Biovival Discussion (aka Christian Faber's mysterious project)

Does he have to tell us? Again, the only complaint I’ve seen that seems valid to me would be if he won’t say whether or not he has a “thing”, but the examples you gave definitely show that this is more than just inspirational artwork.

I’m starting to get the feeling that I’m in the minority here, but I have no problem with the way Faber’s been doing this. At no point in the past two years have I felt that my hopes have been let down, or that Faber has been “too” secretive.

He’s definitely been secretive about pretty much the entire thing, but I have never seen any reason to expect anything more. Pretty much the only expectation that I’ve had throughout this whole process is that he is eventually going to do something that is somehow related to Bionicle if everything works out.

5 Likes

Does he want me to keep caring?

There’ve been some great posts by Meso and Kini and Pakari and SirKeksalot and… Yeah. I’m not restating the essays posted already.

Especially not the ones posted today.

4 Likes

This is the funniest thing I have ever read. Truly.

I’d say you probably are in the minority then. Not that it’s a bad thing and if you don’t feel slighted or concerned at all, that’s fine. But as I said previously, for me, if I’m going to be used as a statistic to prove that Faber has support for whatever it is he’s working on, I’d like to know at least a little bit about what it actually is.

Don’t invest in something you know nothing about.

Ultimately all I want to know is where Faber sees this going. If it’s a community initiative to keep Bionicle alive and bring new stories and themes to the forefront via collaboration and worldbuilding, I’m all for it. I’ve been involved in plenty of fandom projects with the same scope. If it’s an actual product Faber wants to put out, then my interest is significantly lessened. But mainly, I don’t like being treated like a child who can’t possibly understand the machinations of Faber, or what it takes to make a project, or should be content just to have anything. The fact remains that if Faber is eventually going to do something that is somehow related to Bionicle if everything works out… well I’d like to know even the barest minimum information about what that something is, just like I wanted to know what RSG’s goal is. Just like I wanted to know what Meso and Eljay’s goals were when pitching the contests. Just like I wanted to know what Crainy’s goal was with QFMN. Just like I wanted to know what the goal was for Illiad, or the myriad hundreds of other fan projects that have cropped up.

I can’t support you if I have no idea what it is you want to do. More to the point, I can’t support you if you don’t respect me or my time enough to tell me even the barest minimum of what it is you want to do. Faber’s gone back and forth between inferring that he wants to develop a product and just wants to inspire people. All I want is clarity, and I don’t think “What is your end goal” is an unreasonable request to make of a content creator.

And if Faber truly doesn’t know or have any idea what shape he wants his #Biovival to take, he should come out and say it. But so far, he hasn’t.

5 Likes

ok but are you Elon Musk

Uh, pretend to be alive until a miracle happens?

I probably shouldn’t say that

4 Likes

ok but are you Elon Musk

As far as my interactions with Kini were, he’s not a crazy madman who denies basic science

I can neither confirm nor deny except to say if I was there’d be a lot more cryptic Bonkle tweets on Elon’s Twitter.

Plus it’s okay, Illiad’s on life support, that’s fine. You don’t have to pull the plug yet, insurance will still cover

3 Likes

You haven’t seen our PMs

No, the question was if YOU’RE Elon Musk, not if Faber is.

That reminds me.

You losers remember the Iliad reveal video? Where we reminded people we existed?

“Bionicle: Iliad is a small group of members in the Bionicle community who are joined together by one goal; to retell the story of Bionicle through a fully CGI 3d animated television format. This show will be brought to the community via YouTube in a way that is suitable for all audiences.”

All our cards were on the table. Stupid, unfeasible, severely understaffed, all the zeros in the budget went to Ghid’s bank account (all 17 zeros - $000,000,000,000,000.00), but you know who we are and what we’re doing off the bat. No holds barred, no punches pulled. You get what you ‘pay’ for.

Y’know, Faber could do something like this at some point. Less wordy since we don’t need a pitch, but…

I’m definitely not just saying this because Faber’s watching nope nuh uh

6 Likes

If I was Elon we’d be on a way better forum host. One that doesn’t drive me insane every day. :slight_smile:

Basically this is all I ask for.

It’s incredibly hard to support someone when they won’t tell you what they want you to support.

When my friends tell me they’re working on something, I expect them to tell me what it is they’re working on so I can get hyped and lend my assistance. This is the same reason why so many content creators reiterate what they’re about on their hundredth or even thousandth video. Because you can’t assume people know what’s going on.

I want to support Faber, I genuinely do. But he hasn’t given me anything to support, and his posts are having the opposite effect. Him deleting them in the face of controversy with no explanation is also troubling… lots of people are referencing NDA’s that may-or-may-not exist (we have zero evidence) and Cease-And-Desist’s that, I can tell you right now, would hold very little legal weight.

Dude’s silent because he wants to be. And if he IS bound by something, he’s also silent on that. Fun Fact, NDA agreements do not exclude you from saying you’re bound by an NDA agreement.

4 Likes

You’re forgetting the NDA about the NDAs.

The reason the secret is secret is because the seeker who seeks it will see the secret’s not worth seeking and the secret seeking sneak will appear weak and kill me just kill me

Where we’re going, we don’t need support.

Now please stand aside while I skip backwards down this flight of stairs. And hand me the scissors. I need them to cut the tension on Faber’s instagram.

4 Likes

That’s a nice follow-up video.

Thanks for correcting the record on the “OC” image. (Hopefully this community of MOCists etc. will be able to work out what “OC” could mean so that you are less confused. :wink:)

I look forward to the interview.

As he said in the original interview request, he wanted to have had certain meetings before talking about the project. We know that those meetings hadn’t happened by 1/4/20, hence no interview or concrete details yet, so the number one question must be “have they happened now?”

2 Likes

Yee because unlike biovival he has been putting most of his main focus from the last 6 years into that. Kinda self explanatory.

It does not I’ll have to refer you to the above.

Yes I don’t know but I’m willing to wait patiently for another 2 years if I must to see if it went anywhere. I’m not sitting here hoping for anything. The only thing this has me worked up over is this continuos antagonizing of Faber from left to right.

To conclude Fabers cryptic posts/project bothers me less than the communitys apparent “impatience”, lack of clarity, not being convincing enough or whatever you want to label it as. If in 2 years we still haven’t got anything new I’ll concede but until then I won’t change my stance on any of this.

The following has nothing to do with the above. Just thought it was interesting that he used his Sea allegory or a similar one here, to the one in his Ted X talk

3 Likes

Listening to the TEDx Talk is recontextualising a lot of his seemingly cryptic statements for me.
Again, I feel like I’m almost certainly in his target demographic, and the TEDx Talk reaffirms that. I see his art, I hear his ideas, and my imagination fills in the rest to what feels like an infinite degree.

He talks about how we are still out there, still making. Riding the wave.

4 Likes

Faber is Veilika confirmed guys

Seriously though, I tend to agree with you, the TEDx Talk is an eye opener for sure.

1 Like

I’m probably misunderstanding you since it seems pretty obvious, but if all he wanted to say was “It’s so great that people are still creating BIONICLE content after all this time!” then he could’ve … I don’t know, said that? Without hyping it up like he was remaking the franchise? Isn’t that the entire problem?

4 Likes

Yes and no.

The specific way it’s phrased in the talk, and the way it’s been discussed in here, leads me to believe that it’s him effectively leveraging us as weight in whatever it is he’s doing with whomever it is he’s working with.

To paraphrase from the talk, “the Bionicle community is still out there, going into education, doing classes for 3d modelling, and I’m still in contact with them,” which, to me, implies that he’s doing things under the surface, and that he’s trying to lead us into the sea. We may not be able to see what he’s working on through the vast distances between us and him, but I still think he is working on something. Again though, I’m really rather optimistic about all this, and seemingly am in the minority of those who are interested in what else he has to show us beyond Bionicle, regardless of scale.

6 Likes

It means that those letters are round.

Interpreting any other meaning is like seeing a Skrall shield in the rust – you’re seeing things that aren’t there.

It’s not impatience.
I don’t mind waiting to see what he creates.
What I take issue with is him doing everything in his power to let people believe it’s bionicle G3, if even he doesn’t know. And when he and other people blame the community for misunderstanding, when Faber’s lack of Clarity Kent is at fault.

I don’t like to throw out serious accusations, but what he has been doing is basically lying to his audience, then blaming them for believing him. I don’t hate him for it, because I don’t believe it was ever intentional. I had no intention of antagonizing him about it. In fact, based upon his recent posts, I think he’s starting to recognize the problems with his actions.

People who say “I don’t think he was trying to mislead people” are fine; heck, I agree with them. But people who say “it’s not his fault for misleading people, it’s the fans fault for believing it”; that is problematic, in my eyes, and it’s why I joined this argument.

6 Likes

Archived Footage from TTV’s interview with Christian Faber

8 Likes

Yeah, and unlike Biovival it has an identifiable direction.

It doesn’t take six years to say it’s a thing I intend to accomplish which will take a digital form. It takes six seconds.

It, um, does. It also shows that Faber starts publicly talking about things before he can produce them, for better or for worse, intentionally or otherwise.

Thank you for your duty in protecting someone who threw himself on the firing range. He specifically walked directly into this line of antagonism and it’ll continue in spite of your defense until something changes. That’s not my opinion or anyone’s opinion on this site, it’s a fact. He’s set himself up for a very large fall and he’s taking jabs at the people offering him a way out.

I don’t like that he’s done that and I don’t have any personal reasons to despise Faber - and I don’t despise him at all. But facts are facts, and if Faber doesn’t start saving face sometime soon there won’t ever be a Biovival.

Sorry, but in two years I’m not going to care about whether or not you still hold the opinion that Faber’s done nothing wrong, because in two years of the same kind of nonsensical game that we’ve had for the last two years, Faber’s not going to be a factor. Biovival’s going to be a joke, a farce remembered only for a handful of concept art and a textbook of how not to appeal to your audience.

You’re welcome to hold any opinion you want, but it’s hard for me to agree with you when I see disastrous failure on one hand and complete dismissal from the Bionicle community on the other.

And since you’ve said you absolutely positively refuse to change any part of your opinion, we’re done here.

Yeah, I’m really surprised how it could be seen differently. The more people try to make sense out of the two letters, the more like a hair-brained Smash leak theory it seems. Like how Sakurai had purple and yellow chairs which definitely 100% meant Skull Kid.

2 Likes

Exactly this.

I still don’t think @Tarkur is understanding what people are trying to say.

No one here cares at all about waiting for things. Impatience is not what’s happening because there isn’t anything to be impatient for.

What there is is frustration (not antagonizing) that we aren’t being told one of the first things you should tell your audience when you’re creating something for them.

Whatever Biovival is, it can take 5, 10, 15 years to finish, it doesn’t matter. But it shouldn’t take 2 years to tell your intended audience what the nature of your project even is, especially if your audience happens to be a very passionate and starved one. And you especially don’t start teasing things and telling your audience you’re in talks with people about it if you really don’t even know what it’s going to be yourself.

Faber clearly knows what form his project is supposed to take, otherwise he wouldn’t be meeting people and posting art and making posts about it. He just simply refuses to tell us.

Again, it’s not about waiting for the actual project. People just really want to know what exactly he wants it to be and we are entitled to know that as his intended consumer/audience. He doesn’t need to make any headway whatsoever to convey to us what he wants the project to do or be or become because that’s the first thing you come up with when you do a creative project.

To reiterate, I don’t personally care about how this plays out either way. I have no stake in the matter. However, I do want to see the issue discussed, but it’s very hard to have a good discussion when people are arguing against the wrong thing. What most people are saying on this topic isn’t even directly in opposition to what you are claiming.

And if you’d like to see for yourself what exactly it is we are frustrated about, imagine that for your next university marketing assignment, you just refuse to inform your professor about what your project is. It’s the same sort of situation.

7 Likes

This is actually a great analogy but I’d take it one step further.

We’re students in a class. The Syllabus tells us there will be a final project. The Professor has told us there will be a final project. We know it’s important to our grade but our professor refuses to tell us what the project is. Instead, all we get is “You will have a project that will involve the information you learn in this course.”

What kind of project? Is it a group project? Is it an essay? Is it an experiential learning assignment? Is it open research? What is it even worth to my grade?

Sure, I can make it through half the semester without that information, but eventually I’m going to get annoyed if we’re weeks away from the end of the term and the professor still hasn’t given any information.

I can only support something blindly with no knowledge of what it is for so long.

8 Likes