BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

I knew there’s a quote saying Nidhiki’s Volitak is green, but is there a quote that dictates its shape?

Having been in a big argument over that, I must say yes.

Mazeka’s mask is standard shape and is nuparu’s volitak without the hoses and the visor.

I’m not talking about the debate of whether it’s the default shape or a variant. I’m talking about the other debate whether it’s shaped like a Volitak or could’ve been reforged into the shape of a Kualsi. Unless I’m told otherwise, I will stick with the latter.

That was literally how that argument started and the conclusion was that nidhiki had a standard shape Kanohi. Hope that clarifies😀

1. Pretty sure it is not. Remember, Nidhiki’s head shape is after his transformation, his head did not look like that before.32

Probably not.

1 Like

In addition to the quotes provided by @RiderBD , I found multiple more general quotes in which Greg implies that no characters besides the Toa Hagah will have wrong-shaped Kanohi:

I’ll admit that these aren’t exactly concrete, but I still think they should at least be known.

I found an interesting answer to this.
(Sorry, there was a collision because of the translator.)

The possibility that Great Huna that we know didn’t actually come from Metru nui.

Come to think of it, the two of Great Huna wearers we saw were those who lived in voya Nui. (Previously, southern continent.)

8 Likes

This is a game changer. Great job finding this quote! So we now know that the current Huna is a regional variant, that means that we have a chance to canonize the Metru variant with Naho

3 Likes

We know it could be a regional variant.

(Although it being a regional variant would explain a lot)

EDIT: Actually, I’m not so sure that it could be a regional variant. We know that Noble Kanohi morph into a shape related to the shape of their Great form, not its power. As such, if Vakama’s Huna was a variant, its Noble form would also be a regional variant, but it’s not. It looks the same as all the other Noble-shaped Huna made in Metru Nui.

3 Likes

In relation to the variation debate, Greg has previously stated that Krakua does not wear a Hau shaped Suletu but just your standard shaped one.

His reasoning was essentially that Toa don’t generally wear Kanohi of different shapes because it would be A. impractical and B. Deceiving which Greg felt was not very Toa like.

So my question is how would this work if there is a gazzilion variant masks for each canon Toa currently active?

4 Likes

Its a long lost Voya Nui variant which is why noone remembers

1 Like

I feel like there’s a difference between “variant” and “wrong shape”. Greg loves to use traffic signs as analogies for why Kanohi shapes are standard, so I’ll stick with it.

We all know that stop signs are red octagons, just as all Hau are Hau-shaped. Having a wrong-shaped Kanohi, Hagah-style, would be like making your stop signs yellow and triangular.

Variants, however, are still similar to the standard shapes, just wth slightly different exact dimensions. You wouldn’t stop recognizing a stop sign just because it has a different font, or a slightly different shade of red, right?

9 Likes

Well the only logical answer is Metru Nui makes variant masks
Honestly it could be that variant Masks turn into the regular noble mask. After all the only time we’ve ever seen one transform is in the movies but the physical mask for the set is still a great mask.

1 Like

I’ll throw in my two cents here, I think both from a lore and contest point of view, this in’t a bad idea.

From a lore point of view it’s quite obvious. It makes Lhikan’s Hau less of a weird anomaly and builds so much cultural difference in the Matoran Universe that I really quite enjoy.

From a contest point of view, if variants are allowed in contests like the Yesterday Quest Toa, alongside the “normal” set versions, the community decides by voting. Does it make the contests more complex? I don’t know, in the end the winning entry will be wearing a mask that the majority of the community would like to add to existing canon. Be it the regular shape or a variant.

I think the main thing is that, since no other Toa wear masks that don’t represent their actual powers, the variants have to be very much alike.

As for Nidhiki, I think it is reasonable to think him and Mazeka wear the same shape of mask, since they are from the same place.

As for noble versions, I think what a Toa believed to be the shape would matter, seeing how when a Matoran transforms into a Toa, they transform into what they believe a Toa looks like.

6 Likes

There is an answer from a long time ago that suggests that the shape of the mask can be transformed into a shape known to the wearer.

vakama didn’t know other regions Noble Huna’s design, so it may have turned into noble Huna that is most familiar to him.

3 Likes

I’d say while you are right about the stop sign example, I think seeing as the MU is an artificial universe I would logically assume that its far more standardized than our world.

1 Like

To quote Greg’s word on that,

“It is a little bit of BIONICLE metaphysics at work.”

2 Likes

So this basically means the only chance we have to know what the regular version was is the Naho contest. Or a random background Matoran from the comics

1 Like

but, keep in mind that, it is highly likely that Naho is not from Metru nui

This only suggests that Naho’s Huna may be noble design or variant.

It can be hard to say that it’s a standard design.

2 Likes

Yeah good point. Maybe we could have a Mask contest then for masks that are likely to never be in a canonization contest, like the Noble Avokii and the Hagah Masks. That way we wouldn’t have to have multiple contests for unnecessary characters, but still know what the masks look like

So
Noble:

• Hau (Metru)
  • KauKau
  • Pakari
  • Kadin
  • Avokii

Great:

• Kiril (Only if there’s no contest)
  • Hagah Masks (powers not the shapes we currently have)
  • Huna (Metru)

Personally I think it would be better if it was 6 masks, with all Noble (Except which ever Turaga is chosen for the second round of contests) and the Huna.

1 Like