BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Continued the line of dialogue I specifically told people to stop.

4 Likes

I see what youā€™re saying but (as far as I was aware) that was the first time that specific talking point was told to not occur. I will make sure to not bring it up again in the future though.
I know that early on in the conversation I was one of the more belligerent ones (Iā€™ve worked on dialing it back, hope thats noticeable enough for anyone questioning whether or not I had reflected on being rude)
But I did start that however off of the precedent of how I observed others speaking to each other (snarky and condescending at times while trying to warp others talking points) this includes both some of the frequent posters and mods themselves at times.
I just want it to be known that Iā€™m not trying to be defiant these days because I realized trying to play into that doesnā€™t promote the healthiest environment so that itā€™s not my intent.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been considering making this point for a while, and Iā€™m going to risk being controversial in pointing it out: @Eljay youā€™ve been routinely blunt and unapologetic to people, especially recently. If this is a result of exasperation due to repetitive debates or the fact that a lot has happened to you in the last month, thatā€™s understandable to an extent. But youā€™re not exactly appeasing people who disagree with you or the contests by being deliberately impolite, even when a respectful method will do.

As someone who is running the contests, I would argue that you should be the most level-headed, friendly and publicly unbiased person on the forum, but Iā€™m not seeing that. Iā€™m not saying your behaviour is bannable by any stretch, but youā€™re held to a higher standard than the rest of us and the reputation of the contests is synonymous with the reputation of its facilitators.

One other thing: this is still the only sympathy Iā€™ve seen you show towards the people who were frustrated by the delay to the polls. I know you had no control over what happened to you, but you can still apologise for something youā€™re not responsible for (the ā€œIā€™m sorry your dog diedā€ kind of apology). Meso did, after all, and I think people would have appreciated the same from you.

11 Likes

I must disagree.
Human beings have a measurably finite amount of patience, and as such it is unreasonable to expect

a higher standard than the rest of us

from the people who have the most exposure to the most frustrating parts of these kinds of interactions.
If you or I become overly frustrated with these discussions, we can take an extended break from them to recharge, and no-one will care. This is the luxury of relative obscurity. It is a luxury Eljay does not have, as we have already seen.
Reprimanding someone for not being

the most level-headed, friendly and publicly unbiased person on the forum

is reinforcing an untenable standard. The TTV cast are expected to make a minimum number of statements and responses, and this expectation is fully at odds with the expectation that all of these comments exuded warmth and pleasantness even when talking to the most belligerent of community members.

6 Likes

Yeah but it looks cool, and cool things are awesome

I was going to respond and say pretty much the exact same thing.

Eljay is completely within his rights to be blunt, unapologetic, and even rude in the face of this entire topic. If you donā€™t like his methods, you can take it up elsewhere, but heā€™s hardly wrong for retorting to this bickering the way he has - with exceptional patience and longsuffering, only now stating how close he is to handing out temp bans.

Anyway, on a different topic: Color Schemes!

Specifically, thoughts on color schemes. The upcoming contest characters who are Toa have colors listed pretty generally - green for Nidhiki, blue for Tuyet, etc. - and Iā€™m wondering how much flexibility will be present in terms of what can be presented. Would an all sand-green Nidhiki qualify? Or perhaps atypical color combinations to expand whatā€™s currently present for each element? Thereā€™s a lot of possibilities.

11 Likes

I think most people see Nidhiki as dark green. That was the standard green of that era and his mutated form is dark green.

Then again, the Toa Metru/Hordikaā€™s color schemes are completely different from the their turagaā€™s, so who the heck knows.

Make him lime and teal like the Toa Tamaru we never had.

10 Likes

donā€™t you mean yellow and green

Honestly now I want to see that just to see how itā€™d look

1 Like

:grimacing: :grimacing:

I think there should be a reasonable enforcement of dark green for Nidhiki, but not that he should be restricted entirely to it. The majority of people will enter him that way, anyways.

2 Likes

I think for Nidhiki, any of these color could be considered as green:
I consider turquoise as a completly different color.

5 Likes

I agree for the most part, although the more extreme ends of the spectrum (especially the warmer side) seem a bit iffy.

3 Likes

On Nidhikiā€™s colors, Gregā€™s confirmation of what ā€œemeraldā€ means doesnā€™t specify what shade of green it is, just that itā€™s not a special material.

Unlike Varianā€™s azure, the word ā€œemeraldā€ is used multiple times in story, often referring to characters we have visual depictions of. Itā€™s used at least half a dozen times to refer to Zaktan (Metru and sand), once to refer to Karzahni in his mutated form (Metru and lime), and once to refer to Lewa Mata (Mata and lime). Itā€™s also used to refer to the EL of Jungleā€™s eyes, but the text also calls them almost black, which isnā€™t reflected in his art.

These characters donā€™t have one shade of green they all share, so I donā€™t think there should be any restriction on what shade Nidhiki has. That being said, I donā€™t see anything thatā€™s not primarily Metru green winning.

11 Likes

Not only does it mean Nidhiki doesnā€™t have to be a single shade of green, but (if those are all the instances of ā€œemeraldā€ from the books and such), it could even suggest that he should be dual shaded, since Zaktan, Karzahni, and Lewa all are. Not suggesting that this should be enforced as a rule, but I would most definitely vote for a dual shaded Nidhiki personally.

4 Likes

This is a bit of a controversial question, but seeing as Nidhiki comes from a separate location than Lhikan, it begs asking:

Actual metallic green?

2 Likes

Ghid, please. I beg of you.

2 Likes

The man isnā€™t Chris. I canā€™t hide the truth.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve said this before, but I think dark green and Mata green (and some neutrals like black and grey) would work best.

Itā€™s a color scheme weā€™ve never seen before, and it matches with Mutant Nidhikiā€™s colors

3 Likes

hi Iā€™m new here, can someone give me a link to the vote for the toa hagah contest

2 Likes

You need to be at least trust level 1 to have access to the polls. You can find info on what you need to do to reach level 1 in this topic

4 Likes

oh ok, thank you