BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

For what little it’s worth, I, personally, on my own, without a meaningful outside influence*, do generally like the idea of Pouks wearing metallic blue armor. I do find the executions to be hit-or-miss, whether it be in MOC or art form, but that’s beside the point.

*Obviously the MOCs themselves had an influence on me coming around to the idea, as well as casual conversations in relevant threads. Basically what I mean here is that, my support for a metallic blue Pouks doesn’t come from a “meme” position.

5 Likes

There is no “too far” if it’s a legitimate idea.

One thing to keep in mind is that Blue Pouks isn’t just some random wacky colour choice, as you seem to think it is; it’s one of the easiest two ways to achieve a 2/2/2 colour split with the existing winners, the other being to make Kualus gunmetal.

While I’m a Gunmetal Kualus supporter myself for purism reasons, I can certainly get behind Blue Pouks. It’s a much more unique, stand-outy colour scheme, as well as the fact that blue is more distinct from gold and silver than gunmetal is.

2 Likes

I’ve said this elsewhere, but with the use of metallic blue (a cool color) with brown (a warm, earthy color), the feeling I get when looking at Blouks is analogous to the taste of toothpaste and orange juice.

1 Like

wait that’s not how color theory works

8 Likes

Didn’t say it was. But Bionicle rarely uses such color combinations in characters, which I personally find out of place, which is why I have a similar reaction to it to orange juice and toothpaste.

there is nothing i hate more than this idea
i personally think the combo looks bland and uninspired

4 Likes

It might not be the most exciting colour scheme, but it’s still better than Blouks.

1 Like

no
no, it really doesn’t isn’t

2 Likes

I think it has a lot to do with the exact shade of color used

For example, a pale, subtle metallic blue looks quite nice on Pouks, whereas a bright neon blue looks more jarring. Similarly, if gunmetal grey is made too light, it can make Kualus look monochrome and bland, whereas a darker gunmetal can make him look very bold.

But, at the end of the day…

7 Likes

See, here’s the problem.

You have an opinion. Since my opinion is different, you are wrong, and I will disregard everything you say because you are a dum dum and need to go back to learning school and learn to smart so you can agree with me.

This is so you right now.

Yeah, you’re the Watermelon, the flavor nobody likes

(This is a joke, fellas)

The quality of the artwork does impact votes, at least for me. I’m not going to vote for something that looks like it was made in fifteen minutes in ms paint while drawing with a trackpad. Then again, if the art is middle quality, I’m going to be more easily swayed by what color combinations are present.

But excellent artstyles and quality work has a good chance of overriding my preferred color combinations. I personally don’t really want Blouks all that much, but stellar art will convince me otherwise. I imagine I’d even relent to a 3-3-3 armor color split if the artwork is good enough, so effort into your piece really does matter.

For the Artakha contest, some entries with outstanding art were accompanied by clunky, overly complicated, and sometimes downright bad mask designs. When making a brand-new mask design, especially for one that matters a great deal (like the Mask of Creation) a solid design matters more than the artwork. But that’s just my opinion.

All the finalists in this contest have mask designs that are tolerable at worst and enjoyable at best. All could be better, but if Pouks and Gaaki retain their same masks in the winning artwork, I won’t be at a horrible loss.

Although one of them could have an Akaku variant instead, preferably Gaaki…

11 Likes

Beautiful

1 Like

That’s the only way to balance the colors for all 9 Toa Hagah, unless you do something ridiculous like 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1.

6 Likes

I’m more of a 5:1 guy. Norik being the only gold as leader, everyone else being silver.

4 Likes

uh.

Shoot, I forgot about the duplicate Iruini, Bomonga, and Pouks - Iruimitation, Bomongermination, and Pouksecond.

Do those share the same masks as their original counterparts or do they have different ones? Time for another canon contest

2 Likes

Thas the joke

2 Likes

Not pink Pouks?

BTW, when I post my art entry Pouks will be pink. You’re welcome.

1 Like

Am I the only one who’d prefer a 4:2 spread? 4 silver 2 gold?

I wouldn’t be opposed to it, provided the art were good enough, but I don’t reeeally see the reasoning.

2 Likes

If any 4:2 spread, I think both the leader, Norik, and Bomonga being second in command being silver would indicate rank, with everyone else being gold. But I don’t see that happening

2 Likes

Well, 4:2 can be divided into twice 2:1. Which kinda makes sense to me. Most importantly, though, the maximum purism that can be achived with the MOC winners by having Bomonga stay gold and all the others be silver.

Lore-wise, with Norik being silver the concept of “silver = leader” has to be abandoned, of course, since Gaaki and Kualus should not be gold in my opinion.
There’s still the option of “gold = special function in the team”, though. What special function? No idea. That’s up to everyone on their own.