Biovival Discussion (aka Christian Faber's mysterious project)

That is, ultimately, irrelevant to the conversation at hand. There will ALWAYS be individuals who believe they were strung along. They are irrelevant in that scenario.

“Fans” may not be unanaimously positive but the difference will be that the people who ARE positive are confirmed to be positive about what’s going on.

It feels as though you’re trying to say that secrecy is better for Faber in the long run but does it not just compound the chance that there’s a negative reaction?

Let me be abundantly clear. You are arguing something so far removed from what we’re arguing that it’s actually bordering on semantics. The negative reaction to Faber saying what he’s trying to do will happen no matter what. There will always be individuals who are disappointed

The difference is in the number of people disappointed. The longer it takes for us to find out, the higher a chance that more people are disappointed.

And more to the point, “Won’t people be mad” is not a compelling reason to keep them in the dark.

6 Likes

Lol this debacle is still going on. There isn’t much left to discuss here. Faber made some mistakes in the way he was showcasing his work, but did anyone honestly think Bionicle was going to get a G3 because Christian teased a project? Whether he is or isn’t doesn’t matter becasue that’s a pretty hefty goal, no reason to get angry if it doesn’t happen.

5 Likes

Well, I would expect that, if he clarifies his intentions and follows-through on making a product start to finish, he would be transparent about the production process along the way.

If in this hypothetical he comes out and says “Hey guys, this is what I wanted to make, but it ultimately couldn’t be done. This is what we’ve had to make it instead.” Then no, I wouldn’t feel strung along because he would be clear about it. That’s the creative process, and things evolve and change.

If he were to develop the project, hiccups occur, and he then doesn’t mention that they happened, then yes, a final product that is different than initially advertised would be disappointing and people would be mad.

You only have to look at any failed video game ever to see that.

Example: When I was making my graphic novel, I initially wanted it to be set in a medieval fantasy world. The idea changed, and it wound up being urban fantasy. If I had hidden that fact from my professor up until I actually published the thing, yes, she would have been mad.

But I didn’t. I was upfront with her about the changes that always happen during the process. Thus, no frustrations.

5 Likes

This hasn’t really been a point of discussion for like, 2 days though, so… shrug

7 Likes

That may be true, but it has evolved into a never ending debate of nothingness.

8 Likes

Ye pretty much.

7 Likes

But one I have unwittingly been dramatically sucked into regardless.

Oh well.

7 Likes

We do it for nostalgia, you know?

Right?

right?

3 Likes

There was some interesting discussion around the TEDx Talk and how that recontextualises a lot of his Instragram posts, giving us a greater insight into the mind that made them and why they were worded as they were. It’s been incredibly circular, though.

4 Likes

At the end of the day, this all comes down to one thing for me. If he were doing nothing but post concept art and wax lyrical, Faber wouldn’t need to explain himself at all. But he’s doing more; he’s actively asking for ‘support’. He’s used the word verbatim on more than one occasion. His social media presence is blatantly trying to drum up support for whatever nebulous goal he has. For that reason alone, he really ought to offer an explanation.

I personally see it like crowdfunding. If you tried to get support on a crowdfunding sight, you’d get laughed out the door if you refused to even describe what it was you were planning to create. Now, Faber isn’t asking for money of course, which is presumably why so many people are content to let him continue with no commitments of any kind from his end. However, he still asks repeatedly for ‘support’.

He refuses to even outline what this support entails, but he’s asking for it nonetheless. If he’s going to ask that of us, it’s only fair that we ask in return “okay, what are we supporting?”

10 Likes

Maybe so, but nostalgia is an unhealthy obsession these days, as can be seen within this fandom and people throwing fits at Faber.

2 Likes

that post wasn’t meant to be taken seriously but fair enough

4 Likes

I know people are just going to tell me to watch it myself (and I probably should as it’s at least tangentially pertinent to the topic), but does anyone have the SparkNotes version of what he said in that talk?

2 Likes

Ah, I honestly didn’t catch that at first, my bad.

1 Like

those darn bionicle fans and their

shuffles deck
pulls out card

requiring basic information

Unless those NDAs specify that you can’t even hint that you’re working on something at all.

But, uh, we know Faber doesn’t have that because he’s posting developmental concept art.

I’m making an official community announcement: I am going to do something today.

By the way, here’s this:

Something will occur today and I will be doing it.

By the way, here’s this:

I hope you guys are as excited as I am.

By the way, here’s this:

If you think this is even remotely related to Kopaka, you’re a dummy. There’s no reason for you to think that. Why would you think that?

By the way, here’s this:

And really, you’re the one at fault for campaigning for something I’m not doing. When did I ever give you the slightest hint?

By the way, here’s this:

19 Likes

Ghid Newell announces Kopaka 3

10 Likes

This screenshot just makes me think he’s making a Arg. (For does of you who don’t know what that is, look it up.)

Well said, I think this is perfectly fine and good. I’d just advise people to not “crowdfund” something if they don’t know what it is in the first place. That being said, it’s a very bad move on Faber’s part to do that. Doesn’t mean the anger towards him is ok though.

1 Like

All I’m saying is this topic gave me an excuse to post Kopaka passed out on the pavement and why I didn’t do that already is beyond my comprehension

That’s it

No more supporting Faber

5 Likes

Oh god please no. I’m already having 'Nam flashbacks to the Sombra ARG back when I still foolishly believed Overwatch was going to do anything with its lore.

2 Likes