BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

I appreciate the additional direction from Greg. For the Barbed Broadsword, can we create our own version out of existing pieces, or do we have to use the 3D printed version? I didn’t think so, but still needed to verify, obviously. Thanks to whomever can clarify!

1 Like

I’m know the thing that it can affect other BIO-beings,
not “bullets”,
can’t shoot without specific armament,
familiar to many BIO-beings,
and is a long-range armament. There is : Rhotuka.

The problem is that if Zaria is equipped with the Rhotuka launcher staff, there will definitely be a new controversy over the effects of his Rhotuka afterwards. :rofl:

5 Likes

There is no disqualifying factor for built swords over printed/molded ones. However, printing and molding can provide more detailed and Bionicle-aesthetic-coherent looks, so they seem to be fairly popular.

2 Likes

well, I think I’m embroiled in a controversy over ‘gunslinging toa’

the reason that i gave a gun to zaria because toa of iron is basically able to make everything he needed for melee combat.
The same reason as what Jerm said.

And Zaria violated the Toa Code and was a little bit of a boundary-bound Toa, who was rumored to be killing the enemy.
I thought it could work as a reason for the rumor to grow even more,
If choose “Toa with a possibility of holding a gun,” Zaria will be the most suitable.

Also, if say that launch weapons are uncommon weapons for Toa…
jovan had two launch weapons 78,000 years ago.
vakama also had a launch weapon.
rhotuka launching shield is clearly a launch weapon.
There are more “toa who has launch weapon” than I thought.

At least 12 of the currently alive Toa have launch weapons.

well Toa Mahri and Adaptive Nuva, they did not intentionally choose the firing weapon, but…

Go to xia’s market. and order cordak blaster.
maybe Lesovikk would have done so.
also, I saw zaria as a character in a similar situation to Lesovikk.

As a result, Zaria now has to have a staff, so it’s not something to consider.

This is a joke and I put a pole on the gun… but… I think the design works better than I thought, so I’ll keep using the design.
It looks like a club staff enough.
Of course, im not considering keeping ‘launcher function’. but I haven’t decided yet. I still need more ideas…

22 Likes

I like the staff has small blade, it works as axe and iron launcher!

4 Likes

Nothing wrong with making a gun-staff. It’s a fun idea. We’re just discussing the character motivations behind it and other tools.

6 Likes

@Kanohi_Cantri Thank you! Point taken, but I think the BIONICLE aesthetic can be held to with a built version, but time will tell. I’m thinking about the Aqua Blaster Blade for reference, in which a singular Toa Tool was built from multiple preexisting parts.

Question for discussion- is a no-taller-than Iruini and no-shorter-than Onua like rule going to stand for future contests, a height range limit? If so, it may be useful to get it clarified.

3 Likes

Check out Bukkey’s barbed broadsword. That one is built up very nicely

7 Likes

well, we already have the Toa Hagah with unknown Rhotuka powers

5 Likes

This was brought up a little while ago. From what I remember the answer is no.

1 Like

Absolutely, I think it’s a decent reasoning.

When you look into the histories of those Toa, though, the commonality of launchers gets muddier. The Rhotuka shield isn’t common – it was specially issued to the Toa Hagah, Teridax’s bodyguards. On paper, even if not in practice, the Hagah were supposed to “protect” the Makuta from threats, which would have involved sapient enemies or assassins. They were equipped with spears and launcher shields for that purpose. Furthermore… their launchers were built into shields. They weren’t dedicated guns.

Please do so! I really like your design, and I might end up voting for it.

By default the contests ask for Toa-sized MOCs to fall within roughly the Glatorian height range, so while no specific mandate will probably be made for these contests, there is a standing requirement for those characters to be roughly the height of actual canister sets. Helryx’s MOC was shorter, putting her in the 2001 scale (or otherwise making her very short by the 2004+ scale), but I think it worked out since the creator was going for a very obvious homage to the Toa Mata.

4 Likes

Varian had that too. so…I thought it would have been a relatively popular equipment.
I think Norik probably had it first and Teri looked at it and ordered his hagah to have shield.

Thank you. I need to buy some more parts and improve the shape.

now, I’m a little worried about whether the shield used as my zaria shoulder armor will be allowed.

4 Likes

Definitely possible. I take “No One Gets Left Behind” with a grain of salt because it has a lot of… oddities in the text, but I never actually considered that angle. Since Norik was chosen to lead the Hagah, he might have just personally decided the equip his whole team the same as him.

6 Likes

And were also probably given to the Hagahcan’t recall if that was cobfirmed though.

So that leaves 6 toa I don’t personally recall having launchers(do you mind clarifying?) + Vakama

Still most toa are given projectile launchers it doesn’t seem to be anything the average toa have access too.

1 Like

At the risk of having an unpopular opinion. While I respect the information Greg provided regarding the discrepancy for Tuyet, and the setting up a weapon for the Yesterday Quest Toa. I personally would have preferred the weapons of those three to been left ambiguous and flowed form the design of the moc itself, it feels forced in some ways taking on a specific weapon, but We can make a specific weapon work, regardless.

As for Mawrendar I really hope we don’t see more clarification on that character. I think we have all we need, “taller than a toa,” “living weapon,” “humanoid,” sentinel inspired. If we start asking, colors, proportions and weapons it will only limit designs for him and Id hate to see that happen. I would much rather have a massive difference in Mawrendars, rather than being stuck to color pallet and alike. The community still votes on design and art so no one is disadvantaged by leaving that contest very open to interpretation, just has to meet the height, and two legs two arms. The rest is up to what everyone likes.

6 Likes

Yeah true. I think Marendar basically needs to be a free slate.

4 Likes

Thank you, its just my opinion and is no more valid than anyone else. But I find the more clarifications one gets the more boxes you have to tick and thus limits the options available.

1 Like

Well Marendar only appears right near the end of the story so we know like nothing about him. I dunno if canonizing any more details will help.

1 Like

The recent discussion is what made me realize that “stave” is the plural for staff, and not a separate weapon :woozy_face:

Very good concept!

Honestly I wouldn’t mind if the Marendar contest was cancelled. Sorry Etnurb We just don’t have enough info on him in my opinion, and he hardly appeared in the story. I think he’s one of the characters who’s appearance should be left to the imagination.

I don’t know if TTV would be open to that though. But in any case we still have a couple of years before that subject becomes relevant.

3 Likes