BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

I mean, they can’t describe every detail of a character. I’d argue that these are relatively minor details.

The builder chose to do that, but the hammer used in the entry image is the “official” hammer of that entry. Only one version of the hammer was actually being submitted to the contest.

This reminds me of a point about Tuyet that hasn’t been brought up yet.

In Reign of Shadows, Tuyet is explicitly described as having a pouch in which she is carrying the Nui Stone. Should the pouch be required in either portion of the contest? Or should it just be considered “temporary” (since she didn’t have it in The Many Deaths of Toa Tuyet) and made optional?

Again, given Greg’s writing/visualization style, saying that something wasn’t addressed isn’t really grounds for disallowing it. Greg himself didn’t typically know of any outstanding visual features of a character unless they were important to the story, so they weren’t described. That shouldn’t mean that no unique features are allowed.

To be fair, it was made clear that the switching function would not be made canon, since that would require adding non-visual lore to the tool. I suppose that the same could be said about this Rhotuka launcher, but I would also argue that it counts as a visual feature of the character, rather than just additional background lore.

2 Likes

Takua had a pouch in Mask of Light that wasn’t in the set, so probably the latter.

1 Like

I think my rhotuka is the same case like Miserix’s staff. It’s definitely in canonize MOC, but it’s never named and never been used in the story.

1 Like

Nah. It’s just a pouch. Takua had one, Hahli had one, Norik had one for the Avohkii. It’s about as insignificant as you can get.

Edit: I just pulled a Greg and answered No to an A-or-B question, didn’t I? No, it shouldn’t be mandated, but it might be allowable in the art.

5 Likes

Just wanted to jump in here and thank you all for the civil discourse. I know someone earlier asked everyone to relax, but every one has been respectful. Even during disagreements, people have agreed to disagree and no one is attacking others.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Please keep it up!

Also, as far as discussing just Tuyet’s contest - you don’t have to. This is the General topic, so it’s fine to talk about the others.

As for the masks for Orde and Zaria, we can ask Greg before hand. It’ll be a little down the road, closer to those if we can get to them.

32 Likes

Personally, I don’t think there’s a need to mandate it. Everyone’s circumstances were very different in the other universe; that sword could easily have been won in one of Mirror Tuyet’s conquests or something. While I personally picture the prime version having it as well, as a nice bit of foreshadowing to her brutal nature, I see no reason to mandate it.

Personally, I don’t think we should include it, since these contests seem to be about depicting the ‘default’ version of these characters (unless any modifications are present for that character’s only depiction in the story e.g. Lariskas robot arm and Helryx’s frailty due to advanced age). Tuyet appears first without the stone, so I think it’s best to depict her like that.

Yeah, I think that sounds good. Plenty of the entries from that contest would make perfectly good Tuyets with the mace/shield swapped out. There’s already no rule against reusing former builds, so I see no reason to disallow MOCs that already obey every aesthetic requirement we know of for Tuyet.

Will you be asking Greg about Tuyet’s tool, too?

1 Like

wait a minute which arm is mechanical on Lariska again?

1 Like

To provide a practical example of this: my current Chiara Moc is a color-swap replica of a Moc I made back around 2017 or so. I thought the design worked for Chiara, so I reused it. It wasn’t built for Chiara’s canon contest – it was made before the contests were even an idea – so is it any different from a moc I made for the Helryx contest? Both were made for other reasons, but they’re still mocs that fit the description of a character, and aren’t assigned to any other character.

And going back to actually enforcing such a rule: My Orde moc is an old moc I already had for a story I scrapped. I rebuilt the arms and legs, but kept the original torso. If I had done the same thing with my Helryx moc, putting new arms and legs on the torso of my Helryx moc, would that be allowed? If you replace every peice on a moc, does it become the ship of Theseus?

Side note: I tore my Helryx moc apart months ago, so I can’t actually do any of these things – but someone else could.

They’re both mechanical, but the left one lacks the fleshy bits.

3 Likes

The left one, I think

1 Like

k thanks

1 Like

Correction: one arm is normal bionicle while the other is constructed like a set from 2016. Truly, TSO wanted punishment.

1 Like

On the subject of the Nui Stone, how we all feel about Tuyet entries with shards in her armor? I’ve seen a few mocs that added a few red studs on her. It’s a cool look and it makes makes her stand out amongst all the other water Toa. On the other hand, this form was only relevant for a short period of time; Tuyet looked normal for the vast majority of her appearances.

As for her weapon, make it a sword that’s barbed. Based on Greg’s statements, it seems he intended to reveal it in Dark Mirror. And weapon enthusiasts may jump on me for this but I don’t think we need to debate what a broadsword is. 1) BIONICLE tends to operate on Rule of Cool and 2) there’s already some ambiguity on a broadsword’s definition IRL.

5 Likes

Would like to stress that it was a VERY short period of time. From what I understand, the shards were definitely removed while she was off in her alternate dimension prison, and were gone by the time she was back in Reign of Shadows.

I do think depicting her with it could be cool. But, IMO, it should fall under the “not encouraged, but allowed” category, at least in the art portion.

3 Likes

The fact that you altered it means that it was created with Chiara’s design in mind. I think just re-entering Helryx or Gaaki entries shouldn’t be allowed, because it shows no thought went into making the MOC resemble who it’s entered in a contest for.

Anyone who just submits a Gaaki or Helryx as-is would likely be disqualified, as any entry as-is would not fit tuyet. At bare minimum, they’d need new weapons. In the case of Helryx entries, they cannot be “ancient” and “frail”, as that definitely never describes Tuyet.

In other words: only entries that can still concievably be Tuyet will ever make it to the polls (due to weapon discrepenciess), and any entries that make it to the polls would need at least some modification. Some more than others, some less than others. But some.

EDIT: …unless there are weapon changes allowed at the art portion, a thing which I wish occured to me before I hit “post”.

1 Like

I would say it should be disallowed; these contests are to depict these characters as they appeared in the story, and Tuyet only ever had the shards in her armour when she was imprisoned by the Order of Mata Nui (plus the brief window between the Stone shattering and her being taken by Botar).

In contrast, her armour was confirmed to be shard-free for the entirety of her appearances in both The Many Deaths of Toa Tuyet, and Reign of Shadows.

I’d also like to get confirmation on this. Will weapon changes be allowed alongside Kanohi changes since they can both be 3d printed, or will it be like the Helryx contest where the weapons have to stay the same as the MOC?

Personally, I would think it would be the same as the Helryx and Artakha contests; there’s really no difference between them, weapon-rules-wise.

2 Likes

Speaking personally, I would heavily advocate for barring the use of shards in the armor if either the Nui Stone or her Sword were present as well. The situations in which she featured that aspect exclude the other two items, and would result in only featuring a Tuyet that misses some of the key elements people are looking to create. That said, I’m curious to hear further opinions.

I’ll refrain from using anecdotes as much as I can for this conversation, but which Toa do you feel this MOC fits better? Tuyet or Helryx? It was designed for one in mind. The reason I point to it is because there are many MOCs like it that were entered for previous contests that could work as either. Some, of course, wouldn’t. But the idea is that it would encourage the ones that would to see if they would be more acceptable as Tuyet than any other Toa.

I think the main point of disagreement here will be intent. Just because a MOC was designed for one purpose, does not mean it can’t work for another. Moderate to heavy modification would be necessary in a lot of cases, but the idea isn’t to be “lazy.” It’s to capitalize on pre-existing effort, and not burnout creatives with a bunch of MOCs of Toa of Water.

14 Likes

Just to clarify: I built it with white and blue instead of green. That’s the only “alteration”. The design was never made with Chiara in mind.

2 Likes