winners all happen to be art pieces?

We’d still host an additional art contest for a group shot.

6 Likes

Seeing how I only vote for things that are
a) purist outside of the mask
b) meet my colour preferences
c) are cohesive with the rest of the Hagah and built well
d) are actual MOCs (because somehow I can’t take art seriously next to MOCs (might be just a personal thing, though, and also I’m a MOCist myself, so…)

I found it actually very tough to vote in some polls. Far too much painted entries.

My guess is that mabye 10% of my preferences make it to round 2, if that many.

Which just sums up again what a complete loss these contests are to me.

And yet…

3 Likes

Well, I can hardly be against something without providing an alternative that meets my approval, can I?

And everything else is just damage reduction.

I vote for the ones that I think are cool.
End of story.

6 Likes

Having finally looked at all the results together in the polls, I’m very satisfied with the amount of uniqueness that has managed to shine through without making them look like they dont belong together. Also, I’m very excited to join the group shot portion of the contest!

2 Likes

I have a question for any artists planning to submit artwork for the second round of the Hagah contest:

What are your plans for changing creator-approved aspects of the winning entries (mask, spear tip, metallic colour)? Would you try to minimize changes, only avoiding repetition of masks or balancing the colours? Or would you change them to whatever you wanted regardless of whether or not there’s any “consistency issues” with the original winners?

Obviously there’s going to be plenty of different (equally correct) answers to this, but I’m just trying to get a feel of how much weight I should put on potentially-changing elements of entires when voting.

I probably won’t enter the art myself, but as a voter, I prefer artists to only change the mask/spear tip if there’s duplicates (or a banned mask).

1 Like

I think if I enter the art portion the only things I’d change would be the metallic colors. Personally I want either a 3:3 ratio or a 2:2:2 ratio, and it would probably bother me if there was anything different. I’m sure others will agree.

3 Likes

Certainly aceptable ratios. I think I would also vote for a work with six different armor colors.

My guess is that the majority of artists will just do whatever makes sense intrinsically. Probably, changes will only be regarding consistency, over pure creative liberty.

1 Like

Should people posting three numbers and nothing else on the poll topics be considered spam?

2 Likes

We look at spam as: Stupid, Pointless, Annoying, Messages. The numbers have a point.

7 Likes

@Eljay The polls say they’ll close in an hour for me, which is incorrect according to the closing time given elsewhere.

This may be a regional thing, as it’ll be 23:59 for me in half an hour. Anything that can be done about this?

1 Like

Unfortunately, there is not. I will edit the topics to reflect the appropriate ending time.

1 Like

Is it not possible to close the polls (either manually or automatically) once the topic itself closes?

These polls take an extraordinarily long time to complete, and I would have advocated for them to stay open a couple days longer had I not been indisposed for the last few days.

1 Like

The polls are the ones closing, not the topics. It’s a coding matter and we can’t change the coding without resetting the votes.

Voting isn’t over, but this stage is. Time to move on to the next.

5 Likes