BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

If we talk about Nidhiki’s mask, we’ll definitely only discuss cutting the respiratory part.
lmao

Okay, but hear me out: Nidhiki’s mask has the rebreather, but it’s a mask of stealth. The mask power malfunctioned and made the rebreather permanently transparent.

12 Likes

Sword

I’d argue the way that gives the most freedom is the best course. Since sword can be argued to be not canon, I’d say the weapon should be open to interpretation. But most contestants will make a barbed sword anyway and many will vote on it anyway (including me). I see it as a win win.

Closest thing I can think of is Miserix and his staff. Miserix never had his staff with him in the story, does it count?

Nui Stone.

Leave it open for competitiors to decide. If it is included, OK. If not, it is also OK.
Art contest of Artkaha did canonise Artakha, his hammer and the mask of creation. I see no reason why nui stone should be any different if the moccist and/or artist decided to include it.

Can helryxes be recycled?

Yes, they should be allowed to be recycled. There are a limited ways to make a toa anyway. Polising this theoretical anti recyling rule would be nightmareish. Beter let the people decide if they want to recycle or not.

tl:dr, The options that give most freedom to people is always the best course of action in these competitions. I doupt another hoseryx will come even if we allow helryx to have an axe instead of a sword. or a kanoka disc launcher.

One of the Lariska mocs has a rhotuka spinner instead of kanoka launcher. It looks awesome ans should be allowed even though technically lariska has never used one (but but most beings can create a rhotuka).

2 Likes

Both of those additional items were mandatory in the art, and the hammer was also mandatory in the MOC portion.

Lariska canonically has no projectile weapon according to BS01 so she shouldn’t really have either

They could have made the hammer optional. It would have been kinda odd but it would have been possible. Certainly most of the contestants would have included a weapon anyway. And naturally I would have voted the moc with an amazing war hammer and did.

I am arguing for the “most freedom to the builder”. If they want to include nui stone, they should be allowed to.

1 Like

Regardless of whether it’s cited or not, where on BS01 does it say that? All I can see is the statement that she is “an expert with many weapons”.

1 Like

I’m the criminal.
because I wanted to make it clearer that she was a 2005 character…

KakaoTalk_20211021_020152738
HSSSSSTTT

11 Likes

I’d say we should give the competitors as much freedom as reasonably possible. BS01 never said helryx or Artakha would have a hunch or a cape. They were allowed, why not a rhotuka spinner or a kanoka launcher?

3 Likes

Tools under abilities and traits

but she prefers throwing daggers, which she sometimes coats with poison. Currently, she carries a set of combat daggers made from Protosteel, which the Order of Mata Nui gave the Dark Hunters as payment.

https://biosector01.com/wiki/Lariska

It does not say that she excluisively uses daggers but that its her preferred weapon and likely the only ones she has on a regular basis. However yes she is a weapon experts but it doesn’t explicitly say that she uses other weapons than daggers frequently. It even says that she is currently carrying daggers

While that is a cool concept for a rhotuka launcher I feel like her having a Rhotuka launcher mounted in her arm would have been something Greg would have specified if that was the case. A handheld rhotuka launcher wouldn’t have the same issue.

EDIT: Not saying its impossible though but it seems unlikely

So long as we’re talking going beyond the scope of the contests, having Lariska have any weapon besides daggers, and having Tuyet have any weapon besides a barbed Broadsword, is going against canon to establish what we want. It’s fine for fan fiction stories and stuff, but for a Canon Contest: Lariska MUST have daggers, and Tuyet MUST have a Barbed Broadsword. Those are their weapons they have, and the only ones a Canon Appearance Contest should allow.

If you want to give Lariska a Rhotuka launcher in your own stories and mocs, feel free. But it shouldn’t be done by these contests.

5 Likes

@Tarkur Just to be clear, I meant that, if the winning Tuyet wears the winning Gaaki’s mask, it would be a canonical mask with a canonical power, which seems to be what a lot of people want.

Obviously, Tuyet isn’t the hero Gaaki based her mask on, since they never met, but at least it would have a power.

Sorry for derailing the conversation, though.

2 Likes

I think the exact model being discussed here has some gray area since the launcher is part of her arm; obviously we wouldn’t want to give her an external launcher, like a Rhotuka Shield, but a “natural” launcher would be part of her appearance.

2 Likes

Now tbf, I don’t think you’d have to meet a toa in order to honor him with your mask. I do like the idea that Gaaki felt empowered by Tuyet’s efforts in defeating the kanohi dragon and chose to idolize her. Unfortunately it became embarrassing when Tuyet was outed which is really funny tbh. I wouldn’t mind if that were actual lore.

5 Likes

I agree that Lariska should have daggers but that should not prevent people adding stuff they find cool as long as they include two daggers.

Artakha has a super cool cape even though story never mentioned he had one. should the it have been disqualified since it was not mentioned in story?

Miserix was never implied to be a lizardesque before a mocist made it so. Greg included it to the story all the same.

I agree that a rhotuka launcher would have been prevelavent in the story but then again cape would have been too. Or Lariska preferred to use her daggers similarly how darth maul preferred his lightsabers even though he could use the force.

1 Like

I would say the reverse. Her having a rhotuka at all times on her appearance is more canon contradicting, than say visualizing her holding a random Rhotuka launcher but preferably I think she should go without a projectile weapon.

2 Likes

that isn’t a natural launcher though, it’s part of her mechanical arm

And yeah, I agree with Tarkur. Establishing her having a tool launcher just means she wielded one at some point. A natural launcher would mean she has it at all times and it is always part of her “equipment”.

No, because a cape is not a weapon. Artakha’s weapons were known. His “clothes” were not. Same reason Kualus was allowed to have a scarf. A Kualus with a Cordak Blaster, however, would not have been allowed, even if he had the shield and spear.

5 Likes

Of course, her left arm is never natural.
If it’s not allowed in the contest, yes, it’s not that hard to change it, but I think it could be a little disappointing. I wanted to combine Hordika arm and rhotuka launcher.

Because of this reason
and I thought she would have had rhotuka launcher high probability if she were a actual set in 2005.

Of course, I want to follow the rules, so I’d better think of a new left arm.
I didn’t know this would be the reason for the debate. lol

One of my favorite Zarias so far!

Well, there’s still plenty of time until the Lariska contest. I suggest waiting until the rules are finalized before modifying it, unless you really want to change the design

1 Like

I must admid you have said some very valid arguments… A weapon of rhotuka spinner calibre would have been mentioned in the story if lariska did have one.

Then again a cape would have been mentioned or a hunched look of Helryx.

The scarf and cape are quite visible and were not mentioned in the story. And many some people included extra tools for artakha and they were allowed to participate and would have been made into canon. One made the hammer to switch between tool mode and war mode even though it was not mentioned in the story.

How about that the Lariska moc has its current appearance but the launcher function is not canon even though it is included in the build?

My opinion now: I am conflicted and think that maybe rhotuka will be disqualified in the end as it is not mentioned in the story. But I think there should be more room for improvisation. When Artakha’s appearance was described in the story, it was pretty clear depiction and did not mention a black cape. Helryx did not mention a hunch.

If we would have gone with strict depictions then capes should not have been allowed. Even though Karzahni had one in his set People would have argued artakha is not mentioned to have one and they would have been correct and won the argument.

1 Like