Biovival Discussion (aka Christian Faber's mysterious project)

Do you think the core mystery would once again be a giant robot, or something else entirely?

3 Likes

I’m of the opinion that there doesn’t need to be a core mystery. Of course, having one more than helps, but I think Bionicle has a lot of potential as an aesthetical narrative device to explore concepts that don’t quite fit with a human-centric setting, and, as I briefly touch upon in this post, I believe that Bionicle can be used to re-examine well-worn themes and tropes from a different perspective.

Some of the other ideas that’ve floated through my head since making that post include a feudalistic society with a hierarchical structure based and adhering to the evolutionary cycle of the Matoran race: the transitions from Matoran to Toa and Toa to Turaga reflecting the inherent conflict in a meritocratic oligarchy.

Or a space-faring story following a biomechanical crew as they encounter a biological alien race, exploring the emphasis placed upon physical differences, and emphasising how those physical differences can genuinely affect interactions between two radically different peoples.

Or a dive into the consequences of an society on the verge of becoming decadent challenged with the discovery of a potential next step to their evolution, forcing a great degree of societal evaluation after being confronted with the prospect of stagnation and degredation versus extreme and change that will leave society scarcely recognisable.

The favourite and first of these ideas was that of a Detective Noir following a Matoran Private Investigator, which is the only one which is set within G1 explicitly. It’d explore the initial subtle stages of a police state through the perspective of a biomechanical former-cop encountering the roboticised police force that replaced him. This would be one with a core mystery: the events prior to City of Legends, the purpose of the Vahki as an unthinking army beholden to Makuta Teridax.

There’s also the example of Bionicle Eternal, which has a Matoran Civil War between tribes as the setting for the first book, although it’s told in a manner much more akin to a more traditional Bionicle story.

There’s definitely a lot of potential ideas and stories to be told within both the continuity and general framework of G1, however I’m always going to be more inclined to the broader philosophical exploratory applications of Bionicle. Most of the ideas I’ve presented here are little more than base concepts, carried upon the fledgling idea of Bionicle’s potential as a means to explore through the lens of biomechanical beings with varying degrees of connections to nature and the raw elements. Some stories would feature the juxtaposition present in the first years of G1 more than others, however the breaking of the conventional character form also allows for the breaking of narrative and aesthetic in a way I believe is unique to Bionicle.

9 Likes

Thats a cool idea, vehicles for space faring Bionicle would be rad; tech is so funky as they have like hoverboards, but they also still ride rahi around. Would it be liek a biological ship thing? Its got cool potential.

1 Like

I feel like they should really do a story far along into the future after G1’s end. We never got to explore the Great Being’s too much. Maybe the Toa and Matoran launch from the planet and explore the solar system. Kind of like Robot Star Trek in terms of exploration. Who knows the ruins or bio organic life that still exist in the rest of the solar system.

2 Likes

I don’t think a biological ship would serve Bionicle as well as it serves examples like Farscape or Lexx, where the biological nature of the vessel acts as a contrast to the characters. By having biomechanoid characters, you sort of remove the point of a biomechanoid ship. Instead of being an unusual contrasting point, it’s unremarkable.

2 Likes

There might be a 4th virtue! /s

4 Likes

Wh

what.

3 Likes

y’know he’s got a point

4 Likes

Some news that might interest Biovival followers:

LEGO World Builder is a new platform now open for users to submit and collaborate on concepts for LEGO worlds / themes. (You submit art, backstory, characters etc.) Those that capture LEGO’s attention can be made into actual themes.

Crucially, past / existing LEGO IPs like BIONICLE are allowed.

You are welcome to create and expand upon worlds based on existing LEGO-owned franchises and IP, such as Ninjago or LEGO Friends, however, worlds may not contain third-party IP (like Harry Potter or Game of Thrones). Use your imagination!

Is it a coincidence that Faber has been talking about wanting to bring back BIONICLE, hinting vaguely at fan collaboration, then the exact platform that would allow LEGO to bring this into their workflow officially is announced? Perhaps, but who knows. :thinking:

14 Likes

Bro, if Faber doesn’t use this, I absolutely will.

6 Likes

Now this is very interesting. I’m not sure if there’s definitely a connection, but this is very cool nonetheless.

2 Likes

Worldbuilding is Faber’s specialty, so he could absolutely utilize this to great effect.

5 Likes

The question is, how much is he against making toys, since he is quite a “save the enviroment” type.

2 Likes

Not to dash anyone’s hopes or anything, but given the language he’s used around the old sets, like how these parts are precious and that they’ll never be made again, I think he’s made it fairly clear that he doesn’t intend for there to be a toyline attached to this, whatever it may end up being.

6 Likes

I have the same feeling, especially since his “toys on the beach” reddit post.

1 Like

That is explored in a fan comic named Bionicle Nova Orbis

1 Like

Really?
Sounds interesting.:+1:

1 Like

It explores a far future where the matoran expanded to other planets and have evolved to be more organic after joining with the agori. Most of the cast is new but some old characters like Ahkmou return. Especially with Macku and Hafu being turaga.

2 Likes

New Instagram post about the Unity engine, with a little tease at the end.

now we have Unity so next is duty and destiny, if you have the patience​:wink::grinning::moyai::robot::rocket:

3 Likes

Question is, who will make a Duty and a Destiny Engine? :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

4 Likes