BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Have you ever seen a movie/TV show where someone gets shot with an arrow, and someone comments “don’t pull it out! You’ll do more damage!”? It’s practically a trope.

Here’s the thing:
We’re not talking about how someone would actually make a “barbed Broadsword” in real life
We’re talking about The Barbed Broadsword wielded by Tuyet. And it has been described as such:

1. A sword with curved barbs coming out of the sides, so that when you pull it out you do more damage.

A sword with barbs facing the tip might be more practical would do more damage when you stabbed. A sword with barbs facing the handle would do more damage when you pulled it out. A sword with sideways barbs would do more damage when you… twisted it, I guess.

We can argue all day about whether this is practical, or functional (it might actually be, for a species that can lift over a ton on average), but that’s how this weapon is described.

8 Likes

I brought that up because the rule is trying to apply logic to an illogical weapon. There’s no point in doing that.

1 Like

You’re confusing “practical” and “functional”.

Sure, a sword big enough to function as a lava surfboard wouldn’t be practical to swing at someone, but so long as it has a sharp edge, if I hit you with it, you’re gonna get cut.

A sword with barbs might not be practical, but it can be functional - and we know how the barbs are meant to function. a sword with tip-facing barbs wouldn’t be functional for the described function of the barbs.

7 Likes

This part is also a detail to keep in mind. No ambiguity to it, is there?

Except in this case Greg has given a description for its practical use. Sure, it doesn’t make much sense for a Toa Tool, but it’s what we got.

Except again, the description is not saying “To do more damage,” but, “To do more damage when pulled out”.

Oh yeah, just for fun when it comes to Zaria’s metallic grey.

Official Greg Dialogue | Page 316
b. Metallic grey is the primary color of Iron. Does this include silver?
3b) Silver and metallic gray are totally different colors

3 Likes

Ok so that means we have Gunmetal and Pearl Light Gray as our options. Now Gunmetal is the more popular choice but I personally think PLG is closer to the color of Iron or Protodermis. Also, notice how he said “Gray” and not “Gunmetal”. This says to me that PLG is the more likely choice.

(Kinda sucks since I’ll have to 100% rework mine but I’d rather have a more accurate build)

1 Like

That’s just silver though… Greg isn’t sitting and reading through Bricklink’s color names.

I know Metallic Gray has been used to refer to the Pahrak-Kal krana in the bios, but I don’t think those were written by Greg.

3 Likes

Well technically it is silver, however there is a difference according to Lego. Now if there’s a character that is referred to as Silver then that’s a different story.

Ok I’ll try looking into it

EDIT: I do agree that he probably isn’t sitting around researching colors but Metallic Gray is a slim category

There isn’t. Bricklink color names are not official. Pre-2010 Silver (Both BL’s Flat Silver and Pearl Light Gray) are 131 Silver, the difference in hue only comes from the plastic material - same as with the Tr. Blue Rau between Nokama and Dalu. (Post-2010 is 315 Silver Metallic.) But again, Greg wouldn’t be looking at that.

5 Likes

Thanks for letting me know, I always thought they were different like the Gold Kraahkan.
So that basically means Gunmetal, unless there’s another Metallic Gray I’ve forgotten about.

Oh also Bricklink thinks the Krana are Metallic Very Light Gray so I’m really confused.
https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?catType=P&colorPart=119

Those are the Kohrak-Kal krana. The Pahrak-Kal krana are gunmetal, which I am basically 100% sure is the colour Greg was referring to.

1 Like

I can’t believe I forgot that the Krana for the Kal were all different Metallics. Like I just remembered each of them having only a silver one, probably because the Krana weren’t that important during the Kal stuff to me.

EDIT: The only thing that’s holding me back from agreeing with Gunmetal is the fact it wasn’t referred to as “Gunmetal” but as “Metallic Gray”. Now of course, there is technically one other option: a new type of Metallic Grey since paint is allowed. Since I’m not a fan over painting more than 5 pieces though (minus mask of course), I’m sticking to Gunmetal.

2 Likes

There’s no “we think” involved. Greg literally said, in no uncertain terms, exactly how it should perform.

8 Likes

I mean we THINK that means the spikes have to point a certain way, but without a real weapon to test and a hapless Matoran to use it on, we cannot evaluate what outwards-facing spikes would do. Also, this is Greg we’re talking about. Who ■■■■■■■ knows what makes sense in his mind?

1 Like

Well outward facing spikes by definition aren’t barbs, so it’d wouldn’t be a barbed broadsword. :woozy_face:

As stated per the Greg quote and the entire purpose of a barb is to point away from the tip to cause more damage pulling out…

Think of a stingray’s tail. The entire reason why the world lost Steven Irwin was partly due to the damage the barb did while being removed (RIP)

17 Likes

I didn’t know that fact about Steve Irwin’s death. Very sad. Those are the perfect scale for a Bionicle figure. Maybe someone could photoshop one onto a tuyet, or, even better, model a sword based on that stinger.

8 Likes

Slightly difficult due to the tapering towards the tip, as the angled connectors are the only pieces that get that look, but would still move around a decent amount. Now a custom piece would look pretty sick but I’m no modeler so it’d be up someone else with better knowledge to give it a try.

Actually 1 sec, let me try something

3 Likes

In all my years being a BIONICLE fan and all my time spent reading this tread I’d never thought that this would be the place I would learn Steve Irwin death facts

15 Likes

Fr tho if a good 3D artist could make a good stingray barb weapon render that’d be dope af

3 Likes

I could try, but I usually just make masks.

Here’s my brick built barbed broadsword at the moment:

18 Likes

There could be Mocs that use gunmetal grey and light pearl grey and just let the community vote for which they prefer? I think if it’s not particularly clear we just don’t add restrictions so that the best MOC wins.
That may cause problems down the road as there are still people who are mad about what constitutes as “dark blue”.

3 Likes