Bionicle's Netflix series is being pirated, please help with this

should I put the link then?

1 Like

unfortunately, i am not the most familiar with the “posting links in topics”, hopefully another person can say whether that is a good idea or not.

One thing of note, guys. While I commend your efforts, I must remind you of one of our rules. Go ahead and read about it right here.

Thanks, and good luck everyone!

10 Likes

well, there is your answer. guess you can’t post it. but can you give me a hint to find it, so i can see what they are for myself?

also, if it is full length bionicle episodes, they will be flagged!

1 Like

alright, so the hint is ‘toonova’ search for it, not only JtO is there but all the movies

2 Likes

hm…how do we take this down?

I have no idea…

1 Like

I’m so proud of you all :’) #MakeBionicleGreatAgain
Anyway, the best way to remove these is probably to send Lego an email via their customer service page.

6 Likes

i guess so.

1 Like

Even though piracy is a problem, this makes you realize, half of the people watching this may have already seen it on netflix but are downloading it to watch later without wifi. Netflix should add a feature where Wifi is not necessary,a t leased for certain films. I used to watch the original Bionicle films on Youtube (before I realized they had them on Netflix), But I would’ve gladly paid Lego for them- But they were no longer selling them by the time I watched the films.

6 Likes

Right guys, we’re opening up this topic again. Just remember to have QUALITY discussion here. AKA, don’t just say "I flagged it!"

I mean you can mention that but you can ALSO have in-depth discussion. We encourage the anti-piracy actions. Keep it up.

(Plus it’s a rule to have in-depth discussion so please do so.)

8 Likes

So, I was messaged by a friend who just said “watch it here, before they take it down.” I messaged him “please, flag it, we don’t encourage piracy”. Also, I have commented “Please, dude, take this down, because this belongs to Netflix.” I guess if this campaign succeeds, I’ll have my peace. :smile:

4 Likes

I should point out now that watching the pirated content on Youtube or similar streaming sites is not illegal.

Mass flagging however is against Youtube terms of services and if you are caught doing it your account can be taken down. Even if you are only flagging videos that contain copyrighted content.

It is illegal to pirate the video (copy it from Netflix and upload it to Youtube) however Youtube hosting that is not illegal, it is just that copyright owners can get Youtube to take it down. The only legality it breaks regarding Youtubes is Youtubes own rules/laws - hence why they act. It doesn’t prevent the person from uploading it again via another account or another site.

I should also mention now that Youtube is not the main sharing site for Netflix shows, as there are multiple much more popular sites where things like Daredevil show up immediately after being uploaded on Netflix. As such Youtube in itself is a very minor drop in a very large pool of places you can find Journey To One.

======

While i dislike piracy i personally feel that this sort of ‘mass flagging’ of Youtube videos for sharing Bionicle videos is a bad thing and here are the reasons;

Lego have acted on this prior and certain content they allow to be shared on Youtube and the resulting fallout of this could be dangerous to the Biotube community

Lego set a precedence on this before, allowing the Ninjago episodes to have been pirated onto Youtube until they uploaded them on their own channel and took down the pirated versions. Some aspects, for whatever reason, are allowed by Lego to be shared on sites such as Youtube - normally with full knowledge of them being on Youtube.

The Winter and Summer animations have been pirated and uploaded on Tesla-Effect and both videos are allowed to remain because for whatever reason, despite Lego being aware of them, they do not have an issue with them.

The Lego Movie for example is copyrighted and if it is uploaded it will be automatically acknowledged by the copyright system and will be taken down. This demonstrates that Lego are aware that certain content of theirs is being pirated and have chosen to act only when necessary - on a big-budget movie for example.

The only reason Lego are really having to act on ‘Journey To One’ is because you are forcing them to, and that is a VERY BAD thing to get Lego to do. Unlike the automatic copyright system that activates based on a sample given to them via Lego - what happens when a video receives a lot of flags is the following.

Youtube takes note of what is being flagged, the tags, the title, everything - and begins a process of getting it auto-copyrighted. That doesn’t simply mean ‘Journey To One’ though, it means they will likely get in touch with Lego and determine with Lego which content should be given auto-copyright status (to be taken down whenever uploaded)

This could mean an end to varying aspects such as clips, trailers, AMV’s, reviews that use clips of Bionicle media (both old and new) - it could mean an end to many forms of Biotube.

Losing potential fans;
Lots of Biotubers share the Bionicle commercials, animations, trailers and do this primarily to make it easier for viewers to watch and enjoy - without them we would have never experienced a majority of Bionicle content. Especially older content that has only been saved via the groups of Youtubers who have been uploading it.

As mentioned by @shartimus12, one of these videos has over 25,000 views. Someone who has Netflix would be unlikely to go to Youtube to watch the video, so that’s 25,000 fans who now do not have access to ‘Journey To One’

Added to this the idea that ‘Journey To One’ is primarily designed, like Hero Factory and other shows, to advertise the sets - avoiding showing that to over 25,000 fans could result in a large loss of not only viewers, but also a loss in sales.

Its worth noting also that out of these 25,000 - a lot of which will either be new fans, or simply people who have not experienced Bionicle before. It is a lot easier to find things you like on Youtube rather than being recommended a show on Netflix (JTO is currently NOT being shown in the recommended area on Netflix)

The impact on those who do not have Netflix;
In the past many Youtubers who have been unable to use Netflix have resorted to viewing the episodes via other mentions. I’ve previously brought up the idea of TTV watching the pirated Ninjago episodes for the purposes of reviews and while excuses have flown regarding that, it is still piracy and a lot of people have done it and will continue to do it to share content.

People are still committing piracy to do this, and everyone has their own excuses for doing so, without Youtube we wouldn’t have had quick/early reviews of Ninjago or other Lego lines. It is essentially depriving them of a way to watch something they enjoy and something that could encourage them to buy the sets.

The double-sided nature of people fighting piracy;
One of the biggest gripes i have is that those fighting piracy have used piracy themselves and many continue to do so until this day. I’ve always viewed piracy as having different levels of severity, however even then it is still piracy. I feel a lot of people here supporting the idea of going around and taking down these videos via organised ‘mass flagging’ in a sort of vigilante style are guilty of having used piracy to make things easier or benefit their lives prior.

The levels of enjoyment people have from destroying Youtube channel and Youtubers who may just be kids themselves;

The levels of excitement, enjoyment and general lack of caring about these fans of Bionicle who have decided to share the content with everyone because they enjoyed it. While granted we do likely have some just sharing the videos for the sake of monetisation, that is unlikely for many channels and having your account taken down for copyright infringement/piracy is something that can seriously affect a kid - especially considering in their mind all they did was share a video with friends and family.

Imagine for a second you are a fan of Bionicle and you want to support the line, what do you do? You let people know about it. You share their photo’s. You buy their toys. You watch their series. Then you share the series with someone else and they tell you that they cannot view it because they cannot access Netflix. So you copy and share it with them… then they have their channel taken down for breaching copyright/piracy. Do you really think they’d still be as much of a fan if they’ve had a bad experience with the line?

How much do people in this topic actually know about piracy?

How many people here actually care about piracy Vs. those who are just flagging a Youtube video to spite someone?

Its an interesting thought to have when looking through this topic.

Overall though i just hope that people are prepared for the negative repercussions of their actions that will come from preventing people from watching JTO on other sites.

13 Likes

I’m sorry, but the flagging system exists for a reason. Using the system for it’s intended purpose, IE. Reporting videos that are clearly breaking Youtube’s Community Guidelines is so far away from the concept of vigilantism that I don’t understand why you even brought it up in the first place.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with flagging an illegal video that is in violation of the rules, no matter how hard you try to string it as such. And your cries of hypocrisy does not change this.

A good deed might not negate a bad deed, you are correct. But that goes both ways. A bad deed does not negate a good deed.

19 Likes

I know this, however Youtube considers mass flagging to be ‘flagging similar videos’ and if a Youtuber’s only flags are them all flagging ‘Journey To One’ content then the system will consider it mass flagging. If the same people go around flagging similar sorts of videos over and over they will be considered ‘Youtube bots’ and their channels could be taken down or negatively affected.

The Youtube help forums are full of people complaining about this occurring to them - and Youtube will not respond to help these people. I am hoping to inform people of the negative consequences because Youtube will label these good acts as bad.

I know this from personal experience from a time when i was going around flagging copyrighted content from one of the shows i enjoyed that was being uploaded and monetised by other Youtubers - i eventually received an email claiming my Youtube account was under suspicion of having ‘suspicious activity regarding flagging’ and any further flags would jeopardies the account. This could affect anyone here who is hoping to flag the videos, even if they are in the right for doing so.

I would just advise people treat this with caution and don’t immediately flag everything JTO related, because doing so quickly may be lumped with ‘suspicious activity’. If you must then space it out a bit or try to avoid doing it in quick succession.

7 Likes

New, maybe. Old…I’m not so sure. While LEGO does still own the G1 media, I’m pretty sure they’re not going to come down hard on instances of it being used on Youtube, partially because it is no longer making them any money. The animations from 2015 certainly may get taken down, but they are on LEGO’s Youtube channel anyway, so I doubt compilation videos being taken away will decrease fan viewership, since they’re so easy to find regardless.

Why copy and share it with them when you could invite them over and watch it together? While I understand your perception that piracy may not be done with explicitly nefarious intent, it’s still piracy, no matter who commits it. Most kids would need a parent’s help to upload JtO, and if the parents do it willingly, they are complicit and they deserve to have the video flagged. Sure, going bananas and flagging videos indiscriminately may be a bit overzealous–people should be vigilant and cautious with whatever action they take–but fans of the show have a right to prevent it from being incorrectly used and distributed. I can almost guarantee that the amount of fans lost over flagged videos will not be astronomical. If BIONICLE is going to have a crisis based upon massive departures of fans, miffed Youtubers are going to be in the vast minority of those who leave.

4 Likes

Then I suppose there ought to be no issue in flagging all of TTV’s Ninjago reviews.

After all, their descriptions include links to pirated episodes and therefore condone the pirating of them.

I’d just be enforcing the law as an upstanding citizen, right?

While I’m at it, better enlist the help of hundreds of other individuals.

If we don’t, Ninjago will surely fail financially.

Var, you may be exempt from rules on your own boards, but you are just as much bound by national law as the rest of us. Being a part of big 'ole YouTube channel doesn’t change that. If we’re going to give people flak for pirating Journey to One, then I hope you’re prepared to have the same logic directed your way.

16 Likes

I believe this issue has already been answered before…to quote Eljay and Meso:

[quote=“Eljay, post:21192, topic:15529”] The difference between these two things is fairly clear and straight forward.

The episodes of NinjaGo are released on an inconsistent basis, sometimes months ahead of time in different countries. Most of the time, they’re aired by Cartoon Network Asia, but in English. This means you run the risk of reading spoilers to the series online, but having to wait until they’re on TV in your country before you can see it.

The links we post to episodes of NinjaGo are not to imply that we support piracy. It’s pretty clear we don’t. The episodes have aired, but not in the US for viewing. Netflix doesn’t work like that. The episodes are (to my knowledge) released in every country Netflix is available in all at once. It’s up there for everyone. And you can also get a free trial if you don’t feel like having a full subscription. You can’t use the excuse that you don’t have cable, or it hasn’t aired where you are.

Is there a double standard? Yes, there is. However there is an unfortunate rationale behind it that we understand, and will gladly change if Lego gets on a consistent US release schedule. It’s pretty clear we support Lego in all their endeavors, which makes it really confusing for me that you want to stir things up at this time when there’s no point in doing so. [/quote]

[quote=“Mesonak, post:21194, topic:15529”] Regarding the Ninjago video discussion: Yeah, admittedly, the double standard does exist. If Lego better communicated the release dates and scheduling for the episodes of Ninjago, perhaps we wouldn’t resort to secondhand uploads. That being said, we record reviews of the episodes based on our immediate and honest reactions to them, so watching them as soon as possible to avoid getting spoiled is almost a necessity, considering we’re public figures in the community. Spoilers can come from anywhere at any time; once, I even got a Ninjago-related plot spoiler on an Xbox message! It’s an unfortunate situation that I wouldn’t expect many people in the community to be able to relate to as easily, so I don’t fault anyone for the confusion.

With JTO, I don’t think people should post pirated uploads because, as Eljay pointed out, the release is consistent for all countries (I think, feel free to correct if that’s wrong), and Netflix is easily accessible to most people considering there’s a free trial if you don’t already have the service. There’s very little reason for people to resort to secondhand uploads. [/quote]

Now, I’m not going to comment on whether I personally accept their logic. It’s a sticky situation, and one that certainly inspires controversy, but there’s no need to act like the mods/cast members are hypocritically unaware of the situation, when it has clearly been broached before…

6 Likes

Uh oh here this conversation comes. I’m pretty sure this was discussed in the 2016 discussion forum and let’s all be honest were those necessarily pirated as they came out in a country that the episodes were already released in so they are technically not leaked\pirated

4 Likes