BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Just curious as to the rational behind the one-green colour for Artahka? It seems a bit arbitrary without an explanation, and I didn’t see one in the rules (unless I missed it, of course).

Depending one’s view on what the nonspecific term “grey-green” means, it very well might vary in shades.

Will this rule also persist into the art contest? Or could multiple shades be applied there?

1 Like

The rule is so people can use other green colours (due to the scarcity of sand green) and the artists can recolour that to sand green with little effort.

Well, yeah, but why would having multiple shades of green compromise that in any way?

Confusion. I still think the rule is overly dictatorial, but it’s been laxed up to a more acceptable level. Frankly, I’d recommend searching in this thread (or the Meet the Maker one) for green. This has all been covered before.

1 Like

So it doesn’t affect the art portion in any meaningful way? We’re still free to interpret it how we want, so long as it’s grey-green?

Long story short, it’s another form of compromise.

Artakha is canonically grey-green, which in LEGO translates best to sand green (featured on Zaktan and the Boba Fett constraction figure), which unfortunately is a harder color to find.

That being the case, the compromise is to allow any shade of green to be used, but to simplify it keep it to one shade of green. That way it’s pretty straight forward to say in the art portion “Anything that’s this one shade of green? That’s what needs to be sand green.”

So the interpretation for the artists will really be their personal artistic interpretation, the Mask of Creation, and their choice for grey-green, since we’re not dictating a specific hex.

4 Likes

No offense to all the G2 fans, but what’s there to even canonize? That one female okotan? The biomechanical snake?

3 Likes

I think I’ll just use Tanma’s mask since it’s the only lime mask I’ve got. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Hello, two questions

Is the order of the competitions now set in stone since new polls won’t be held? It was informed that Lariska character was pumped up in the competition list because of its popularity. Can Marendar be pumped up too since it was not in last place during the poll?

Question number 2. rule 4e states the moc can’t have any contemporary war weapons. Does this mean all gun like weapons are forbidden? Can a moc have a blaster? or another energy shooting weapon that is not zamor or midak?

I don’t think any of the MOCs on the list have projectile weapon of that sort. Could be wrong though.

3 Likes

Will your opinion change if enough information about character is given? in biosector1 it has been stated that Marendar is (according to Greg) Humanoid, biomechanical and somewhat bigger than Toa. Seriously vague to be sure but still better than nothing.

I want the vague characters to be included since it allows more varied entries. if Marendar is described as a grey steel giant only entries we would get would be grey steel giants.

More or less. Expect one last change to potentially add two more characters to this list, however understand that our next three contests will likely retain their current order. We may swap Tuyet and Lariska, but it’s unlikely.

BIONICLE blasters are fine. What we mean is you can’t include weapons like AK-47’s, or RPG’s, or basically anything you’d expect to see used in a Call of Duty game in any MOC.

3 Likes

This is purely hypothetical, but what about black powder weaponry? Obviously it doesn’t exist within Bionicle, but the aesthetic could work very nicely in my eyes. Blending the natural and the synthetic and all that.

1 Like

We’re gonna go with nah, unless there is a really compelling reason to include it.

2 Likes

I may consider developing mask concepts early in preparation for the art contest portion.

In consideration of aforementioned rule 2c., would I be allowed to give share my mask concepts for others to use in the art contest portion in the understanding that I’m giving permission for them to use it for the contest?

1 Like

So how will characters like Varian, Chiara and Nidhiki be handled, given that the Calix and Volitak are confirmed to look like they do in the sets (as with all Inika/Mahri masks). (With the exception of being metallic rather than organic, the Inika masks look exactly the same from what Greg has said.)

Nidhiki’s mask has been confirmed to be shaped of Nuparu’s Volitak. (source) I’m not sure similar has been said for Varian or Chiara but, the point I’m getting to is, would they be restricted to the LEGO molds?

Edit: Rereading that quote… Gosh darn it Greg, stop giving yes/no answers to or questions.

1 Like

I’m also wondering about contests like Lariska and the Golden Skinned Being. They don’t even have masks! Do we have a head canon contest?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure these contests are for true canon.

No, I’m not sorry for making this joke.

6 Likes

They… are? Sorry, maybe I’m not following.

1 Like

It’s a joke, because

as opposed to true canon. This is not meant to be serious.

3 Likes