BIONICLE (G3)

I imagine this is going to be quite controversial, but I want to go the direction of G2 and not have the elements gender locked. I could just introduce a host of new characters to balance the cast out but I don’t really want to do that. So I’m planning on swapping the genders of existing characters.

So far
Pohatu and Nuju are female and Hahli is male.

3 Likes

Pohatu and Hahli were perfect before you changed them :cry:

3 Likes

I’ve actually changed my mind on Hahli, I actually prefer hey as female. Pohatu I think would be interesting and balance the team out a bit more

2 Likes

I don’t support this at all, but I think Lewa would make a better female character IF and ONLY IF one must be added alongside Gali.

2 Likes

honestly…i could’nt really see hahli as a dude but i think pohatu could work as a girl…

1 Like

Gali is already a thin nimble sort of character, so I think Pohatu would be a more interesting pick than Lewa.

I guess I’m okay with male Hahli, though it might also be worth considering creating a new cast of villager characters like what G2 did

4 Likes

I agree. Hahli is a perfect foil to the general expectations of female characters, while her personality (especially after becoming a Toa) doesn’t really seem exceptional or interesting in a male character (a generally introverted person who, upon gaining superpowers is basically an OP barbarian in combat). Pohatu would be interesting as a female character, especially given the romantic interests proposed earlier in this thread. Plus it would make the nature of such a relationship more palatable to people with certain beliefs and worldviews, as well as certain age groups. Also, a female Toa of Stone is something I’ve never seen before, so I’d be quite interested seeing how it would work in-story.

1 Like

But Helryx is old…eeewwwwww, ewwwww, ewwww

Btw any progress on pages or character designs?

Honestly with any G3 I’d say this, like even if the existing names are kept, maybe just add new names for the swapped around characters.

4 Likes

All Bionicle characters are old.

1 Like

Okay I know it’s been a while but I’m revisiting this. Essenger collaboration with Cryoshell inspired me to pick it up again. I’ve written the first chapter and am currently working on the finalized character model for Tahu.

5 Likes

Good on yah! In some ways with any G3 pitch, maybe it would be easier to make the characters all new ones instead of the drama of swapping genders of the existing ones? Either way will be interesting seeing the progress :+1:

4 Likes

The reason I don’t want to replace the old characters is because I am attached to them. Transformers reboots every couple years, using the same characters and telling a different story. Excessive gender swapping isnt ideal but the alternative would be excessive OCs (original characters in fanfic speak) to balance out the genders. Also like transformers, I’m trying to avoid introducing too many new characters. I’m more interested in reimagining and putting a cool spin on existing character

3 Likes

I dont have many ideas for new characters anyway. But what could be fun is to have contests to create new characters to be featured in my books and comics.

2 Likes

An important announcement for this project. The goal is no longer a G3 fan series. I am now actively pursuing making this the actual official Bionicle G3. Essenger fulfilled his Bionicle dream and now I will try to do the same. I plan to try and get in contact with the Lego group and work out a deal to make a light novel series as well as hopefully a comic series. No toys, sorry, I am pursuing only a story. The story of Bionicle is more than able to stand on it’s own. And I think it can reach a wider audience if it is the actual product as opposed to being attatched to another product.

4 Likes

Progress on the finalized character model for Tahu. Despite half a year having past I am still happy with the design I did and have barely changed anything outside of some subtle proportional tweaks and a few minor details

3 Likes

Well, all I can say is that I wish you good luck and hope you will succeed with this project! :+1:
As someone who has also been working on a Gen 3 pitch, I am glad to see others trying to convince Lego to give another chance for this fantastic and unique brand by sending their ideas to them.
Be persistent, though, because even if you don’t plan to make sets to go with your story (Like me, who still suffers a lot with it. :weary:), the world-building and character development part will be challenging and often frustrating.

3 Likes

So for the size of characters in this story I’ll be making toa have basically the same height range as humans. Matoran are on average half their height at around 3 ft.

The heights for the Toa Mata are:

Tahu: 6 ft
Gali: 5’ 7 ft
Lewa: 5’ 10 ft
Kopaka: 6’ 2 ft
Pohatu: 5’ 5 ft
Onua: 5’ 3 ft

3 Likes

So I have completed chapter 1. I can’t attach it here but here is the opening for chapter 1 telling the legend.

In the time before time, the legendary island of Mangai was a perfect paradise.

The land was overseen by three brothers.

Kharzhani wore the mask of creation, and formed the landscape of the island.

Makuta wore the mask of control, and created the rahi beasts that roamed the land.

And the chief brother Arthaka wore the mask of life. He turned the island into a utopia, teeming with life of all kinds. He created the matoran, and gifted them with sapience.

The brothers were worshiped as gods. But Arthaka was always the most revered.

His two brothers grew jealous and resentful, and together, plotted to usurp him, and sieze his powerful mask for themselves.

Lightning flashed, storms raged, the earth shook, rocks crumbled, ice shattered, fires blazed and the ocean roared as the brothers clashed.

Arthaka was the strongest amongst the brothers, but against both of them, he could not win.

Realizing that his defeat was at hand, and that he could no let his power fall to the hands of his brothers, Arthaka destroyed his mask.

The shockwave shook the world to its very core, the life of the planet itself seeming to dim.

And the brothers and their masks…

Were lost to time…

3 Likes

I also want to give a run down on this Generation’s version of Makuta. As you see in the legend, he was jealous and power hungry at first, but by the time we meet him in the main story he has grown and changed as a character. He is above petty things such as power and admiration. He realized that the reason the fight between him and his brothers was able to escalate to the extreme was because Mata-Nui wasn’t paying attention to his inhabitants, tired of their squabbles. Makuta realized the burden of being a god. He acknowledges that one is needed, but doesn’t want anyone to have to suffer that burden. Therefore his goal is to take control of the GSR himself, carrying the burden so that no one else has to suffer that fate.

3 Likes

Finalized character model for Tahu

5 Likes