BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Sand blue?

2 Likes

Honestly, Iā€™m really open to every any blue color, but I do think that metru blue would make her look better next to Lhikan, and would difference her from Helryx. Maybe something like medium blue as a primary color would be too clear for a Toa of water. I donā€™t think she need to have a metallic armor, but anything but gold should work fine (maybe metal blue).

Not really sure about the purple part. It would depend on the MOC. Same with the secondary color and if done well, she could even have a third blue tone.

One thing that would be handy would be the mask been blue, so one could paint it with the same paint than Helryxā€™s mask.

Would that boob armor be allowed now? It could be considered a sexualitation of the character.

2 Likes

Iā€™m actually pretty satisfied with the final batch of contenders. Not all my favorites made it, but I think Iā€™d be happy with any of the Kualuses or Bomongas that survived to this point especially.

If anyone got the short end of the stick, Iā€™m a little disappointed with the final Gaakis we got. Theyā€™re all a little plain imo, but I think a nicely drawn new mask could compensate for that.

Congrats to everyone who made it to the finals! Looking forward to seeing some great artwork soon.

3 Likes

It was allowed for Helryx.

As far as I know, it will not be allowed in next contest

Gigabomonga made it to the finals. Nice. Best of luck to everyone!!

Yes this is definitely what I would like her to be.
Iā€˜ve given mine, I think, about three colors. Metru blue, takadox blue (due to @KanohiReqi ā€˜s design having takadox heads and me borrowing that) and purple. Plus gunmetal (and some silver). I might have chosen to use to many but I think it still works.

4 Likes

maybeā€¦Sand Blue will be good second color.
wellā€¦I think many people will choose red eyes, dark blue, and gunmetal to make Tuyet look evil.

itā€™s okay. Itā€™ll go with dark blue,
But technic and bionicle have extremely few purple color parts. even more(less?? poor english,) than turquoise.
so I donā€™t know how many good combinations there will be.

1 Like

Everything was allowed for Helryx, they literally didnā€™t have rules and the amazing trainwreck that followed was largely because of that.

Rules were instituted for Artakha, and have been refined and added-to where appropriate. Most recently, and probably in response to some of the entries they got for Gaaki, builds that would potentially be sexualised, including Nuvaboobs, have been banned for all future contests.

6 Likes

Iā€™ll give you a quick tip.

The reason Eljay hasnā€™t responded to you and your prior question of how badly youā€™ve gotten on his nerves is because thatā€™s a ridiculous thing for him to respond to, and I donā€™t think asking him any more is going to have any effect other than annoying him. He saw your question.

Honestly, itā€™s impressive we got what we did out of that. I agree with Eljay that the Tuyet contest will undoubtedly not only be a return to form, but the penultimate example of how the contests should operate and the communityā€™s preference on their form and function - every contest thus far has seen a steady jump in activity, with a notable difference in Helryx v Artakha and a huge difference between Artakha v Hagah. The popularity of the contests is increasing immensely, and Tuyet, with stricter entry rules and more efficient moderation, should be the best contest so far.

And now itā€™s time for me to eat a little delicious crow and say that more efficient moderation is absolutely the way to go, and under such I would have absolutely gotten my rear handed to me on a silver platter. In this topic (and other related to it) Iā€™ve been very immature in my dealings and I apologize, both to staff and to everyone else involved. I went about defending my opinion with the utmost disregard for board rules, and it would have not only been justified to have reprimanded me for such behavior, but it is only by Eljayā€™s good graces that I was not.

That, I think, is another part of the problem - where are all the board moderators? Why is Eljay doing this pretty much alone?

6 Likes

Thatā€™s one of the things Iā€™d hope would be refined were that MOC to be reentered. Not a fan of it personally, although it is comparatively not as egregious as what other MOCs have done.

For future reference, Iā€™m also hoping the arms will be made to be symmetrical, and the silver will be replaced with a non-metallic color. The weapons as well would probably have to be changed to more resemble a ā€œBarbed Broadsword,ā€ but that probably went without saying.

Iā€™m definitely expecting a lot of red and orange-eyed Tuyets. I purposefully avoided those colors in making mine.

Agreed. In the sliding scale that is these contests, Tuyet is definitely the mean between comparatively ā€œsimpleā€ builds like the Hagah, and big and complex builds like Artakha, the GSB, and Marendar. Itā€™s the same space occupied by Helryx, and about 90% of the remaining contests.

2 Likes

I donā€™t remeber how where the rules for Helryx, but for Tuyet contest should be mandated the use of only existing pieces (with expetion of the mask and maybe the weapon). That means no recolor pieces. It was fine for Artakha and the Hagah, but there are more than enough blue pieces to make a MOC without requiering painting.

1 Like

This is true, but there are some people that want to go the extra mile. Some people want to paint pieces for the sake of painting pieces, to produce a result that canā€™t be achieved with official colors. Sure, you can make a Toa of Water that looks ā€œgoodā€ using official pieces, but to restrict people from building their MOCs they way they want is just as bad as trying to, say, require people to paint pieces for Lariska.

5 Likes

That wasnā€™t a rule for Helryx, and I donā€™t think it should be a rule for any other contests.

Painted entries are unlikely to win, anyway, in my opinion (A majority of entries from the first 2 contests didnā€™t use painted pieces, and the winners didnā€™t use painted pieces either)

1 Like

plays taps for WholesomeGadunkaā€™s Artakha

9 Likes

Ack, my heart. Donā€™t remind me.

2 Likes

Iā€™d heavily favor Metru blue and no metallic armor. If there is a secondary color, I think black would work well. But Iā€™m not exactly sure there is a ā€œbestā€ color scheme for Tuyet. Iā€™m interested to see what people enter in the contest.

It could be, but it could also not be. I donā€™t think itā€™s terribly sexualized. Itā€™s more body-shaping than anything on that MOC.

Please correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but I donā€™t think Nuvaboobs have been specifically banned. Each potentially sexualized construction is supposed to be dealt with on an individual basis.

1 Like

This is technically true. Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve ever seen nuva armor used ā€œtastefullyā€ as you say, though. There are precious few feminine MOCs that Iā€™ve seen that actually make use of the massive grey area between sexualized and androgynous, and those that do have never used something so exaggerated as nuva armor.

4 Likes

I think the Helryx MOC that CMO linked is decently tasteful. Iā€™d also point you towards this Helryx, which, if you ask me, is pretty much as unobtrusive as you can get with Nuva armor on the chest.

This is a big one for me. I really donā€™t like when metallics take away from the natural Elemental colour scheme, and it would be especially weird if we followed up determining Gaakiā€™s ā€œeliteā€ colour scheme with another Toa with the exact same colour scheme. I also agree with Metru blue.

As for secondary colour, my preferred choice for Tuyet is none. I canā€™t say why, but Iā€™ve always imagined Tuyet as being absolutely pure blue.

2 Likes