BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Even is you assume Greg meant Lewa Mata, he has black hips and shoulder, so he’s dual-colored too. And Matau is even worse, because he has grey hands, too!

2 Likes

Thanks! And don’t worry, I spent a suuuuuper long time researching and prototyping this guy so he’s not going anywhere

Oh I’m the guy behind the Under Armor theory so I don’t see that as “armor”. The black parts are like chain mail and the grey are exposed parts.

Don’t double post. -Eljay.
Thanks!

4 Likes

I don’t think it’d be Under Armor, if I recall correctly Bionicle had a deal with Nike

10 Likes

Surprisingly you’re the first to make that joke and I was not expecting it. Nice one!

1 Like

To be fair, there are other examples of mutation resulting in silver armour, such as the Toa Hordika.

No.

In one instance where he said Nidhiki was “just green”, he cited Lewa as an example, who we know has two shades of green:

He also cited Matau, who, along with Lewa, has a fair amount of additional “filler colour”, which should give us an idea of what’s acceptable for Nidhiki.

Greg has explicitly stated that “emerald” is just a fancy word for “green”, and was not meant to refer to any specific colour, or range of colours:

Why would you assume he misspoke?

He said that Nidhiki is not silver/green. Then, he used Lewa and Matau as example that Nidhiki should follow, saying that they are not dual-coloured. If he meant to say “they are not mono-coloured”, then why would he use them as examples right after saying that Nidhiki isn’t dual-coloured?

2 Likes

Honestly my brain is wayyy to literal sometimes so I read Dual-Colored as, well, two colors that aren’t the same even if they’re technically both the same but different shades or hues. And yeah you bring up a good point with the mono example thing.

I wanna apologize too since I feel like I came off as a bit know-it-allly. In truth I’m the kinda guy who like helping people out or clearing up misconceptions. And truthfully I actually did try out a few Nidhiki builds with Lime and Mata Green but got caught up with the whole “says not dual so must be mono thing”

2 Likes

That’s great to hear!

Personally I feel the best option for Nidhiki is metru green with mata green armor. It helps add some parity between him and lhikan and gives him a visual pop to keep him interesting and differentiate him from Matau.

@SubParFauxPas has a great Nidhiki Wip that uses this colourscheme

Which I’m a huge fan of and decided to blatantly rip off draw major inspiration from for my nidhiki

who I’m currently waiting on parts for from Bricklink

13 Likes

Oh my god I never thought of that! Dude that looks amazing!
Hold on 1 sec lemme try something

1 Like

Can’t say I’m a fan of hunchback Nidhiki, and I would prefer some sort of articulation if possible

1 Like

I decided to do a quick edit to see if Mata Green would improve it and:

I actually did this with a Norik Pre-Hagah I’m doing for my Varian entry:

8 Likes

I agree! Additionally, it would connect him to his Dark Hunter form, which has a mata green (or at least close to mata green) head piece

Both of your mocs look rad

3 Likes

Not sure if you were referring to me and StudentScissors or StudentScissors and SubParFauxPas but if the former Thanks! And if the later, yeah the Mata Green adds that extra push that Nidhiki needed to stand out

Also digging the use of the Hordika Torso. In fact I also have a MOC for the contests that uses a similar build for the torso (from what I can see):

The arms are the wrong ones as they should be Metru legs with Takuanuva Blades for the Elbows. How did you attach the head on yours?
EDIT: Figured it out, will post actual page with pics tomorrow with fixed stuff. It’ll be worth the wait!

1 Like

so…There will be no problem if it’s at least a green shade, right? Mata Green is highly satisfactory, so it doesn’t seem suitable for him who likes hiding.
I prefer Nidhiki with sandgreen

(The mouth of his mask was redrawn with Photoshop.)

12 Likes

Yeah, that’d work. It’s a green, so still not “multi-colored.”

5 Likes

Have any decisions been made yet on the Volitak? Is it being locked as the 07 mold? If so can it be modified to remove the rebreather?

There was a discussion about this a while back, and I believe the conclusion was that it will be the 2007 version. That being the case, it’d have to be hard-locked on the art, but not to the MOCs. But I may be forgetting something.

10 Likes

By slightly bypassing the rules, make a official volitak modeling and then remove the rebreath tract, and print it out.
Ta-da!

So… haven’t anyone made any 07 mold volitak? It’s sad that I can’t 3d modeling

This quote seems to imply that the “breather” is a third-party addition, like the scope on the Akaku:

Does that mean that a near-identical Volitak without the protrusion should be allowed?

Obviously this quote is a more “indirect” confirmation, but it could still be worth considering.

1 Like

On the discussion of Nidhiki builds here are mine:

• The custom Volitak is a placeholder
  • Yes, I know its a Metru build, its really not that bad though.
  • The Chrome green really sells the color emerald to me and I think its a decent compromise between Mata green and Lerahk green
  • It displays decently with Lhikan
  • The model I would want to do obviously won’t be allowed but the point was to mirror his DH colorscheme.
  • I don’t mind having to make changes to my main preference, these contest aren’t really meant to be too freeform anyway. Besides it was fun experimenting with different green shades of armor see my topic “19 shades of Nidhiki”

In terms of the potential ruleing I think several shades of green should be allowed and potentially black and/or grey for accent colors.

3 Likes

It’s implied, but the question was leading. There were other quotes that suggested Nidhiki’s Volitak matched Nuparu’s, sans visor, but I don’t quite recall.

4 Likes