BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Eljay it’s not hyperbolic. You tell me why a fan of the line wanting to vote on a canon appearance of a character is required to browse the site for thirty minutes. What does that prove?

1 Like

That they’re:

16 Likes

What if they like the line but not the site though, honestly. Why must they win your good grace to vote? I’m just dropping it. This move so late in the race just seems out of place to me.

1 Like

Because it hasn’t started yet?

What I mean is that, why not implement the new changes in the Art portion instead of now, in the middle of the contest? I am against changes to the contest while it is going on, it doesn’t seem fair. And if you had asked the community beforehand, and no solution to the issue of “tyranny of the majority” or “fraudulant votes” was found then, then why go ahead with the contest? The way I see it, these issues were rather obvious beforehand given that it is a winner-take-all vote. If it is true that changes were made and the community was asked beforehand, it is reasonable to ask that the contest be ready to proceed uninhibited by changes until it ends, at the very least until a phase ends.

Instead, not only is this new limit being set in the end of the contest, but not even at the beginning of the phase. We’re a day and a half in, and it’s been changed midway. That does not seem fair to me.

The reasons for not using Docs are understandable, and I am glad it links to the Rules and Guidelines, but I still dislike these changes out of the sense of sportsmanship in a contest.

3 Likes

Sometimes, when an issue arises, you often have to make a decision fast, even if you didn’t originally plan it. You tell me about the democratic process earlier, and yet you are ignoring other aspects of western government: sudden rule changes and laws to ensure that things remain fair.

Yes, it’s not a fun situation, but IMO, TTV is making a good decision instead of letting all of this go haywire. I don’t always agree with their moderation skills, but in this instance, this seems needed.

9 Likes

I’m growing increasingly tired of this loop. If you’re interested in discussing this further, I’ll direct you to the large storm of discontent that was brewing before this change was implemented. There will be no shortage of individuals willing to explain as many times as possible why they didn’t want a dump-truck load of new accounts unrelated to the community to vote en masse.

We are not barring those people. We’re just asking them to wait a little bit before they take part in a large scale community contest.

Because we had to make a decision and we needed to make it quickly. It sucks, but we did not have the time to wait around and think about how some people may feel about it.

It’s not fair, but it’s how things are now. It’s been a bumpy start, but this is how we iron out the issues.

I’m not going to tell you again the reason we went the route we did. Technical limitations. We have since been made aware of an alternative method we can utilize, and we will be using it during the art portion. I’m not going to repeat myself to you on that again.

It’s not fair. We’re not changing it back. Saying it’s not fair until the sun explodes will not make a change.

Then better luck next time. Sorry you’ve been disappointed, I have been as well. We’re not changing this, and this will be how it is during the next contest as well.

If anyone wants to partake in the vote but does not want to be on this website, that is perfectly fine. You don’t have to stay here after you vote. If you’re dedicated enough to know about the contest, sign up for an account, and think about which choice you’d make, you can do all of that and more in 30 minutes.

13 Likes

Look, keep the change, they won’t know they need to be here for thirty minutes unless they’re told though. If a fan comes here to vote but can’t see the poll they’re just going to be confused and lost without proper knowledge and might just give up trying. That’s my point.

2 Likes

Protocol is to read the rules on a new forum, if I am not mistaken.

11 Likes

Not everyone who is planning to simply vote if they aren’t from here will think to go read through the rules if the poll is nonexistant to them. I’ve said my piece, I just thought this was a rash decision.

1 Like

It is true that sudden rule changes and laws are established to make things fair, but similarly, the government can and is oftentimes criticized when changing election rules mid election.

And if there is any historical precedent for election rules being changed to disenfranchise specific groups from voting…well, I don’t know if I’m allowed to mention that topic, but a quick google search on American history of voting should bring it up rather quickly.

Although I do see your point, I must say I still disagree.

@Eljay Fair enough, you are correct in that we are going in circles. I’ve made my own views clear on the matter, so I suppose continuing to discuss it now would be rather useless.

Edit: Might be best if we refrain from mentioning real life political issues concerning voting in the thread. It might get messy. I’ve spoilered my original comment to reflect this.

4 Likes

Then that is a problem with them. At this point all you have succeeded in doing with these arguments is split as many hairs as possible. You aren’t convincing anyone who isn’t already on your side with parsing out this amount of minutiae.

4 Likes

I am well aware, thank you. This pales to even compare to such situations considering we’re discussing a toy line competition.

4 Likes

This is a fair point, and I’ll offer this solution:

@Eljay, would it be possible to modify the introductory not message to say something like “if you’re here to vote in the canon contests, please read this.” Or something, at least while the voting is open.

4 Likes

Yes, because everyone voting for a certain entry that now resides in second are bad people that need to be restrained through a sudden change in the rules. I’m personally against retroactive changes such as this, forgive my principles for aligning in one way and not the other.

1 Like

I just wanna chime in here: you can leave this forum in a different tab while you do something else, or leave your browser open while you go walk your dog/take a dump/commit arson. 30 minutes isn’t really a lot to ask.

10 Likes

I get that, just how this wasn’t done at the start and is halfway through of this stage of a contest seems like a small window. If another contest were to start and a person had weeks to know of the contest and make a profile, sure. However if anyone was putting that off and haven’t logged on to vote yet are now going to have to work around it if they weren’t expecting to need to browse for thirty minutes.

1 Like

I was mainly referring to the concept of voting regulation and how it can be misused. However, I did nearly immediately spoiler the comment. Regardless, I feel that discussing real life politics is going a bit too far, and I’ve seen it done here earlier (as well as done so myself). It’d be best to drop such a subject.

@Racie02 Seconding this. Such a modification would make it easier for new voters. Although, can new voters even see the contest in the first place?

3 Likes

They’ll have to do it for the rest of the contests anyway. It doesn’t really make a difference; if you genuinely have a stake in this contest, you can just go through this minor obstacle with minimal effort. The most that needs to happen is, new accs need to be made aware that this condition is in place so they’re not confused.

6 Likes

Last I checked I heard some saying they couldn’t find the poll.on the site. @SirKeksalot that is what I also advocated for as a solution, I agree.

2 Likes

That seems like a rather major issue. A new voter may not be able to vote, but certainly they should be able to see the vote, to be aware of its existence. Can they even use a link to the vote itself?

1 Like