BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

I’d say that giving the Hagah their “proper” mask shapes falls into same sideline canonization that the Staff of Artakha does. The point is that we’re canonizing the Hagah, not solely their masks. To paraphrase the great Ian Malcolm, just because we can do it doesn’t mean we should.

3 Likes

's appearance, a major part of which is their masks.

6 Likes

Which can be shaped like other masks.

3 Likes

General question - follow up to Artakha contest coloring issues. For the Hagah, will the metalic armoring be mandated to follow the moc, or can it be changed in the art, ala the mask of creation. Say the winning Kualus uses silver. The white must stay, but could the artist recolor the silver armor gunmetal?

-Sol

I like this idea because it means we could get a Toa with mettalic pink armour.

1 Like

The artwork and MOC contests will be held simultaneously.

Ah, I see. Thanks for pointing that out. That seems…odd. What is the point of a MOC then at all. BS01 will not accept any MOC as the official depiction, so they would then need separate contests, afterwards. Seems rather contradictory to the point of the MOC contest at all.

-Sol

3 Likes

*they won’t accept 3D printed parts.

Still the same issue, though; if a pouks with a 3-d printed mask wins, then what? We overthrow bs01 and make a new wiki hosted by eljay and meso?

This is a joke, please don’t do that.

6 Likes

My mistake then, thanks for clearing that up.

-Sol

But wait, wouldn’t that make MOC and construction look nothing alike? It make the MOC irrelevant, don’t?

If we agree that the Hagah are Metru base, thus having little space to inovate in the MOC, it would be better just do the artwork contest and every artist must upload also a photo (or render) of the character their drawed (the mask wouldn’t be necessary since not everybody have access to a 3D printer or know how to model a mask).

I believe that ruleset was set quite a while ago, and the Hagah contest will have a lengthy rule discussion period, so I doubt the MOC+Art free-for all will stand. It would be really weird to have official pics for 4 of them be artwork, 1 be a moc, one be a studio render, and the group shot is just Norik and Iruini from the comic :confused:

-Sol

The Hagah have a really weird grey area. I have seen people saying that it is reasonable to canonize the Mask of Rahi Control, but not the Pehkui, when there is no difference between the two.

What makes the Hagah mask canonization different from the Helryx and Tuyet mask canonization is the fact that their mask’s powers are not related to the shape.

In the Helryx contest, it was clear that we were canonizing the Mask of Psychometry, whereas in this contest, we are canonizing the shapes of the Toa Hagah’s masks.

For now we can ignore the powers of the Hagah masks, since they have no bearing on the shape of the mask. Every single mask shape is an equally good possibility. If the contest decides that the mask is in the shape of a Hau, then the official depiction will use the Hau that we all know and love.

But if the contest decides that the mask is in the shape of an unknown mask, such as Rahi Control or Healing, then the contest gains a secondary objective of canonizing that mask.

Now, to the main point of my argument:

This unknown mask could be any one of the five unknown masks. Any given Toa Hagah is equally likely to have a mask in the shape of a Mask of Rahi Control as a mask in the shape of a Pehkui. There is no reason for the Pehkui to be treated differently than any of the other unknown masks.

Of course, this is just based on the canon lore.

From a ‘fourth wall’ perspective, I would prefer for each of the Hagah to have their mask be the same shape as a mask that matches their powers. I am sure that many others share this opinion, but it is just an opinion. There is no objective reason to exclude the Pehkui, or any other mask, from this contest.

I think the best way to run this contest would be to just the the winning MOC as completely canon, at least in terms of mask. The Art Contest will still be held. If the winning MOC has a Hau, then that Toa has a Hau-shaped mask. If the winning entry has a custom mask, then that Toa canonically has a mask in that shape, whatever power it may be.

2 Likes

The difference is that kualus has a mask of rahi control, and no one who has a contest has a pehkui.

Let’s say a kualus with a custom mask wins. Why would we arbitrarily declare “that’s what a pehkui looks like”?

Look, I’m all for knowing what a standard pehkui looks like. But it’s a kualus contest, not a pehkui contest.

2 Likes

You’re right, not counting Norik, we know no one that use a Pehkui, so we don’t have any reason to define how a Pehkui looks alike.

I would prefer that the rest of Hagah have a unique mask (if not it would be a miss oportunity for the contest). Since we don’t know what mask each one of them used before joinig the Hagah, we could assume that they change their mask, honoring a past hero, so Kualus before that not necesarily used a Mask of Rahi Control.

Norik could be different to the rest because he choose to mantaing his previous mask power because he was use to it, or didn’t think a Kiril would be usefull in their mission.

In all this contests is the artwork the canon part, the MOC is just a reference.

Kualus’s mask power is Rahi Control, but he does not necessarily have a Rahi Control-shaped mask. And that’s what we are canonizing. The shape.

Going by the lore, Kualus is just as likely to have a Rahi Control-shaped mask as a Pehkui-shaped mask.

Of course, I’d prefer it be Rahi Control-shaped, but there is no objective evidence as to why that should be true. It is pure opinion.

@Huemus

I know that that is how the contests have been run, but the Hagah contests are unique in the sense that the characters are not required to have new masks. So, basing the mask on the MOC eliminates any possible confusion about “Does the mask change or not?” It would also allow the Art to focus on the character, and eliminates the possibility of people voting for the mask shape, rather than the Art quality.

Addtionally: Unlike the Helryx Contest, the Hagah’s mask shapes actually were chosen specifically for them, so the mask may be more integrated into the MOC than it otherwise would be.

Honestly, they could be run either way, I don’t really care. I just thought it might be neat to inject some variability into ‘true shape vs other shape’, even though I personally want them to all be the true shape.

I hope TTV will consider allowing for a contest for Jerbraz!

I already started making a mock-up!

22 Likes

Since no mask in the final phase of Artakha’s MOC contest are canon designs in G1, do the artists still need to design masks different from the one held by the winning MOC?

Can someone enter the art contest but not the MOC contest or vice versa?

You can enter the art contest without being in the moc contest. Only allowing the moc builders to join serves nothing but to exclude artistic creativity. Plus not everyone of the moc builders are artists

I’m something of an artist myself

draws stick figure

4 Likes