BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

I have 3 questions:

1. Why does everyone find fitting the Kanohi Sanok for Toa Orde?
  2. Which Kanohi do you find fitting for Toa Zaria?
  3. Should Greg reveal what kind of masks they have?
    Thank you if you answer!
1 Like

If people react the way they have when Greg answered a question that we didnā€™t ask, then weā€™re absolutely not going to ask that question. If someone else does, so be it. But weā€™re not if people wonā€™t be able to process an answer maturely.

Merits further discussion, but personally Iā€™d rather hold the contest. Marendar is the most open character for interpretation, and the lack of a contest to me would be a massive lost opportunity to see what people create. Thatā€™s just me, though.

15 Likes
  1. The Sanok has a prominent ā€œexposed brainā€ motif that a lot of MOCists think goes well with Ordeā€™s element. In addition, several prominent MOCists have used the Sanok for their renditions of Orde, including Bukkey, BobtheDoctor, Kodiak, Doni, and BionicleChicken (not a MOCist but still)
  2. A lot of people like the Mask of Adaptation for Zaria for the same reasons - prominent MOCist usage leads to widespread community acceptance. Edit: I have seen Hewkiiā€™s Kakama used a lot (like by Dag, for example) because it came in dark orange.
  3. oh god please no
14 Likes

Just to clarify, Iā€™ve only used the Kakama because itā€™s the only burnt orange mask officially made, not because I think the Kakama would work well for Zaria. I think Zaria should have a different mask power.

7 Likes

Ah, I see. I figured that was the case.

The more I think about this, the more I find myself agreeing with it. However, itā€™s not because we donā€™t know enough about Marendarā€™s appearance.

Rather, my issue with a Marendar contest is that we donā€™t know anything about its powers, or how they work. Given Marendarā€™s eventual role in the story, I would think that its appearance would be built around its Toa-hunting methods, but we have no idea what those methods are. This really leaves just two options if we run the contest as-is:

• Marendar has a bunch of design elements with no canon purpose
  • Marendar is a simple ā€œstrongmanā€ build with basic weapons

Thatā€™s not to say that ā€œsimpleā€ Marendar is bad (heck, thatā€™s actually kind of what Iā€™m hoping for right now anyways), but the whole scenario is somewhat restrictive.

For the Marendar contest to operate in the best way possible, I feel like one of two things needs to happen:

a) We get Greg to clarify Marendarā€™s modus operandi

b) We allow the contest to clarify the story-relevant details and functionality of Marendarā€™s anatomy, rather than just its appearance

It depends. If, at some point in the last decade, Greg has decided which masks would best contribute to his vision of the story, then I think that should be respected. If he hasnā€™t, though, thereā€™s no reason to get him to clarify it now just for the sake of the contests.

2 Likes

While Iā€™m personally not a huge fan of Orde having a Sanok (story wise that is, it always looks nice), I really like the idea of Zaria having the mask of adaptation.

It could possibly explain how Zaria survived the Makuta genocide, as perhaps the mask just adapted him perfectly to whatever situation he was currently in. People have also pointed out the face resembles that of a Mandalorian helmet from Star Wars, a race of people with huge ties to metal.

8 Likes

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the Sanok synergizes with Psionicsā€™ telekinesis ability very well

6 Likes

Isnā€™t it more redundant than synergetic? I get that the Sanok isnā€™t telekinesis in itself, but if youā€™re going to mentally guide the projectile then a mask that sets it on a predetermined path seems obsolete.

3 Likes

The Sanok allows higher-velocity accuracy. Itā€™s true that a Psionics-wielder could hit any target with perfect accuracy using telekinesis, but theyā€™re limited by how fast their mind can track and adjust the object.

Now, itā€™s debatable whether Orde would actually need that higher-speed accuracy, but still; the Sanok isnā€™t necessarily redundant on him.

6 Likes

I firmly believe that we need to have a poll (when the time comes) specifically for Marendar.

Greg stated from the beginning he was willing to do these contests ā€œif the community was fine with itā€. Now, there are a lot of people both for and against Marendar. If more people vote against a Marendar contest, then a contest for him does not have community support and shouldnā€™t be held. If more people vote for a Marendar contest, then I will happily accept defeat and enjoy the contest. Heck, I already have a moc for him, if the contest is held.

4 Likes

Iā€™d honestly be cool with a Marendar contest not just happening, but being moved up to immediatly after tuyet.

Want a contest with near-zero restrictions? Cool. Letā€™s see what happens.

I feel like weā€™d learn a lot of lessons from a Marendar contest that would help in contests that people are looking forward to a bit more, like Nidhiki.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s already an Ask Greg about this. Heā€™s stated that he doesnā€™t mind what the masks are, as long as they have character and story relevance. So, saying stuff like ā€œit looks coolā€ Sanok Orde is not a good way to go about it.

6 Likes

Yā€™know how thereā€™s supposedly going to be a Canon cancelation poll after Lariska? Maybe at that time folks could also be offered the chance to vote on canceling specific character contests, or on adjusting the character order

The goal of a contest shouldnā€™t be to fail so we can improve the one after it; we should be aiming to make each contest as smooth and successful as possible.

Also are people more excited for Nidhiki than other characters? I just donā€™t know.

1 Like

Personally, Nidhikiā€™s the one Iā€™m the least excited for. We know literally everything about him: mask shape, armor color, weapons. And since most people want him to fit with Lhikan, 90% of mocs will probably be dark green Mettur builds.

7 Likes

This may sound too cheesy for Orde but I think a mask of anger would fit him. He was sent to calm down the zyglakk whose anger can be manipulated by that power but it can also manipulate the anger of its user. Orde is described as naturally aggressive and easily angered so it would make sense that heā€™s like that because he was created with a mask of that power.

3 Likes

Hard agree with that. Nidhiki is probably the character whose contest Iā€™m least interested in. Personally I donā€™t know that itā€™s even necessary, though I donā€™t think the Hagah were necessary and it seems like plenty of people disagreed so :man_shrugging:

(Heā€™s probably tied with GSB who I just have zero interest in lol)

1 Like

I feel like a lot of people donā€™t realize the difficulty in getting responses to polls of this nature. The contests have done very well in terms of retention, unlike most anything Iā€™ve ever seen. But polls and queries are hard to get responses too, and they take time to complete.

When MoD ran their poll, their largest group of responses came after we did a video on it. The video was viewed over 2000 times by the time the poll ended, but the poll only received shy of 1000 legitimate responses. The contests themselves, however, have repeatedly seen a consistent turnout of entrants and voters, in some instances more than the original survey to determine interest in the contests to begin with.

Personally speaking, Iā€™d like for us to have a little more say in the contest order. Merge the second list (which features nearly no Toa) with this one, and curate a contest order that is varied and avoids Toa burnout. Make it a little more entertaining and exciting, while not causing MOCists/artists to have to hurry to create different characters while having certain ones already made, depending on the order of the list changing rapidly. Part of the reason the first list was published before the official start of the contests was to give potential entrants time to garner feedback on their creations and refine them how they please. Voting on the list order every time a contest ends would potentially alter the time between contests, and the readiness of entrants depending on the next character.

That said, Iā€™m in favor of perhaps annual surveys to change the character contest order. That way it doesnā€™t rapidly change and people can expect which characters we would run contests on during any given year.

Additionally, I understand the GSB and Marendar contests are contentious, so Iā€™m certainly down to run a survey to eliminate one or both from the list. I havenā€™t heard a convincing argument as to why they shouldnā€™t have a contest, but I have faith enough people want at least Marendar that he would stay.

Note: These are just my opinions and perspective on the subject, and isnā€™t binding to anything. We havenā€™t made any decision on the matter, it hasnā€™t been at the forefront of discussion and likely wouldnā€™t be for a bit.

17 Likes

Not necessarily, only some of the 3d models added that t-shaped visor. Nothing from the side view indicates the mask has this shape of visor/ eyehole

3 Likes

Cool thought, but I donā€™t believe there is a canon mask of anger? Greg would have to get asked outside of the contest to canonize that power, otherwise whatever design chosen would be canonically an ā€œunknown Kanohiā€.

1 Like