BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

It’s ok if not everyone likes a piece of art. That’s why there’s a voting system, so that the art that the most number people like is what get canonized.

7 Likes

I think his point isn’t the art specifically, just the colors. You can like the art but dislike the colors because they aren’t mutually exclusive. Which I agree, is probably going to happen a LOT.

1 Like

I was referring to the colors when I said art. The result is the same: the final colors will end up being the majority preference.

2 Likes

I don’t think we’re trying to say the same thing so probably better to drop it then go through several tens of messages

1 Like

You aren’t wrong, but I also don’t really see what your point is; people disliking aspects of entries is the reason we have a vote in the first place. If you don’t want people to cast their votes based on their opinions about the Hagah’s appearances, what should we be basing our votes on?

And it’s not like this has never happened before; I saw people not voting for MOC entries because they used a certain foot piece, or because they didn’t have any black in the torso. If there was an entry that not a single person could find a single flaw in, the contest would already be over.

Doesn’t that just move the “problem” to a different place? Whether you vote for colours on their own, or as part of an art piece, there’s still going to be people disappointed.

I’m sure we could introduce extra rounds until every artist has to draw the exact same thing and it comes down to raw artistic talent, but that doesn’t mean that people will suddenly be happier with the final results than they would be without the extra rounds.

And at that point, if we hold a vote for every single aspect of their design, what’s even the point of drawing them? We’d already have everything we need to know about their canon appearances.

4 Likes

You have to remeber that this is a canon contest and not an art contest. The point of this part of the contest is define those points not resolved in the last contest (mask, color, spear). So when voting, I recomend focusing more in what masks you want, armor color or spear tip, rather than the quality of the drawing.

If we stablich the armor color before hand, some artists won’t upload their entry because they don’t like the color combination. On the other hand, maybe after we finish with the contest, some artits will redraw their entries to fit with the canon, so you could have your perfect drawing with the canon apperance.

I haven’t seen any entry without the scarf, and that piece is mandated for the entry.

4 Likes

I like the idea of Lhikan and Tuyet having a similar build as well because they worked together a lot and are also much closer than say Tuyet and Nidhiki. In fact I feel like Nidhiki is the only one that originated from the Tren Krom Peninsula and it would therefore be more likely that he has a different build.

2 Likes

What use would have a Mask of Clairvoyance with a telescopic lenses? I doubt it would help to see into the far future.

The same use a matatu with a lens serves: seeing stuff.

4 Likes

What I meant by people rejecting art is something like this:

You have a piece of art that looks awesome and is cohesive. Everyone in it looks great. However, someone has a bias towards a blue armor Pouks. The great artwork they are viewing doesn’t have that. They reject it. Then they pick a worse piece of artwork because there is a Blouks in it.

That’s what I’ve been seeing a lot. People only voting for something because one character is how they want it. It’s not really about how everyone fits with one another. Everyone else in the art could look bad but only get voted on for having a Blouks or if the scarfed on Kualus is covering his whole facing.

I mean this stuff could be trolling or joking around but this kind of stuff is what also almost gave us that skinny Helryx made up of tubes. There are some people I feel who aren’t really voting on stuff seriously but rather trolling everyone else and using the canon contests as a shield in a way (not a Hagah pun on purpose but it happened)

2 Likes

Its also not supposed to be shaped like a mask of clairvoyance… so… yeah?

1 Like

I’m still not seeing the issue.

Different people put emphasis on different things. Just like the people who rejected good MOCs for having certain feet, voters here might have stronger feelings about one Hagah over the others.

Worse to you.

It’s also worth keeping in mind that the art style isn’t part of the canon appearances. People should be prioritizing things like masks or colours over fancy artwork, since those are the things actually being canonized.

That’s a pretty extreme accusation. Your personal disagreement with other people’s priorities doesn’t mean everyone else is pulling a Hoseryx.

9 Likes

Personally, I like all the art styles we’ve seen so far, and wouldn’t mind any of them. My votes will be based upon the details of the armour, spears, and masks.

5 Likes

@TheJerminator

Hoseryx might’ve been too much of an exaggeration but I mean Blouks is starting to sound like another one of those jokes people take too far. And no I don’t really care what people vote on. I more care for the artists that might get rejected because Blouks isn’t in there artwork. Maybe I’m not making too much sense but that’s me not being able to explain myself always 100% in writing. I’m a more visual person over descriptive.

Regarding Varian and Norik’s shields, it’s worth noting that Norik probably didn’t have silver armor yet, since he wasn’t a Hagah. His original shield might have been red, or black, or a different fire color like orange or yellow.

4 Likes

I don’t know about everyone else, but from what I can tell, Blouks’ support is not as a meme - the majority of people who like it think it legitimately looks good, whereas with Hoseryx, there was support as a meme.

But it’s totally someone’s prerogative not to vote for a piece of artwork. Let’s say you vote for something because the artstyle looks good. Neat. Other people might vote for the same piece, or a different one, based on their color preferences.

It’s all down to what the most amount of people want - and sometimes, someone’s canon wishes might not line up with the “best” art quality.

9 Likes

Blue Pouks is ugly. That is an objective opinion.

1 Like

well then evidently a fair amount of people here aren’t very objective

I genuinely like it. To me it hits all of the ‘Hagah’ marks.
-Unique color scheme to indicate difference from a standard Toa
-Rare metal (DEFINITELY, considering we’d never seen this metal in any other set)
-It looks very refreshing to the eye to me, it accentuates the brown very nicely and adds a POP factor

9 Likes

I can agree on the first two points, but metallic blue and Metru Brown clash horribly IMOO.