BIONICLE (G3)

My name is Avohru. I am an aspiring mangaka and for a while I have wanted to one day reintroduce Bionicle to the world in the form of a manga series. Will this is the end goal it is not possible for me at the moment.

Therefore I shall be going ahead with the series as web novel, as well as producing artwork for the chapters as well as to supplement the story. At some point in the near future when I have better resources at my disposal, I may adapt it into an audio book format.

While I will mostly be handing this project alone, I am invite those who want to engage in discussion, present ideas and suggestions to make the story the best it possibly can, and possibly contribute to expanding the series I to other mediums.

Details will be posted soon

10 Likes

Welcome to the boards, Avohru!

5 Likes

ah welcome, its always nice to see some concepts and ideas for a g3 thrown around and i look forward to what you come up with!

6 Likes

Welcome!

4 Likes

I am currently working on Tahu’s character design. I will post it when done.

I also will mention that I will not be building mocs, as I wanted to explore unique new design aesthetics very different from previous designs.

That being said, I would love to see revamp/reimagining mocs of characters, not only because I really love those, but because I draw a lot of inspiration from them

6 Likes

Interesting

2 Likes

Tahu’s character design

10 Likes

ooh this seems interesting so far, also very nice sketch.

2 Likes

Very nicely drawn
Did you have anything in mind in terms of color scheme?

3 Likes

Red with orange as a secondary color. Black and grey details and pink eyes with small details in the same color

3 Likes

Something I want to discuss, I was inspired by this piece of fan art (disclaimer: this is NOT my piece, I did not make this specific one) what if the toa had fibre optic cable - like extensions from their “brain stalks” I quite like it and have already included it in my Tahu design, you just can’t really see it from the angle I have him in.

6 Likes

ah neat, this looks great, i can actually see some the parts, like the ccbs shells on the arm!

3 Likes

So one thing I’d like to hear input on is the tone of the series. I think it’s safe to say that the overwhelming majority if not the entirety of the bionicle fan base are adults. I’d like to include more mature themes in this story as it isn’t held back by a toy line. I don’t plan to go full edge lord. The toa aren’t going to be swearing like someone out a Tarantino script. They won’t be killing enemies brutally while dropping one liners. The toa code will be intact, and our heroes’ alignment will remain lawful good. I just want to focus a bit more on portraying the characters as good but flawed indeviduals. Admittedly G1 and G2 did do this but I want to elaborate and focus on it a bit more, as well as introducing new plot points and storylines

5 Likes

i think it would be interesting to have a helryx style character, who isnt nessercarily evil, but is very much a believer of ‘the greater good’

2 Likes

Funny you should mention that because Helryx is actually a fairly prominent supporting character. Im just trying to work on her characterization to be closer to G1

3 Likes

I would agree, I think the prevailing appetite is for something that would appeal to an adult audience. And it sounds like you distinguish maturity from mere edginess, so I think that’s a good way to go – I don’t think anyone wants to see beloved characters turned into meanspirited anti-heroes or anything.

Just my thoughts, not to force any ideas on you, but maybe it’s indicative of what the community is thinking: a more adult Bionicle would be a good opportunity to treat some of the darker Bionicle story elements with more weight. For example, the original Bionicle had a fair number of character deaths, especially in the web serials, but with the major exception of Matoro, I feel like Greg got away with many of them by keeping them brief and dispassionate. The effect is that characters like Botar, Carapar, and Karzahni died quickly with no lead-up beforehand and were forgotten almost immediately. The death of a hero can be dramatic or tragic, the death of a villain can be cathartic; these were neither.

3 Likes

Also, love is cannon, thoughts?

3 Likes

Wonder who would ship who

2 Likes

pohatu and kopaka

3 Likes

So I don’t want to drown the story in romance plots. The romances will be subplots and also slow burns. I was thinking that the characters don’t give the subject much thought at first as they focus on their task. As the story progresses and the toa (and other characters) learn to trust and lean on each other, they start do develop deeper feelings for each other.

To answer @Kamoranova5, the relationships I have planned are as follows:

Tahu x Gali
Lewa x Helryx
Onua x Pohatu
One sided Kopaka x Pohatu (on Kopaka’s part)
Hewkii x Macku
Jaller x Hahli
Takua/Takanuva x Nixie

2 Likes