Birth of a Hero: Sandstorm [story]

The sun began to set on the great expanse of Po-Wahi, the sweltering heat of the sands fading away into the chill of night, one lone figure traversed the dunes towards his home, Po-Koro, his body shrouded in a dusty tan cloak, his vented mask weathered by countless storms and kohli matches. As he approached his home, he noticed the great bonfire, not an unusual sight, matoran regularly sat and watched the fire burning at the end of a long day, however something was different, the flames seemed higher than usual, and the crowd gathered around it was eerily silent, in fact, the entire village was quiet.
As he approached the fire those that surrounded it turned to face him, their eyes burned through him, some with disgust, some with disdain, all with the ferocity of the fire before them. It was then he noticed the figure approaching him, hunched and frail, Onewa, the village’s Turaga.
“Welcome child” the ancient sage began, “a dark shadow looms over our island home, but do not worry, I am certain you will succeed” the old man looked towards the matoran sitting around the fire, “even if the others hold their reservations” he said quietly, he began hobbling towards the large central building of the village and motioned for the stunned matoran to follow.
Inside the building was nothing magnificent or awe inspiring, a single dull room in which the turaga lived, Onewa walked towards his shrine to the great spirit and stopped in front of it, only then did the confused matoran gain the words to speak,
“Turaga, you know I like jokes, but this isn’t funny, please.”
The Turaga turned and stepped towards the matoran, grasping his hand and placing something in it, “Pohatu, you have the fighting spirit of your entire people behind you, you are our Toa, as I was before you” the turaga lifted Pohatu’s hand to his chest, a bright light shining from the object in his hand, the light spread across his body as it grew and shifted into an imposing figure, Pohatu: Toa of Stone.
The light faded from Pohatu’s body as he surveyed his new form, “Onewa, what just happened? Why was I chosen?” The elder smiled as he handed Pohatu a staff, “that my child, is something only the great spirit knows” he handed pohatu a scroll, “follow this map, the spirit willing you’ll meet your brothers and sisters there, and perhaps,” his face grew sly, “answers?” He said patting The new Toa on the back, before sending him out into the cold desert air. “I suppose that’s that then.” The Toa said quietly, a slight grin forming on his face, and with that he strode off, locking his hands behind his head.

3 Likes