BIONICLE Headcanons

For this reason, I think 1000 years is a good scale for the Matoran Universe, as it puts the Spherus Magnans as having a lifespan around 2,500 years. Obviously that’s still ridiculous compared to real life, but it’s closer to the realm of plausibility. After all, there are plenty of other fictional races with lifespans in the thousands of years.

3 Likes

Now that someone’s posted I can make a new post without getting yelled at for double posting. Here’s the silver-as-mutation theory.

In a similar vein to the above theory which states that rubber parts represent organic matter, I propose that silver parts represent a variety of things, chief among them mutated parts, but in general things that are not natural to a being.

So what do I mean by that? Silver made its big premiere to the BIONICLE theme in 2002, with the Toa Nuva. It is true that silver parts appeared in sets before this - namely, the Rahi sets, where silver panels and flex tubes appeared on the Muaka & Kane-Ra and Tarakava sets. However, the main introduction of silver to the theme was the Toa Nuva. The Toa Nuva, at their base, are extremely similar to the Toa Mata, the Toa that they began life as, but they are augmented with silver pieces. Remove their silver armor, and they suddenly look much more like their 2001 selves. Additionally, their weapons, which were once their primary colors, are now silver as well to match. The Nuva were followed by the Bohrok-Kal, themselves augmented versions of prior sets in a similar way, also featuring silver as a major component of their color schemes.

In the lore, the Toa Nuva and Bohrok-Kal have something more in common - they were both created by exposure to a mutagenic substance. I propose, then, that this is where the association between silver and mutation starts. The Toa Mata start out with no silver parts, get mutated, and gain silver parts in the process. The Bohrok start out with no silver parts, get mutated, and gain silver parts in the process.

However, given later developments, mutation can’t be the only source of silver on figures. The Toa Metru were not mutated, but they wielded silver tools - my proposal, then, is just that these tools were not created for the Toa Metru in the same way that the Toa Mata’s tools were created for them, and instead these are just simply generic Toa tools. Silver as a color for a “generic” item shows up elsewhere, with the Rahkshi staves and Kolhii sticks of 2003 also being molded in silver to indicate that they are not essential to their holder like the tools of the Toa Mata.

If we analyze some of the other uses of silver on non-Rahi characters in 2004 (because the Nivawk uses silver pieces too), we can see the same pattern take place. Krekka uses his silver as body armor - it covers his pecs and back, and his boots are mainly silver. Nidhiki is notable for being mutated - large parts of his body, including his Vahki-like face, his claws, his torso, and his legs, are silver. The Vahki staves and launchers are all silver, indicating perhaps that they can be removed, and of course the Matoran’s disk launchers are silver because they are not part of their bodies like the '01 Matoran.

The next time we get primarily-silver Toa is in 2005, where the Toa Hordika have been massively mutated as part of their form change. Their bodies are primarily silver in the same way as the Toa Nuva. Other uses of the color from that year include Sidorak, who uses it sparingly, and Roodaka, who does seem to use it for armor (note her chest and boots).

This pattern continues for more or less the entire series. Other good, isolated examples include Ehlek’s claws (which we know are not part of his body), Hydraxon’s helmet, and basically every weapon and Toa tool through the end of the series. The only time that silver seems to be used to represent something essential to a character/figure is on Rahi, where creatures like Spinax, Gadunka, Muaka, Kane-Ra, Visorak, Tarakava, Hydruka, and Klakk all use silver to represent parts of the body that couldn’t logically be attachments or mutations.

TL;DR: Silver pieces used on non-Rahi characters represent mutated parts, or parts that are removable, such as armor and tools.

7 Likes

Yeah, I definitely agree with this myself, and it seems to be popular amongst the community.

To be honest, I don’t think it even needs to be as wordy as you’ve made it; I would just sum it up as “mutation = silver”, and then the fact that silver is also the natural colour of (most) metal (as it is used on most Toa Tools and other non-character-specific items) is an unrelated phenomenon.

Some of these, particularly Spinax and the Klakk, could probably just be explained by a natural silver colouration. I could also reasonably see claws, teeth, horns, etc. being naturally silver, similar to how such features are typically white in real-world animals.

8 Likes

Yeah I know I just like writing lots of words about BIONICLE ‘v’

7 Likes

Oh, for sure; me too.

I wasn’t referring to the total amount of text; all I meant is that I think it’s a bit wordy to try to write out a single “foreign components” umbrella rule to include all cases of silver. I think it’s enough to simplify the rule as “mutation causes silver”, and then leave the other cases to be explained by natural colouration.

6 Likes

This is without a doubt the most out-there “headcanon” I have ever come across:

6 Likes

With no plot holes whatsoever.

5 Likes

I like how they kept the Maori controversy amongst all of the alternate history shenanigans. Also:

I know that there was a “Roboticles” Bionicle reference in an actual episode, but obviously that wasn’t just a misspelling. As far as I can tell, all of the other pop culture references are accurately copy-pasted from other sources, so someone decided to go out of their way to rewrite Johnny Test lore in this alternate version of real life.

This whole page is truly something special.

6 Likes

incredible

3 Likes

Looks like they have many other Ideas involving Bionicle in their other wiki pages…

• Bionicle: Coming of the Toa (2001 Story + The Owl House)
  • T.O.A.: Last Breath (Phases 1-4 + Avengers: Endgame + Amphibia: All In + You’re Next)

This isn’t even Bionicle anymore but I lost it at this one:
Thanos (He’s real)
Shitas (Minecraft’s God [Second being Notch])

4 Likes

I’m looking at those, and going “How on earth are these franchises supposed to work together??” I know these are just fictional ideas, but even so, I lack the capability of seeing how you could tie that many (universes? AUs? Franchises?) together without story-breaking plot holes.

2 Likes

My head canon: Makuta is the real name of the Main BBEG, and then other hunters take their name as a noble title, and so Makuta use Teridax as a nickame, a.k.a the “Dracula” of the Bionicle/MU.

2 Likes

There is an elementless Matoran somewhere.

2 Likes

-The Kabaya Bohrok Va, Kabaya Rahkshi, and the '03 Matoran combos are Dark Hunters never mentioned.
-Fusion Bohrok is the Hunter assigned to retrieve the Makoki Stone in Legends #4: A dark coloured, slender being with wings is most of the description, and it looks to carry the tools to fly into the cliff-side fort, cut the fence, and stun any opposition (his tools are stun blaster/saw hybrids)
-Other Rahi from the ‘Sands of Mata Nui’ webpage (e.g., Pepekewaro, Kirikori Nui) exist, or did exist somewhere in the MU.
-Kaikokoti Wetekanga is an operator on the Red Star who channels the spirits of those fallen within the MU, and rebuilds them on the station.
-The Korean Piraka combos are steroid-pumped, Spine-Slug bearing guards of Nektann, made to resemble Irnakk so as to be more frightening.
-The instructional combos are what-ifs if Vezon had zapped the Piraka into three beasts and had them fight each other.
-All 3-Rahkshi combos are possible; there are 42 fusions with any 3 different powered Rahkshi, the shape determined by which assumes dominance. (Insp 1/Great Rahkshi is Ul, Insp 2 is Ye, Ultra Rahkshi is Cu)
-Insp 3 are Rahi (maybe under the control of the Krana-Kal), and Insp 4 is an Order of Mata Nui member.
The only non-canon combo models that escape me are the Kabaya Turaga, any ideas?
-Papu and Rangi are the names of the two deceased great beings found within the MU unless someone can disprove.
As only the Mata Nui Matoran were called Tohunga, possibly the Turaga renamed them due to their condition and circumstances, and reinstated the Matoran name when the Toa brought balance to their lives by quashing the Makuta.
Lastly, Toa Mata Nui represents the scale of the Glatorian compared to the Toa (i.e., Inika Build scale) due to the mask scaling down in the canister set, it provides a bridge to scale the characters as it is an MU item placed on Bara Magna, and as far as I am aware, Kanohi don’t change size without shapeshifting.

5 Likes

At the risk of violating rule 1, I’d point to the different words for love in Greek.

Love is not canon, my interpretation is that Matoran cannot experiences Eros (cause they don’t have sexual reproduction). But the other types of love, probably canon.

So Storge (familial love), definitely canon. I’m guessing Macku & Hewkii experience Philia for each other, as do Jaller & Hahli, possibly Gali & Takua/Takanuva. Boom! Contradiction resolved.

I think Tamaru is absolutely a Bo-Matoran, and Midak is another Av-Matoran in Metru Nui/Mata Nui (Greg had issues with it, but never outright said no, so there’s still room for head canon).

Makuro (Hero Factory) is a Turaga, and while the next part is more of Christian Faber’s head-canon, I’m coppin’ it 1:1… Makuro was displaced through space & time after travelling through the well of time, landed in a human colony, used his noble mahiki to blend it & start the Hero Factory to build an army to help fight whatever time threat they’re facing.

Velika is NOT the only Great Being on the GSR (or Red Star), only the most influential of that era (some of the other Great Beings might have been in cryogenic stasis hidden somewhere in the MU). His matoran body is a proxy body.

Velika did NOT create Marendar, but probably either unleashed it, or it was accidentally unleased and Velika is improving and using it to his plans. Let me elaborate, why would Velika endow the matoran with sapience, only to kill off the toa (basically matoran at their full potential)? Why? Because he changed his mind. The Great Beings probably debated on whether to treat the matoran as drones or sentient people. Velika was probably in the later camp. The former camp won and only gave the matoran sufficient intelligence to do their duty, nothing more. Velika, disguised as a matoran, defies his fellow Great Beings and bestow the matoran with sapience anyway, giving them freedom. Somewhere along the line, after witnessing what the matoran do with their freedom (possibly during the matoran civil war or when Velika was sent to karzahni), he changes his mind, regrets giving the matoran sapience, but has to help the Toa Inika fulfil their destiny because if they don’t, MU goes boom. So now that Mata Nui has fulfilled his destiny and restored Spherus Magna, he releases the Marendar to correct his “mistake” of endowing the matoran with sentience… and get revenge against Karzahni while he’s at it.

Also, not my head canon, but I heard that Axonn might be a toa kaita of a toa of iron, plasma & lightning. I’d like to know more.

6 Likes

i’m pretty sure Axonn is part of a different species than Toa but that is a neat idea and fits with the OOMN’s vibe

2 Likes

I think Amaja-Nui Tales, aka Khing K, mentioned it in an iceberg.

I’m still conflicted about it, mainly because I don’t know the details. But it is an interesting idea. The Rode seems to have overlapping powers with the Akaku or Elda, and we know kaita masks have their own names.

Then again, we do have a regular toa wielding the Rode, namely a toa mangai of ice. Not to mention, Axonn does not have the colours of a Su or Vo toa. These 2 things take credence away from the idea… but don’t outright debunk it.

Also, regarding @KDNX ’s silver theory, I think it’s more of a non-diagetic design choice, like the glowing eyes in Blade Runner. I agree with your analysis that silver means replaceable (we see the Zirahk and Guurahk have the same staff), but we do see the rahkshi, toa metru and lhikan’s toa tools do have colour in the movies… or rather, the majority of the toa tools are colour coded, except the cutting edge (that’s silver).

So with the exception of the toa nuva’s tools, I think the silver is a non-diagetic way to signal that they’re interchangeable. And even the toa nuva have silver tools with colour accents of their elemental colours in the movie.

3 Likes

Yes. According to BioSector1, and several other sources, Axonn is a representative of of a non-Toa species. Whether any others of his species exist is unknown.

2 Likes

Hmmm, makes you wonder why Amaja-Nui Tales included it in his video. I find no sources for that outside of Amaja-Nui Tales, and there’s so little elaboration there.

Oh well, at least KhingK is spending most of his energy in Amaja-Nui tales and not mask making, so that’s less competition in that niche.

3 Likes

Probably because that would have been a plausible explanation for the extreme strength of Axonn, plus his colors being similar to the leader of the Toa Hagah.

2 Likes