BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

What do you know, so am I!
I’m actually an artist

I’ve been told I can draw one heck of a circle. Only slightly off centered and more oval like, with an unclosed loop. But it is one mighty fine circle.

-Sol

2 Likes

They can, but they don’t have to.

You are right that none of the MOC masks are canon, but neither is any other design. That’s the point of this contest.

If the Art mask happens to look exactly like the MOC mask, that’s fine.

Also, on the topic of having the Hagah masks be whatever the MOC has:

The one advantage to this would be that, if TTV were so inclined, they could host Art Contests for the Toa alongside an Art Contest for a group shot of the Hagah. This could not be done if the Art decides the masks, since the group shot and individual shots would likely have different masks.

But that is the only reason to have the MOC masks be canon. If there is no intention to do a group shot art contest, then it makes way more sense to stick with what we have, and have the mask shapes be dictated by the Art.

3 Likes

I like to think I can draw straight lines.

Provided that I have a ruler, of course.

4 Likes

Why aren’t illegal techniques banned? Stuff like this or this is just grotesque and obviously not how you’re supposed to use these pieces.
LEGO has limits, that’s what makes it challenging to build something good. Circumventing those boundaries by 3D printing parts is whatever but when you do stuff like this, why even bother at all? Why not just glue parts together or use entirely different toys?

1 Like

Please rehost the images elsewhere, otherwise they’ll be inaccessible in a few days. I’m not sure what the speed of thread archival is like on /toy/ compared to /tg/ but I doubt it’ll last longer than a few days.

I believe the thinking is that, since this is a contest for appearance, rather than a MOC, it’s okay if the MOC doesn’t necessarily follow all the rules.

The reason illegal techniques are allowed, but not gluing or cutting, is because gluing and cutting requires some level of artistic precision (which some people may not have), while illegal techniques do not. Same goes for multi-colour paint jobs.

Also, what’s wrong with that second picture? I see no illegal techniques.

That first one is an abomination, though. Do any of these actually use that technique?

A bushing (or any other 1x1 connector) inside a hand connector is technically an illegal connection, despite how often it is used.

3 Likes

On the second picture there’s a technic bush crammed into the Metru thigh, which damages the socket.
The first picture is from the instructions for Gamma-Ray’s Artakha.

That second one isn’t illegal – official Lego models have done it.

Can you give an example? I’ve always thought that connection was illegal. At any rate, it definitely puts stress on the socket, which is the definition of an illegal connection (stress on a piece, that is)

Debatable, the second one is one of the most common illegal techniques used.

3 Likes

@Drunizas @Racie02 @Winger

A distinction must be made between inserting a bushing into a socket, and inserting another socket into a socket, even though they are both 1x1 connections.

Since a bushing is round, it actually can fit into a socket, with even a little bit of wiggle room. I just did the geometry myself.

A cylinder of radius 0.35cm and height 0.8cm can fit inside a sphere of diameter 1.1cm.

The bushing/socket connection shown in that picture is perfectly legal, putting zero stress on the socket.

However, this technique often involves inserting a socket piece into another socket piece, as was done on the official Wairuha combiner model, as well as the Krakua model. I am less sure of the legality of this, since the part of the socket being inserted is a semi-cylinder attached to a rectangular prism.

In order to determine it’s legality, we require the exact dimensions and curves of the cup itself.

1 Like

So it turns out the model I was thinking of, the waikiru (pahrak alternative model) only puts pins through, nothing in the middle.

File:Waikiru.PNG - BIONICLEsector01
I take back what I said.
Edit: turns out it was used on Wairuha’s hand. I retract my retraction.

1 Like

by “doing the geometry” do you mean actually testing it?

cuz I just did and I had to force it in.

4 Likes

I broke a few sockets using this technique, it’s pretty clear you shouldn’t use it when you need to use an amount of force that’s not typical for LEGO to press the bush into the socket.
Try it yourself. Build something using this connection, take it apart after a day and look at the dents in the socket.

2 Likes

I mean both. Just now, I took the part dimensions from Brickowl (I admit those may be wrong, but I could not find any contradicting sources, and those numbers line up with official brick dimensions), and found that a bushing-sized cylinder can fit freely inside a ball-sized sphere.

Additionally, I have used this technique in the past, and found that the bushing was able to spin freely in the socket.

Just to be clear, this is only in reference to Technic Bushings being legal. I am fairly sure that inserting a socket into another socket is illegal.

@Drunizas

Are you using another socket, as was done in Krakua, or are you using a bushing? Bushing is legal, socket is not.

EDIT: I just found sources claiming that the socket is only 10.2mm in diameter, rather than 11mm. If this is true, then the bushing/socket connection is indeed illegal. I suppose I must have been using an already-broken socket when I was able to get it to spin freely.

Socket/half-bushing is still on the table though, if you just want to fill gaps.

The 2nd one doesn’t seem like an illegal build. Sure, it’s uncommon, but I wouldn’t say it’s illegal.

The 1st one though. That just hurts to look at.

it can fit inside, but I believe if you put an axle through, it causes stress because the axle holes don’t line up.

3 Likes

Actually, the second one is illegal. In order for the axle to go though both the bushing at the socket, the bushing and the spherical ‘cup’ must have a common centroid.

The bushing is a cylinder with height 8mm and radius 3.5mm

The ‘cup’ is a sphere with radius 5.1mm

In order for the connection to be legal, the cylinder must be capable of fitting entirely within the sphere, while the objects share a common centroid.

However, by the Pythagorean Theorem, a point on the ‘edge’ of the cylinder is approximately 5.3mm from its centroid. Therefore, the cylinder cannot be contained by the sphere, and the connection is illegal.

Given that the model simply uses the connection to fill a gap, there are two ways to accomplish the same goal legally:

1: Just use a half-bushing. The half-bushing cylinder can be constrained by the sphere

2: Use a lightsaber rod rather than an axle, thereby eliminating the constraint of a common centroid.

@Winger

Yes, I have found that out now. When I made the claim that they could fit, I was under the impression that the socket has a radius of 5.5mm, when it is in fact only 5.1mm.

3 Likes

because math

3 Likes