Bionicle: New Shores

ooh this is so cool
I really love the battle scenes, the lessons he learned, and the revelation of other Toa. Also the shadowy guy at the end really reminds me of Makuta.

1 Like

Maybe… He is a Makuta!

2 Likes

I mean it’s not like I’d be that surprised if that was true…

Maybe… Shrugs

2 Likes

This was very well-written! I’m excited to see what’s next.

1 Like

Thank you, guys!

I originally planned to have this in Chapter 2, Part 1, but I figured the part was getting a little longer than I liked it, and it’s pretty important to make you guys wait for it:

Interlude - "THE WHIRLWIND"

Ono was flying. Not just taking a wind chute. He was flying. The metal cylinders fastened to his arms - Spigot referred to them as “rockets” - hummed as they spewed heat and flame. The triangular wings extending from these so-called “rockets” sliced through the air, allowing Ono a clean and stable flight. It was amazing, this feeling. He wasn’t pushed by the wind or pulled by gravity, but he was simply… free.

“How’s it holdin’ up, Big O?” Rench asked through the tele-ear.

Ono fumbled, his stability shaking. He quickly straightened out his arms, and the metallic wings caught him just before he crashed into Habero’s Heat House. He had forgotten that he was still tethered to Moda Nui through the extremely long cord winding from his earpiece down to the roof of Spigot and Rench’s penthouse apartment. Ono carefully leaned to his left, the rockets pushing him closer to homebase.

“I-it’s working fine,” he said, his vocal speakers making their characteristic stutter. “The r-rockets feel very smooth. I think-k these are the b-best iteration yet.”

“Great, ‘cause we took out the parachutes to make room for the mufflers,” Rench said in his gravelly voice.

Ono almost lost control again. “W-what?”

He heard Rench and Spigot cackle on the other side, followed by a slap. A high-five.

It took all of Ono’s willpower not to bury his face in his hands. The brothers, commonly referred to as the “Twinventors,” were both geniuses with amazing creativity, ingenuity, and adventure in their cores, but they also were just bullies sometimes.

“Why don’t you take another lap and then come back to us?” asked Spigot.

“Yeah!” said Rench. “Remember, don’t get the tele-ear line caught on any starscrapers!”

“I’ll r-remember,” groaned Ono. He missed the days before Rench and Spigot were rich and popular. In those days, his friendship with them was a courtesy, not an obligation. Now, it just felt like he was a test subject for all of their gear. At least you’re helping, he told himself. Still, his father always told him he needed to stick up for himself whenever he was being taken advantage of. Was now one of those times?

A low roaring sound caught Ono’s receptors, not the one with the earpiece magnetized to it. Up ahead, he saw boards and parchments and all sorts of trash funneling into a spiraling cluster of trash that was rapidly approaching.

“H-hey? G-guys?” Ono said to the tele-ear. “You r-remember how y-you p-p-promised there wouldn’t b-b-be any w-whirlwinds?”

“I don’t remember promising that,” said Rench. Ono was fairly certain that was a lie.

“There definitely should not be,” Spigot said. “There was one reported three days ago!”

“W-well, I’m l-l-looking straight at one!”

“They’ve been following such a strict schedule! One a week, always midday…” Spigot paused before adding, “Rench did the calculations.”

“Did not!” Rench protested. “He knows I can’t do no math!” His “th” sound in “math” was closer to the “f” sound.

“That’s because you’re a null-brain!” said Spigot.

“Well, you’re a dim-spark!” spat Rench.

“Grime-box!”

“Treason-face!”

“G-guys!” Ono said, beginning to panic. The whirlwind was beginning to take hold of him.

“Yeah, fly away!” Spigot said. “But don’t over-exert the rockets! They might explode!”

“Nice one,” said Rench, laughing.

“It’s not a joke!” said Spigot.

Ono frantically threw his arms forwards, attempting to blast back out of the wind tunnel. He pushed further and further, squeezing the trigger little-by-little until…

The rockets’ humming raised into a shrill whine, and the metal began to glow and warp the air around it as they began to spike in heat.

“Ah!” cried Ono, releasing the triggers. The rockets ceased their expulsion, only to release their owner into the violent wind. The earpiece yanked loose, cutting Ono off from the Twinventors as he screamed, dragged in a mighty circle through the gridded buildings of Aero City.

The rockets were still cooling down, but at this point Ono wasn’t sure they would even help him. He flew entirely out of control, sent upside-down and around by the rushing gusts. This was certainly it. This was the end of Ono’s short time in the wonders of life. His mother and father would never see their son again, at least not with light in his eyes and life in his core. He would be claimed by the whirlwind, carried across Moda Nui and dumped in some tree in Fauna Jungle. This would be the end of Ono the Matoran.

As he lamented, the wind finally released its grip on him, sending him plummeting towards the city below. He lifted his arms to cover his eyes. He didn’t want to watch it happen. As he did, however, he accidentally pressed down on the rocket triggers and launched himself outwards, flailing through the air and crashing onto a chute monitor station, a heavy ring around the glass tubes that circulated the city like a web of air-powered transport. Something broke beneath him.

He groaned as he pulled himself up. “Uh… G-guys?” he said, forgetting that he had lost the tele-ear. Next to him, the chute vibrated a low-sounding tune to go along with the muffled howl beneath. Besides that, the air was eerily silent.

Ono’s head throbbed with pain. He rubbed in a soothing manner as he turned around to assess his damage. The dark metal of the structure was scratched, some of the paint chipping off. Ono assumed some of his paint, too, was now scarred. There was a broken crate on which he must have landed. Its pieces were scattered like wood chips over the station, but it didn’t seem to be holding anything. Ono breathed a sigh of relief. At least no one was hurt. Of course, the paint was going to cost a fortune, and squeezing a coin out of the Twinventors was about as difficult as navigating through a whirlwind with a parachute, but he hadn’t compromised the wind chute. That could lead to some problems.

He slowed his breath back to normal speeds and began to pick up the pieces of the crate. As he combed through them, his hand hit something metal. Ono halted. Had he broken something important, after all?

He uncovered the unknown item to find a strange, rounded metal shape, silver in the gray skies of Aero City. It had two holes cut into its symmetrically designed shape, with runes lining its edges. As he stared into it, Ono felt as if… as if he was hearing someone say…

Toa Orano…

I also have been publishing some bio’s for the other Toa that I will post here as soon as I finish the last one!

Let me know if you guys like the whole interlude idea, I may do more!

Thanks, and have yourselves a good one!

2 Likes

oooh another Kanohi mask…

I thought it was pretty cool. I like the idea of introducing the other Toa in interludes like this

1 Like

I liked this story and I like the idea of having interludes between books. If you want to write them, I’ll read them.

2 Likes

Thanks, guys!

Just in time for Pitch Fest, I have written up backgrounds for the six Toa Moda! I hope you enjoy them, and let me know if you have a favorite!

QUICK NOTE: This was brought up on the World Builder site, so I thought I’d address it here. I reference “parents” and “siblings,” which G1 Matoran do not have. By the time New Shores takes place, either in the far future or in a separate timeline, Matoran have adopted many traits associated with organic beings, becoming more of a mechanical representation of life rather than mechanical workers with a specific purpose. They eat, they love, they die.

Toa Kidoma

Master of Water.

Once an awkward and distant Matoran yearning for adventure, Kido discovers an ancient mask on the shores of his home island that grants him a grand opportunity to become the hero he so desperately yearned to be in the shape of Toa Kidoma - something he now wonders if he regrets.

BIO

As a Matoran, Kido is a native to Mako Village and works as a fisherman with his sister, Neida. He finds the work rather tedious and would much rather be exploring the ocean and helping people, though he feels tied to his place in the village. He often wonders what his life would look like if he was free to be the hero he is in his dreams, and his question finally seems to be answered in the form of a strange mask washed up upon the Great White shores.

PERSONALITY

Excitable, Insecure, Distractable

APPEARANCE

As Kidoma: Toa Build, Lean, Supple, Azure Plating, Silver Accents, Orange Eyes

As Kido: Matoran Build, Short, Azure Plating, Purple Accents, Orange Eyes

HOMETOWN

Mako Village

Daydreaming, the Thought of Adventure, Impressing Kaidi

DISLIKES

Fishing, Actually Going on Adventures, Not Measuring Up

Toa Auru

Master of Earth.

Life in the mountains was always tough for Auru, but that just taught him how to be tougher. As a Toa, his strength and dependability make him a highly valuable teammate, though his fear of conflict is well known. Regardless, the Toa Moda of Earth is a powerful ally and an even better friend.

BIO

When the Matoran Ara was very new in the world, a great avalanche lost him the use of his right eye. Ever since that day, he’s been used to burying his pain and frustration, building himself up into a walking iron cage of emotion. He is far from expressionless, however, as he loves being friendly and hearing jokes, no matter how terrible. Now, he is expected to be a part of a team which requires his full emotional support, which may prove to be more treacherous than any mountain.

PERSONALITY

Boisterous, Enthusiastic, Affable

APPEARANCE

Toa Build, Bulky, Muscular, Silver Plating, Black Accents, Green Left Eye, Right Eye Patch

HOMETOWN

Granite Town

Laughing, Talking Loudly, Everyone Being Friends

DISLIKES

Arguing, Strange Animals, Having One Eye

Toa Vosala

Master of Fire.

The flames of the Flickering Wastes only rival the ferocious blaze in the core of Toa Vosala. His drive for excitement, fame, and attention is unmatched by any of the Toa Moda. He often comes off as being arrogant and occasionally even obnoxious, but perhaps, underneath all that flare, he has the spirit of a true hero.

BIO

The Matoran Vola had been recently denied the promotion of his dreams when he discovered the hidden Kanohi Mask of Fire. Ever since then, he’s been a celebrity among his people, and he adores it. The fame, the autographs, the looks of admiration, the praise, he could bathe in it forever - until he’s expected to save the island with five strangers who are just as admirable and famous as him.

PERSONALITY

Confident, Energetic, Self-Absorbed

APPEARANCE

Toa Build, Athletic Shape, Muscular, Crimson Plating, Yellow Accents, Blue Eyes

HOMETOWN

Emberstone Barracks

Making (Terrible) Jokes, Flattery, Walking Away from Explosions without Looking

DISLIKES

Tough Crowds, Being Made Fun of, Not Measuring Up

Toa Shynali

Master of Jungle.

Shynali is the fast, skilled, and courageous Toa of Jungle. She grew up with very little connection to Matoran community and culture, and so often comes off as awkward and strange to her Toa companions. Regardless, she is rather protective of her teammates, and would do anything to defend them.

BIO

Shali the Matoran grew up with her father, an adventurous man who avoided much of society. She took great interest in learning about the different animals and Rahi within, which allowed her great knowledge and care for the many different specimens native to Moda Nui, but unfortunately stunted her social comfortability. Now, as Toa Shynali, she finally must learn to work as a member of a team.

PERSONALITY

Loyal, Protective, Socially Inept

APPEARANCE

Toa Build, Athletic, Agile, Lime Green Plating, Fuchsia Accents, Dark Gray Cloak, Cyan Eyes

HOMETOWN

The Wilds of Fauna Jungle

Taking Care of Her “Pack”, Examining Flora/Fauna, Being Depended Upon

DISLIKES

Misreading Social Cues, Being Left Out, Failing Her Team

Toa Narale

Master of Ice.

Stubborn and arrogant, Toa Narale has found great difficulty in trusting anyone’s leadership other than her own. However, she isn’t actually as confident in herself as she appears, and so forces others to be confident in her. Being a part of a team, especially one that may command her to relinquish the control she so desperately yearns for, may prove to be her greatest challenge yet.

BIO

Narale came into the world as the Matoran Nale, birthed in the Frostglade. In her classes, she always voluntarily took the head of group projects, a quality which easily caught the attention of the school’s directors, and eventually Lord Qualis. She was then adopted into a series of personal classes under Qualis, who trained her leadership and political skills, though she never learned that she was his chosen heir until after she became Toa Narale. Now, she lives in constant fear of failure, not just for herself, but for her people.

PERSONALITY

Distant, Conceited, Strict

APPEARANCE

Toa Build, Lithe, Tall, White Plating, Sand Blue Accents, Blue Cape, Yellow Eyes

HOMETOWN

The Frostglade

Being Right, Taking Command, Seeing Justice Prevail

DISLIKES

Losing Respect, Watching Her Allies Be Harmed, Being Alone

Toa Orano

Master of Air.

The most recent member of the Toa Moda, Toa Orano is shy, nervous, and dependent. He is fearful of the role he will have to fill in the team, but truly believes that if they can manage to work together as a team, the Toa Moda will be the unifying force Moda Nui so desperately seems to need.

BIO

Like most Matoran in Aero City, Matoran Ono grew up with both parents. At a young age, he befriended inventor twins Rench and Spigot, feeling bad for their poor reputation as being unusual and crazy. Since then, they became incredibly successful, hiring Ono as their test subject. When one of these experiments sent him tumbling through a whirlwind and into an abandoned crate, he discovered a Kanohi mask that cemented his fate as the final member of the Toa Moda.

PERSONALITY

Quiet, Passive, Cautious

APPEARANCE

Toa Build, Stout, Sturdy, Dark Green Plating, Silver Accents, Violet Eyes

HOMETOWN

Aero City

Helping His Friends, Spending Time with His Parents, Flying

DISLIKES

Being Used, Having to Stand Up for Himself, Falling

Also, ultratoa7 on World Builder drew up this amazing art design for Kido and the Kanohi mask next to his Toa Kidoma form! Huge thanks to him!

4 Likes

Pitch Fest 2021 is starting today, which means I’ll be attempting to have someone official at LEGO take a look at New Shores! I don’t have much hope of anything substantial happening, but I’d like to know what LEGO thinks/is looking for. Plus, it’s kinda cool to show off a fan Bionicle project to the company itself! I’ll keep you all updated!

3 Likes

Ooh their bios are pretty nice. I really like all their different personalities.

Ooh sounds good. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks! Turns out I have until June to submit a pitch, so I think I’ll take some time on it. I’ve read through all the criteria, and the only two things I am unsure about right now are whether or not New Shores is “uniquely LEGO,” or if it’s different enough from other LEGO IP’s (specifically Ninjago) to warrant making a new theme.

Also, I am debating if I think it’d be better as a web series (3-11 minute shorts, like the 2015 animations) or a streamed series (11-22 minute episodes, like Ninjago). While a streamed series would be amazing, I think what I have currently written may work better as shorter, 7-10 minute shorts, so I’m leaning towards the web series.

Just a bit of blurting out things I’m considering as I continue working on it. I think the interludes are a neat idea to introduce the Toa (and could work as advertising concepts as well?), so I think I’ll write some more. Thanks for any and all feedback, guys! I’m so happy that LEGO has provided this route to work as a community on this. I’m excited to see what the future holds for the project!

2 Likes

I like all the Toa’s personalities, and I’m looking forward to see how they all get along with each other (or how they don’t sometimes, perhaps).

Best of luck in your proposal, Noah! I’m keeping my fingers crossed for ya.

2 Likes

Just a question: do the new Toas Kanohi grant them any unique powers as they would in G1, or do they merely give them Toa power and change them from Matoran to Toa?

1 Like

The Kanohi are somewhat of a blend between G2, classic superhero storylines, and TTV’s Brickonicle ideas, if I’m remembering correctly.

The Masks in the stories have innate powers over the elements (Fire, Water, Ice, Earth, Jungle, and Air in my world), which are given to their bearers, like G2 masks. The Matoran are transformed by the masks into Toa, like Brickonicle, and can use the Kanohi while they are wielding them to manipulate their individual elements.

The Kanohi also appear to have somewhat of a will of their own, which can especially be noted in Part 9 (I’ll let readers try to figure out where I mean), as well as the voice they seem to carry.

Whether or not they have any further, more specific powers, or how much affect they actually have on the Matoran beneath, I have not yet decided, but that’s also a great opportunity for contribution!

If you have an account on Tongal (which, to my understanding, is the engine that runs World Builder), you can contribute pitches and ideas to any part of the story, and even make some $$$ if New Shores ever makes it to the official side of things. If you want to just suggest things on here, that’s perfectly fine, too!

Me too, honestly

Thanks!

2 Likes

Ahh neat.

1 Like

Ok. I did make something like that for a D&D mod that I’ve been working on. Toa start with a mask that lets them control their element, plus being able to get a Kanohi that gives them an extra ability later on.

2 Likes

Ooh, that’s pretty cool! I’ve been trying to think of how the Toa could later “upgrade,” like the Nuva. After all, we’d want multiple years of sets, and even minifigures deserve modifications and improvements.

1 Like

Yes, that would work! The Toa gain a “G1” Kanohi that grants an ability, like shielding or whatever you wish, plus their mask of element control that grants them their Toa abilities.

2 Likes

Ooh, some sort of mask add-on feature… That’s pretty cool, I may just do that! Thanks!

1 Like