BIONICLE Headcanons

Premises: almost every time rubber is used in a BIONICLE set, it is used to indicate an organic component. This is true of krana, kraata, Skakdi spines, the Toa Inika’s organic Kanohi, the sea squid, and Thornax fruit. This is not true in the cases of rubber bands (like on the Bohrok), the Zamor launchers, and Jovan’s Kanohi (Jovan’s set appearance is not fully canonical anyways). EDIT: also not true of the Stars Rahkshi spine, but it is clear already that the visual appearance of the Stars is not fully canon.

Headcanon: what if the rubber part of the Zamor launcher does indicate an organic component? Perhaps the launcher uses muscle harvested from a Rahi to actuate the trigger mechanism.

6 Likes

What if the Piraka were using pieces of their spines to make their launchers

3 Likes

Or using parts of Zaktan’s spines?

2 Likes

I’ll raise you one by suggesting that, aside from the absence of Jovan himself, these sets depict Jovan’s team. I also might suggest there was an eighth member who bore the Olmak and wore this mask:

It’s also common community lore that there was a Toa of Plasma on Jovan’s team, so I suggest that this Toa was a Toa of Plasma.

4 Likes

Is it? I never heard of it, although I do have my own headcanon about a Toa of Plasma being the original Ignika bearer.

3 Likes

It’s just something I hear a lot.

While I’m here, let me leave another Inika-related headcanon. I think we can accept it as necessarily true that if Matoran transform into their ideal of a Toa when transforming, then it must be the case that the “default” body plan of a Toa evolves over time. Taking this, it must be true that the way that the Toa Metru look, for example, is not necessarily the way the first Toa would have looked. It is also true that when the Toa Inika transformed, they did not transform according to their ideal as Toa, but were transformed according to what was essentially the will of the red star.

My headcanon, then, is that the Toa Inika were transformed according to a more “basal” (to use an evolutionary biology term) blueprint of a Toa. The red star’s Toa creation failsafe would have been programmed directly by the Great Beings (the Kestora could not have programmed it), so it likely would have been designed to create Toa as they were designed by the Great Beings, rather than a more “derived” Toa form. We also know that the original Toa were based on Glatorian, so it makes sense that Inika-style Toa would have the similar long-armed proportions of the Glatorian species. One more piece of evidence comes in the form of Lesovikk - he is a very old Toa whose body is an Inika build. The Toa Mata and Toa Helryx do not have Inika builds because they were essentially prototype Toa. Lesovikk is among the oldest known Toa to have a physical appearance, and would have had a more “standard” creation than Helryx or the Mata. All of that taken together, then, mostly serves to justify the weird long-armed proportions of the Inika build.

7 Likes

I agree, I think that’s a given.
As to the basal body plan hypothesis, I would like to direct you to this excerpt from the Chronicles of Hahli:

As you can see, it says the Inika armor is unlike any Toa armor seen before them. It is also purposefully designed (presumably by the Great Beings) to contain the “energies of the star” coursing through their new bodies.

Personally, I have never seen any similarities between original Inika and subsequent sets to be literal similar appearances, but a more “free” building style.

5 Likes

My issue with that is that a) it’s basically the same armor as what Lesovikk (and Jovan, though I conceded his appearance is not fully canon) wore, who came before them and b) how could Hahli have seen the armor of Toa she had never met? To me, because this is a magazine spot, it’s clear that this nod to the armor being unlike any seen before is marketing, emphasizing this all-new look of BIONICLE. In-universe, it’s easily explained as just being outside of her sphere of knowledge.

4 Likes

Of course it’s part marketing - all of Bionicle story is. But the magazine spot is From the Chronicles of Hahli which is a direct continuation of From the Chronicles of Takua. That is a pure story material, thanks to which we got the Origin of the Rahaga; Beware infected masks and Origin of the Bohrok-Kal. All important sources of information. Like I said the similarity is due to more varied building style, it is not reflected in the story. Otherwise Axonn would be related to the Toa Nuva - another unique armored Toa team.

PS: As a sidenote I never understood why people were saying the designs became repetitive after Inika, when they in fact became more varied than ever before…

3 Likes

Lesovikk was mutated by the Pit water.

3 Likes

Negligibly. In fact, this would be a good chance to discuss the silver = mutation theory…

4 Likes

For this reason, I think 1000 years is a good scale for the Matoran Universe, as it puts the Spherus Magnans as having a lifespan around 2,500 years. Obviously that’s still ridiculous compared to real life, but it’s closer to the realm of plausibility. After all, there are plenty of other fictional races with lifespans in the thousands of years.

3 Likes

Now that someone’s posted I can make a new post without getting yelled at for double posting. Here’s the silver-as-mutation theory.

In a similar vein to the above theory which states that rubber parts represent organic matter, I propose that silver parts represent a variety of things, chief among them mutated parts, but in general things that are not natural to a being.

So what do I mean by that? Silver made its big premiere to the BIONICLE theme in 2002, with the Toa Nuva. It is true that silver parts appeared in sets before this - namely, the Rahi sets, where silver panels and flex tubes appeared on the Muaka & Kane-Ra and Tarakava sets. However, the main introduction of silver to the theme was the Toa Nuva. The Toa Nuva, at their base, are extremely similar to the Toa Mata, the Toa that they began life as, but they are augmented with silver pieces. Remove their silver armor, and they suddenly look much more like their 2001 selves. Additionally, their weapons, which were once their primary colors, are now silver as well to match. The Nuva were followed by the Bohrok-Kal, themselves augmented versions of prior sets in a similar way, also featuring silver as a major component of their color schemes.

In the lore, the Toa Nuva and Bohrok-Kal have something more in common - they were both created by exposure to a mutagenic substance. I propose, then, that this is where the association between silver and mutation starts. The Toa Mata start out with no silver parts, get mutated, and gain silver parts in the process. The Bohrok start out with no silver parts, get mutated, and gain silver parts in the process.

However, given later developments, mutation can’t be the only source of silver on figures. The Toa Metru were not mutated, but they wielded silver tools - my proposal, then, is just that these tools were not created for the Toa Metru in the same way that the Toa Mata’s tools were created for them, and instead these are just simply generic Toa tools. Silver as a color for a “generic” item shows up elsewhere, with the Rahkshi staves and Kolhii sticks of 2003 also being molded in silver to indicate that they are not essential to their holder like the tools of the Toa Mata.

If we analyze some of the other uses of silver on non-Rahi characters in 2004 (because the Nivawk uses silver pieces too), we can see the same pattern take place. Krekka uses his silver as body armor - it covers his pecs and back, and his boots are mainly silver. Nidhiki is notable for being mutated - large parts of his body, including his Vahki-like face, his claws, his torso, and his legs, are silver. The Vahki staves and launchers are all silver, indicating perhaps that they can be removed, and of course the Matoran’s disk launchers are silver because they are not part of their bodies like the '01 Matoran.

The next time we get primarily-silver Toa is in 2005, where the Toa Hordika have been massively mutated as part of their form change. Their bodies are primarily silver in the same way as the Toa Nuva. Other uses of the color from that year include Sidorak, who uses it sparingly, and Roodaka, who does seem to use it for armor (note her chest and boots).

This pattern continues for more or less the entire series. Other good, isolated examples include Ehlek’s claws (which we know are not part of his body), Hydraxon’s helmet, and basically every weapon and Toa tool through the end of the series. The only time that silver seems to be used to represent something essential to a character/figure is on Rahi, where creatures like Spinax, Gadunka, Muaka, Kane-Ra, Visorak, Tarakava, Hydruka, and Klakk all use silver to represent parts of the body that couldn’t logically be attachments or mutations.

TL;DR: Silver pieces used on non-Rahi characters represent mutated parts, or parts that are removable, such as armor and tools.

7 Likes

Yeah, I definitely agree with this myself, and it seems to be popular amongst the community.

To be honest, I don’t think it even needs to be as wordy as you’ve made it; I would just sum it up as “mutation = silver”, and then the fact that silver is also the natural colour of (most) metal (as it is used on most Toa Tools and other non-character-specific items) is an unrelated phenomenon.

Some of these, particularly Spinax and the Klakk, could probably just be explained by a natural silver colouration. I could also reasonably see claws, teeth, horns, etc. being naturally silver, similar to how such features are typically white in real-world animals.

8 Likes

Yeah I know I just like writing lots of words about BIONICLE ‘v’

7 Likes

Oh, for sure; me too.

I wasn’t referring to the total amount of text; all I meant is that I think it’s a bit wordy to try to write out a single “foreign components” umbrella rule to include all cases of silver. I think it’s enough to simplify the rule as “mutation causes silver”, and then leave the other cases to be explained by natural colouration.

6 Likes

This is without a doubt the most out-there “headcanon” I have ever come across:

6 Likes

With no plot holes whatsoever.

5 Likes

I like how they kept the Maori controversy amongst all of the alternate history shenanigans. Also:

I know that there was a “Roboticles” Bionicle reference in an actual episode, but obviously that wasn’t just a misspelling. As far as I can tell, all of the other pop culture references are accurately copy-pasted from other sources, so someone decided to go out of their way to rewrite Johnny Test lore in this alternate version of real life.

This whole page is truly something special.

6 Likes

incredible

3 Likes