Bomonga The Bigger (now with instructions)

you’ve outdone yourself Jerminator, this is fantastic. Every part is replicated so well at a bigger scale despite the limitations you gave yourself. I’d love to see this built irl.

6 Likes

oh god
it is beautiful (and thicc)

4 Likes

i am disturbed but also fascinated how such black magic can be achieved in lego parts

5 Likes

Mata Nui, now that’s a titan

6 Likes

I thought you were going to use the Toa Terrain Crawler’s Giant Faxon, though this looks much better.

4 Likes

Yes Yes YEEEES!!! This looks amazing You nailed every detail and shape so well. I especially like the head. Fantastic job :smiley:

3 Likes

Thank you all so much.

What would you recommend? I know your version uses ratchet joints, so it might be difficult to compare, but I wonder if a testing rig could be built to directly compare the resistances of various joints.

Hopefully, yeah. Since I built this in stud.io, I couldn’t test the joints physically, but I made sure to make each joint as robust as I possibly could.

I’ll be honest, I completely forgot about that part until I was halfway through the design, at which point I was in too deep to start over at the correct scale.

Thanks, that’s one of the parts that I’m particularly proud of (the other being the shoulders). I’ve never really considered myself a scale-replica System builder, so it was really cool to see the face come together as well as it did.

Don’t we all.

Obviously it would just be awesome to build this physically, but I’d also like know if there are any issues in the model that I missed.

7 Likes

Whoa. Big guy

3 Likes

“You huge girl guy”
Moto moto

5 Likes

The way you put this together is genius, great job. Hoping someone takes on the challenge of recreating it in real life! :laughing:

4 Likes

This is so cool to see, not just because of how impressive the size build is, but also how detailed and accurately it captures his ‘normal’ size, too. Well done, bro!

4 Likes

Make it in real life! This is amazing!!! Just… wow!!

3 Likes

How many parts were used to make this(I know using stud.io but with people starting to make 3d existing parts like the axels should be easier

2 Likes

Maybe some day; it would definitely be awesome.

The model as-is uses exactly 4600 pieces, though I can already identify a few sections that may require minor tweaking with a physical model, mostly related to how much the Metallic Green hoses stretch in stud.io vs. in real life.

What do you mean by this?

4 Likes

This guys starting to make home made injection molds to make it easier to make bionicles

2 Likes

It would definitely be cool to have the mask as a single piece, even if it doesn’t look any different. The current version relies on press-fitting the 1L liftarms in place, and then trying different pin combinations before the optimal mask-holding strength is achieved.

1 Like

This has taken entirely too long, but I finally made the final push for completing the instructions. The .pdf instructions, as well as the stud.io model, can be accessed by clicking the image below:

Thanks to @FuzzMuffins for the Toa Bomonga text on the cover page.

Due to some last-minute modifications, the model now contains 4609 pieces, up from the 4600 of the version I initially shared.

Also, I’m finally happy with the custom metallic green I made, so I rerendered the mask power demo with the better colour:

10 Likes

For the mask, couldn’t you use the head of the toa terrain crawler?

4 Likes

It’s a bit small:

I had forgotten about that piece until halfway through the design, at which point I was in too deep to start at a smaller scale.

9 Likes

at least now you’d just have to paint the mask instead of printing it out

5 Likes