BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Nothing, really, I was just making a point.

You could reasonably argue that Krakuaā€™s torso build and neck is heavily inspired by the Mata torso. However overall your point is fair

EDIT:
Here is Krakuaā€™s torso without the chest piece next to a mata torso.

Here is the same picture with the basic shapes of both torso outlined.

Looking at both torsos design we can clearly see that both share the same basic shapes and that is a very easy way to invoke the same feeling as another design. In this case we can determine agnostic of the builders intent that the torso builds design contains the basic shape of a Mata torso making the designs visually connected.

And with that youā€™ve gotten a snibit of how I reason when looking at designs. There is alot more stuff to design theory but this is just one simple way you can evoke the same design with a custom build.

2 Likes

I could, within your parameters of reasonability, reasonably argue literally anything, Tarkur. I feel like I have the requisite dialectical and rhetorical skills to do so. That doesnā€™t justify actually doing it, because itā€™s not a smart move. I apply the same sentiment to whatever you just said about a Mata torso.

12 Likes

Tark, the comparisons you draw between Krakuaā€™s torso and the Mata torso are pretty interesting. I encourage you to use these design similarities, and others like them, to help inform your own moc entries, and Iā€™d expect some of them to do well as a result.

Just know that, due to the sheer number of toa contests that we know for sure are coming up, some winners will follow a design language that has no basis in any toa that existed before. When that happens, it will be totally okay, awesome, and cool as well, and will not represent a problem of any meaningful substance.

12 Likes

I am using them. Iā€™ve studied design.

1 Like

As in, you have a degree of some sort? Not trying to start a roast here, just curious, especially since Iā€™m not sure what that has to do with noticing that 2 torso designs use similar shape language.

2 Likes

He is proud of his degree and the work he has done with his studies. I donā€™t see a problem that he mentioned that.

1 Like

As in Iā€™ve completed 2 design courses. I still have 3 years left. For the second thing:

Which was a response to this. Me drawing some lines or making parallells between a build does not require a degree but having experience with design theory and understanding the why and how it works and is applied does require you to have studied it somewhat. Iā€™m not at all saying design theory is a study hard to grasp just that its a study and the more you engage with it the better you get at it.

On the roasting not related to you @SirKeksalot.

Can you all please stop with that, its kinda patheticly petty. You disagreeing with me fine, you incesently arguing with me fine but there is no reason for personal attacks.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not arguing with you ā€“ nor have I been interested in doing so ā€“ and that is in fact the source of my temperament and the dry response you received. I was met with a counterpoint that whiffed right by my actual point, which is that people can build whatever they want within vaguely defined limits. In the politest sense possible, I didnā€™t ask. Iā€™ve noticed that you have a penchant for this sort of thing ā€“ notably with some recurring complaints of yours that I am not going to specify here in the interest of not resurrecting those conversations. My overall stance on contest discussion in general right now is that we really donā€™t need to be discussing anything related to future contests, build criteria, etc., and I will resist any further attempts to do so.

13 Likes

And neither do I, I did not seek an argument when mentioning Krakuaā€™s bodyā€™s simularity Toa a Mata torso. Just wanted to point that out as an intresting little detail about his build in particular.

Unrelated but felt it needed to be mentioned

I have a group of 5 people or so that usually takes my points out of context and argues from that. Ranging from obsessively to rarely. Most of the post I make often tries to be self contained. My latest point to what Eljay said a post where I mostly agreed with him but where I highlighted one thing I didnā€™t directly agree with him on and explained very calmly why I didnā€™t agree. Within a few hours it was a 50 post long debate. Iā€™m gonna say this again and for the last time. I have no control over how people choose to interact with my posts and as such Iā€™m not to be directly responsible for every argument or drama that occurs in this topic. Mainly due to what I write has such a minor impact or implication that it doesnā€™t always warrant a discussion to begin with or people get hooked to one word or phrase and goes to arguing town. At that point I question if its me causing those discussion or if people actually love to argue on these boards? Judging by the sigh of relief when the discussion die down Iā€™m starting to think its more beneficial for people to let me make my point and move on. My lone suggestions have no power to change any ruling in this topic to be completly honest with everyone.

1 Like

I am also studying graphics design as my major. If Iā€™m being honest, it really comes off as a bit strange and patronizing to repeatedly bring up your area of study in response to criticism. Just because someone studied something doesnā€™t mean they can immediately apply it (or properly apply it) to everything they make. Thatā€™s not meant to be a personal attack, but just a general statement.

I donā€™t bring up my area of study that much for this reason, and I donā€™t think the correct response to critique is to shut it down because, at least from my perspective, of your belief that studying design gives you an all-encompassing higher edge in art than those who have not.

7 Likes

I was not trying to be patronizing at all. If it came across that way that is ultimately my bad.

I donā€™t think, first making a baseless accusation about how I build or donā€™t build and then proceed to say your moc stinks as is, counts as critique but to each their own I guess.(Iā€™m being hyperbolic here but that was how it came across to me)

1 Like

Are you talking about JMSOGā€™s post? I donā€™t see anything that says anything like that.

I mean assuming that I donā€™t already use design when building mocs seems kinda baseless.

Iā€™m not saying Iā€™m a master moccist or anything I just have my style I build within especially when building canon compliant mocs and again the last part of my last response was hyperbolic. However it seemed wierd to me from what I interpreted as an implication that the way I build mocs currently have no chance of winning.

EDIT:
Which is also making an assumption that Iā€™m only here to win which I am not. If I donā€™t win a single contest I will be as content as if I were to win one. I may not like the result of every contest but that is a different story

1 Like

JMSOG did no such thing, not even close. That is so absurdly far removed from the point of his post.

5 Likes

I know itā€™s your interpretation, but to quote them:

They quite literally say they expect some of your mocs to do well as a result.

I know youā€™re being hyperbolic but, itā€™s really hard to tell how much of it is hyperbole and how much is sincerity sometimes tbh.

1 Like

Generally when I hyperbole its statements that are played up for effects. Most of my arguments donā€™t do that maybe some of my normal writting comes across that way but most of my actual hyperbole do tend to border on overreaction and expressions.

mfw my posts giving actual legit non-toxic perspective are flagged and killed

we tried

hyperbole should be avoided if youā€™re actually trying to convince someone of something and not trying to come across as rude in the process, for future reference

6 Likes

I try not to do it often.

However Iā€™ll admit that I misinterpreted JMSOGā€™s post like many others in here Iā€™ll also admit Iā€™m a bit on edge as well at times and Iā€™m sorry for that.

1 Like

Got to admit, when I logged out for a few hours due to work, this is not the convo I was expecting to log into lol.

Yeah, Tark, I wasnā€™t being sarcastic. Approaching building mocs from the perspective of looking to existing toa as inspiration is a cool angle to approach from. I like it. Leads to some good mocs.

Way more important to me was the second half of my post. Despite me thinking that building upon existing toa designs is rad, the fact that there WILL be winners that donā€™t do that is important to stress. Following design language that isnā€™t necessarily congruent to existing toa wonā€™t be ā€œwrongā€, it will just be a new basis we hadnā€™t seen before. And that will be cool.

Hope my larger point gets accross this time lol.

u good. It happens.

5 Likes