Book 1 Unity: Onu Koro

Where the Mountains meet the Seas

It rocked back and forth, through the crashing waves. A groggy Lewa stumbles from one side of the ship to another, then slam! He projectiles directly towards another ship mate and falls on the floor wasted. The fog was so thick, that a crew member couldn’t view another across the ship.

Tahu: “Why’s it so foggy?”

He yells angrily.

Tahu: “At this rate, we’ll be the victim of a shipwreck!”

Gali: “It’s called the marine layer. It happens when hot dry air meets cool ocean water. It’s actually good news, since it means that we’re getting closer to Onu Koro, where all that hot dry air is coming from.”

Tahu: “Tell that to the boat once it crashes, Mrs. know it all.”

Gali: “We won’t crash, Onu Koro’s smart enough to designate different bodies of water to ships heading in or out of their bays.”

Lewa gets up from his fumble, but is still groggy. He runs to the right side of the ship, where he throws up overboard. As Lewa brings his head up, he feels a warm feeling touch the left side of his miru. He turns his head and notices the fog beginning to dissipate. The gray and blues of the ship turn to a mellow white.

Lewa: “Hey guys?”

Gali and Tahu continue with subtle arguments.

Lewa: “Guys!”

Tahu: “What Lewa?”

Lewa: “Look.”

Golden yellow light dissipates the borderline fog as Lewa points to an endless landmass stretching for as far as the eye could see. On most islands, coastline’s usually led to flat interiors, where the land would then gradually assimilate to become more hilly or mountainous. But in Onu Koro, beaches would lead instantly to cliffs, or sometimes there wouldn’t even be a beach at all. To Lewa, Mount Tyfus or the mountains he encountered in Ta Koro, were the highest he’d ever seen, but in Onu Koro, the ‘hills’ were considered that size, and that’s only the beginning. Even from the ocean, Lewa could see towering mountains roughly four to five times the size of the ‘hills’ wedged against the coastline.

Once there, the boat lowers a large plank connecting it to a small dock in the mainland.

Tahu: “Okay, plan is-”

The earth begins shaking and a bulge appears on the ground in front of them, until suddenly,

“Yaa hoo!”

The lump of earth explodes into debris of sandy dirt, flying all over everyone’s face. A large black figure emerges from the rubble and wipes the earth of his body.

Tahu: “Okay, gonna be completely honest, I just peed a little.”

Lewa: “Same.”

Gali: “Whenua!”

Whenua: “Hello.”

Tahu: “OFF COURSE SHE KNOWS HIM TOO!”

Lewa: “I mean, who doesn’t? Are you here to help us to find the third mask piece?”

Whenua: “On the mark.”

Lewa: “Thank Mata Nui, already better than all other islands I visited.”

Tahu and Gali: “Hey!”

Whenua laughs.

Whenua: “Oh chucks, don’t be like that. I’m not half the toa Vakama and Nokama are. Except when it comes to strength, I rock that stat to the Pakari.”

Tahu and Lewa look at each other confused.

Gali: “It’s the name of the tallest mountain in Onu Koro, named after the kanohi pakari.”

Whenua: “She’s got it.”

Tahu notices the deceptively small town they’re in.

Tahu: “What’s up with the city? I thought Onu Nui would be a bit bigger.”

Whenua: “That’s because we’re not in it. Follow me.”

He holds Gali in one hand, Tahu in the other, and gives Lewa a ride on his back.

Whenua: “Hold on Lewa!”

He jumps into the hole he had just come from, sliding down the walls of the artificial tunnel like a slide. Lewa looks behind him, and sees the walls of the tunnel caving in on themselves as they slid down the tunnel. With his earth manipulation abilities, Whenua was forming the tunnel behind them as if it was never created in the first place. Once down, they watch in awe as to what Onu Nui really was. A gigantic cavern littered with roads, buildings, and matoran. Roads were indented and the buildings looked as if they were put on a stone pedestal. They start walking the roads, to see the culture and environment.

Lewa: “Woah.”

Tahu: “How’d you kohli heads do it?”

Whenua looks at Gali.

Gali: “What are you looking at? I’m not the toa of earth here?”

Whenua: “Well, our matoran were always cavern dwellers, all it took was makuta raiding to have us migrate below.”

Tahu: “Okay, I might be an ignorant fire spitter, but I do know that technically you’re islands closer to Makuta Nui than ours. So how come we’re the one’s facing the firepower?!”

Whenua: “Um… I don’t know.”

His voice shrinks towards the end of his sentence as he moves his vision to Gali.

Gali: “Seriously? Fine, so there’s many reasons as to why. First off, ocean currents-”

Tahu: “Don’t care, didn’t ask.”

Gali: “But you did ask.”

Tahu: “Fine, but make it quick.”

Gali: “Okay, so from the island of Makuta Nui, ocean currents move west, meaning that it’s easier to transport supplies and rahi to the island of Ta Koro compared to Onu Koro. Second reason is the island’s geography. It’s big, Alone it’s bigger than the landmasses of Le Koro, Ta Koro, Ga Koro, and Mata Nui, combined. Technically, the makuta have more territory on Onu Koro, but since Ta Koro is so small, they have a higher percentage of Ta Koran land in comparison. Also due to the geography, Onu Koro is incredibly difficult to invade. Mountains bordering the island coastline are incredibly difficult to maneuver around, meaning that they can only attack through sea, which we just found out is infeasible due-”

Tahu: “The kohli heads building their cities underground, quick question, why don’t the makuta just barrel through the center of the island?”

Whenua: “Ooo, I can answer this. It’s because the interior is a massive dessert.”

Gali: “That’s right, the mountains of Onu Koro only form a thin ring around the island, most of the island, aka the interior, is an extraordinarily harsh desert. No makuta can survive those conditions.”

They hear a large crowd cheering towards what looks like a massive dome towards the city’s center.

Tahu: “Is that a stadium?”

Whenua: “Yup, we’re called kohli heads for a reason. Who do you guys think is playing?”

Tahu: “Us fire spitters don’t meander with such things as sports.”

Gali: “I don’t know, never really been into sports.”

Lewa: “The Flying Garrobos versus the Nui Jagas.”

Whenua: “Way to go Lewa! I knew you vine swingers cared about sports.”

Lewa: “Actually, I only knew because of that.”

Lewa points to a sign advertising the game.

Whenua: “Oh…”

Lewa: “No but in all seriousness I do like sports. In Le Koro we have a big sports culture. I knew the Flying Garrobos before I learned how to read.”

Whenua: “Still not as good as us, though?”

Lewa: “True, but don’t tell that to another vine swing-”

Lewa’s bag slips from his fingers. An onu matoran, concealing his identity with a skakdi mask, sprints through the street with Lewa’s bag.

Lewa: “Hey, that guys got my stuff!”

However, before they run after the thief, Lewa’s bag glows a yellow light, and in an instant, the thieves right arm transforms into a slimy tentacle, allowing the bag to fall on the floor. The thief yells and falls to the floor in disbelief. He glares directly into Lewa’s eyes, His skakdi mask hiding any emotion the matoran held. The thief then runs off, never to be seen again. Lewa sprints to the bag and carries it once again.

Whenua: “Huh, was wondering where the mask of life was.”

Tahu: “You put the Ignika in a bag?!”

Lewa: “Yeah, we don’t want anyone knowing we have it. Besides, the mask gets cold, I think.”

Gali: “I’m pretty sure just the meer site of you’s a dead giveaway as to where the mask is, Lewa. On top of that, I’m pretty sure Onu Koro has the highest crime rate of any island, so bagging that mask’s probably more of a hassle than anything else. Is that right Whenua?”

Whenua: “Gonna have to agree with you on that one, I often fight off matoran crime families more often than rahi or makuta. As a matter of fact, I’m pretty sure the crime rate has probably rissen a few percentage points, just from me helping you guys.”

Lewa: “Fine, no bag. Why was that guy wearing a skakdi mask?”

Whenua: “Two reasons. one, to hide his identity. And two, because he’s a member of the largest gang in Onu Nui, the Piraka. They idolize the skakdi, and wear crudely made skakdi masks to show their devotion.”

Lewa: “Interesting. Anyways, I think about the time we start exploring. The Ignika’s only been getting brighter ever since I got here.”

Tahu: “Do you know where your metal caverns are? You know, the ones that are super spooky, hardly explored, and are basically a death sentence traveling in them?”

Whenua: “I know exactly what you’re talking about.”

Whenua takes the matoran to the edges of Onu Koro, where they find huge portions of the metal tunnels excavated. Without the stone surrounding the tunnels, they looked like thousands of metal veins intertwining with one another, leading to massive rooms which looked like organs. It was like being up close to a tumbleweed.

Gali: “Mother of Mata Nui!”

Tahu: “Did you guys dig the whole thing out?”

Whenua: “Not quite. Our government has funded projects to excavate and explore large portions of the mechanical tubes, but still we haven’t even gotten close to the source of it. Some estimates predict that we’ve only discovered 3% of what’s left, so it will probably take centuries before we map the Onu Koro section of it.”

Gali: “This is above acceptable. With this much done, this might be the quickest job yet.”

Tahu: “Let’s go.”

As everyone walks into one of the many entrances to metallic caverns, Tahu notices Lewa not following.

Tahu: “Aren’t you comin?”

Somethings wrong and Lewa knows it. The mask had barely increased in brightness on their way to the caverns, but he rides it off as a coincidence.

Lewa: “Yeah.”

They all enter the caverns.

Gali holds a map given to her by one of the onu matoran miners.

Gali: “Okay, so we’re in room A24, and the passages we choose from here are either between A290, B23, C7, and… 32 other tunnels. We’ve already been in F18, so now we have… Oh wait, I was holding it upside down, my bad, we’re actually in room C26.”

Lewa: “I think we should go back.”

Gali: “What, why? We’ve already gotten so far.”

Lewa: “Yeah, but I don’t think we’re making any progress. Back in Ga Koro, the mask glowed bright when traveling the metal caves, and the mask clearly got brighter in tunnels which would eventually end up leading to the third mask piece. But here, We’ve been here for 4 hours at this point, with barely any fluctuation of light from the Ignika.”

Tahu: “I think we should still stick with the tunnel strat, it’s the safest option we got and we have precedent of it working before.”

Lewa: “In Ta Koro we didn’t find a mask piece in a metal cave, same with Le Koro. I have a feeling that there’s no pattern with where these pieces are hidden.”

Whenua: “So what do you suggest we do?”

Lewa’s feels a bit out of place. Usually he was the one sitting quietly taking others orders. But this time, since he knew the mask better than anyone, he realizes that now he has to take initiative.

Lewa: “I think we should move around the island. See where the mask gets bright.”

Tahu: “Hope it’s not another volcano or mountain again.”

On land, the team learns nothing special. All they find out is that the mask becomes less bright closer to the shore, and more bright the closer they venture into the mountains. This gives Lewa an idea.

Lewa: “As much as I’d hate to do. I think we should go back out to sea again.”

The team journeys back on boat and washes further and further away from the coast. The farther they got, the duller the mask became. The closer they were to the shore, the brighter the mask became.

Lewa: “Let’s patrol the coast.”

Tahu: “What good’s that going to do?”

Lewa: “We cover more land on sea, so it’ll make the process of finding the sweet spot quicker.”

Hours would go by with them scanning the shore, yet the mask wouldn’t brighten. It would only brighten depending how close the boat was to shore.

Gali: “Oh I see what you’re doing. You’re using the Ignika like a magnet. Honestly, kind of smart.”

Lewa doesn’t say anything.

Tahu: “So, what’s going on?”

Lewa finally opens his mouth.

Lewa: “What’s going on is that I’m about to tell you all some very bad news. That uninhabitable desert you all were talking about earlier, that desert that’s bigger than the entirety of Le Koro. I think that’s where our fourth mask piece is.”

Whenua: “Woah, woah, woah, hold on there, Lewa. What makes you so sure?”

Lewa: “This mask only seems to be brightest the closer we get to the mountains, and even then the brightness is somewhat dull. On top of that, the brightness of the mask doesn’t change no matter how far we follow the coastline, it only changes depending on how far away we are from the beach, where the closer we get to it, the brighter the mask gets.”

Gali hold her hands over her kanohi cau cau in frustration.

Tahu: “Shoot.”

Whenua: “Well I hate to break it to everyone, or I guess, happy to break it to everyone. That we can’t travel to the desert.”

Lewa: “Why not?”

Whenua: “It’s illegal. Anyone who ventures into the desert and comes back faces a death sentence.”

Lewa: “What the? Even if the purpose is to save Mata Nui from his slumber?”

Whenua: “Even for emergencies such as those.”

Tahu: “What kind of government are you kohli heads running?”

Gali: “It’s because, generally speaking, Onu Korans are the least religious out of all other matoran.”

Whenua: “What she said. Look, I don’t make the rules around here.”

Tahu: “But you’re a toa, you can’t just smack a bit of sense to your politicians?!”

Whenua: “A toa’s power comes from the acceptance of the matoran he lives among, not the other way around.”

Tahu: “Makuta dung! Vakama never said anything like that.”

Whenua: “Me and Vakama think very differently, Tahu. But hey if it’s a desert trip you want so badly, I might be able to arrange something like that.”

Gali: “You just said it’s illegal.”

Whenua: “Who said it was supposed to be legal? After fighting crime for so long, let me just say, I know a guy who knows guy, but I’m warning y’all, we’ll be dealing with some real goonish individuals, it’s nothing in the novels let me tell ya that much. But hey if no one cares about that and we’re all willing to maybe put our lives on the line to save Mata Nui, then yes, I do have my methods.”

Note: This is the fourth part of my Bionicle fanfiction. This chapter will be much faster pace than the previous ones. This sections heavily inspired by media like Breaking Bad, Better Call Caul, and ATLA. Whenua’s probably my favorite toa to write so far, since he’s a very imperfect character relatively to his brothers. I love the world I created for Onu Koro; I was very heavily inspired by the American west coast while writing it. Also, final thing to mention, the Paraka in this story are NOTHING like they are in the original source material, which might be disappointing to a lot of people.

2 Likes

Ooh very nice. It’ll be interesting to see where this journey takes them…

2 Likes

ooo cool!

1 Like

Yo Yo Piraka

Cheering, music, flashing lights; there was no experience like watching a kohli game in Onu Nui’s central stadium.

Tahu: “Why are we here?!”

Whenua: “My connection is here!”

Sports Announcer: “For the Nui Jagas we have…!”

Tahu looks around, looking to see if there were any criminals in the crowd.

Tahu: “So, where’s your kohli head?!”

Sports Announcer: “Ranav!”

The crowd cheers.

Whenua: “Our guy’s not in the crowd!”

Sports Announcer: “Taipu!”

The crowd cheers even louder.

Tahu: “So where is he?!”

Whenua lifts his hand up, then points towards the field.

Whenua: “There!”

Sports Announcer: “NUPARU!”

The crowd simultaneously starts chanting, “Let’s go Paru!” over and over again as rabid matoran shoot confetti and light fireworks from the crowd. Lewa holds his ears.

Lewa: “It’s so loud!”

Gali: “Wait, that guy’s a criminal?!”

Tahu: “What did he do?!

Whenua: “Yup! Certified member of the Piraka gang! His Piraka name’s Reidak, but most people know him as Nuparu! This guy’s been charged with 65 felonies, 147 misdemeanors, and not once has ever seen the inside of a jail cell! I’m pretty sure I’ve arrested him over 300 times!”

Tahu: “Why is everybody rooting for him then?!”

Whenua: “Here Onu Koro, some matoran surpass the criminal justice system, and Nuparu is no different! It’s because A he’s super rich, B every matoran and their pet rahi adore him, mainly because he shares his money to the poor and is super charismatic, C because he’s a super genius innovator, patenting inventions left and right, and D because he’s the best athlete Onu Koro has to offer! So yeah, he’s basically perfect and because of that he’s been pardoned by the central government numerous times, and even if he were to go to court, he’d either bail or be found innocent by a jury!”

Lewa: “So how do we get his attention?!”

Whenua: “Here’s the plan! When the game ends, Lewa uses his prestige as the Ignika’s guardian to get all three up close to ask for an autograph, but instead, you ask for a ‘22 Husi ride over mount Pakari, Porunga style’, that exact wording!”

Gali: “A what!?

Whenua: “‘22 Husi ride over mount Pakari, Porunga style’ that is important! Do not mess that up unless you want to find yourself in a box beneath the Onu Koran desert! Anyways, after that, tell me what Nuparu says word for word, and hopefully he’ll schedule something! Once in your meeting, you’ll meet a matoran by the name of Zaktan! You’ll know him because you wouldn’t be able to tell if he’s wearing a skakdi mask or whether his face actually looks like that! You negotiate a plan where he gets us a trip to the desert, where we’ll probably have to get sedated!”

Tahu: “This can not be real!”

Lewa: “You’re not coming with us?!”

Whenua: “Now I’m on decent terms with the Piraka, but the second Nuparu sees me with you guys it’s donzo! No more undocumented trips to the desert!”

Gali: “Why are you on decent terms with literal crime organizations?!”

Whenua: “Less asking, more doing, start practicing!”

After a long game, the crew prepare to confront Nuparu, right outside where they expect him to walk out. Despite being outside, the exit was more crowded than the stadium.

Tahu: “Hate paparazzi’s.”

Once Nuparu walks out, the crowd roars once again, drowning out the crew from ever reaching him. That’s when the Ignika glows golden, roots burst from the ground, parting the crowd, creating a straight path from Lewa to Nuparu. The crowd goes silent and Nuparu’s shocked.

Gali: “Hi?”

Lewa looks at the mask.

Lewa: “Thank you.”

Nuparu: “Hey I know you. You’re the Ignika guy. What you here for?”

Lewa: “We’ve… come for you, to sign the Ignika”

The crew awkwardly walk up to Nuparu.”

Nuparu: “My pleasure.”

He writes NR on the mask.

Lewa: “Um… can you uh. Husi… 22, Porunga?”

Nuparu: “Ooo, you sure about that?”

Gali jabs Lewa in the shoulder.

Gali: “Can you give us a 22 Husi ride over mount Pakari, Porunga style.”

Nuparu smiles and starts speaking louder.

Nuparo: “Oh, certainly. However you’ll need a saddle for that trip, make sure to prepare for the lightest snow fall.”

Tahu and Lewa look at one another.

Gali: “Uh, thank you sir?”

They wait for an uncomfortable amount of time.

Nuparu: “You can leave now.”

Gali: “Certainly sir.”

All three of them run away as if they were running from the cops.

Tahu: “Good going Gali.”

Lewa: “What did he say?”

Whenua: “‘However you’ll need a saddle for that trip, make sure to prepare for the lightest snow?’”

Gali: “That’s what he said.”

Whenua: “Hmmm, the saddle part means you all gotta be wearing duffle bags over your heads when they pick you up, and I’m pretty sure ‘prepare for the lightest snow’ means that the time of pick up is around noon.”

Tahu: “Where’s the location of pick up?”

Whenua: “Why Pakari park of coarse.”

Tahu silences.

Tahu: “That statement was so stupid, it makes Lewa look like a genius.”

Gali: “That’s a public area, what law enforcement gets in the way of things?”

Whenua: “You don’t have these matoran, just trust everything will be alright.”

At the park, Lewa, Tahu, and Gali, all wait with duffle bags over their heads, as they hear matoran chuckling as they walk by.

Tahu: “This is humiliating.”

Gali: “We gotta do it.”

Tahu: “For what, so we can plead to criminals. Seriously, in what world do criminals have more power than a toa?”

Gali: “Onu Koro, and we just gotta deal with it.”

Tahu sighs.

Tahu: “I guess so.”

They hear footsteps heading in their direction and then come to a stop in front of them. Looking down, all Lewa can see are his feet and the Ignika he’s holding in his hands. That’s until an unknown set of hands appear from the corner of Lewa’s vision and snatches the mask right out of his hands.

Lewa: “Hey!”

That’s when they hear slaps, slits, thuds, sloshes, and one memorable blood curdling scream. That’s when what sounds to be a limped matoran, dragging his feet in front of Lewa, and placing the mask back into his hands. They are then led to what sounds to be a wagon, and taken off to unknown location

In a musty poorly lit room, the only light peeking from the vents is orange. Particles visible through the air. Music plays in the background. Golden chains rattle, an onu matoran with large revealing teeth, bops his head up and down, singing.

Zaktan: “Ya, yo yo Piraka!”

Two other henchmen watch intently as Zaktan continues his verse.

Zaktan: “The gang is on the loose, nothin’ you can do. The Beast on the move, Bully comin’ through. Trigger, Tracer, Drifter comin’ too. Add The Snake that makes Piraka crew.”

Hakann: “Straight bars.”

Another Piraka member appears before Zaktan.

Thok: “Ey bowss, Reidakk’s matotos just came in. I’m warnin’ ya, the Ignika’s volatile no cap for real for real. You sure about lettin’ them in?”

Zaktan: “I don’t care about the mask, let em in.”

Thok: “Aight boss.”

Thok snaps then whistles a quick tune. Three Piraka lead Gali, Tahu, and Lewa before Zaktan. They then unmask the matoran.

Zaktan: “Welcome to the crib! What do I do you for?”

Gali looks over to Tahu and Lewa.

Gali: “Let me handle this.”

She then walks forward.

Gali: “Hello Mr. Zaktan-”

Tahu slaps his face in embarrassment.

Gali: “As you already know, our pal Lewa here is the guardian of the Ignika, so his job is to reawaken Mata Nui. However, the mask was divided into four pieces scattered all across the islands, and we suspect that the fourth mask piece is somewhere in the Onu Koro desert.”

Zaktan: “And since the central government banned all trips to the desert, that’s why you come to me.”

Gali: “Exactly.”

Zaktan: “Hmm interesante. I can help save the universe.”

Gali: “Yup.”

Zaktan taps his finger rhythmically to the armrest of his golden throne. Staring off into the ceiling, staying silent for far an uncomfortable amount of time.

Gali: “Sir.”

Zaktan stops his tapping.

Zaktan: “Answer me this, what do I look like to you?”

Gali: “Um…”

Tahu: “A criminal.”

Everyone in the room looks at Tahu. Lewa whispers to Tahu.

Lewa: “Tahu, shut up.”

Zaktan: “Nah, you good.”

Lewa paralyzes, he did not expect Zaktan to listen so intently.

Zaktan: “Pretiate the honesty, but if yall knew anything bout the Piraka. You’d know that we’re business matotos.”

He turns around.

Zaktan: “Ain’t that right brotha’s!”

Every Piraka in the room: “On Mata Nui.”

Zaktan redirects his attention back to Gali and creepily touches his hand around Gali’s mask.

Zaktan: “And when pretty ga matoto’s like yo self come in here, asking for this, asking for that. I’m makin’ an investment with yall fools, which means I need interest. What interest do yall offer?”

Tahu: “How about your interest is that you get to live.”

The Piraka start honing in on Tahu.

Zaktan: “Nah nah nah, it’s okay.”

Zaktan redirects his attention to Tahu.

Zaktan: “So fire spitta’, what you say my interest is?”

Zaktan’s face is so close to Tahu’s, to the point where he can smell the bad breath coming from his large mouth.

Tahu: “If we don’t get our trip to the desert, Mata Nui stays asleep, which means Mata Nui dies, which means no more matoran for your cartel of clowns to wreak havoc on. How’s that for interest?”

Zaktan smailes, revealing a mixture of yellow and golden teeth.

Zaktan: “Hmm, you know, us Piraka got a sayin’, ‘Die for tomorrow, so you can live for today.’ We don’t give a ghekula bout what happens in the future. And why should I make business with someone, who ain’t got respect for me?”

Tahu: “We have a saying where I come from too, ‘Don’t trust the guy with the large revealing teeth.’”

Zaktan: “What if I do allow your trip to happen, except in small pieces buried underneath the Onu Koran desert.”

Tahu: “What if you grew a third booty cheek? Why? Because the second you or your goons lay a finger on me or my friends, that Ignika goes ham and before you know it, you’ll be going to plastic surgery for a little more than just a jaw enlargement. Believe me, no ga matoran likes a guy with a third buttcheek, isn’t that right Gali?”

Gali: “Uh, yeah. Very unattractive.”

Zaktan starts chuckling.

Zaktan: “Uhh, we live in a clone world. I like you.”

He walks back to his throne and sits down.

Zaktan: “Aight, I get ya what y’all want. Hakann, give em the syringes.”

Hakann: “But boss-”

Zaktan: “Shut up and do what you’re told. These syringes are sedatives. At midnight tonight, go to the same spot where we picked y’all up, and inject them into your arms. Once we get there, we’ll put y’all into tight boxes, don’t worry they got breathing holes, and then the next thing you’ll know is that you’re in the desert. Y’all just gonna have to trust me on this.”

Lewa: “Can we get four?”

Tahu and Gali look at Lewa as if he just signed their death warrants.

Zaktan: “Excuse me, I only see three.”

Gali and Tahu wave their hands in a ‘cut it out’ motion, but Lewa continues.

Lewa: “Whenua’s going with us.”

Zaktan: “WHENUA! You tryna kill us?”

Lewa: “No he’ll be cooperative. We’re putting a lot of faith in you, so why not return the favor. Besides, think of it as interest, kind of. While he’s with us in the desert keeping us safe, you can live a happy life knowing that no toa will stop you from criminal activity, it’s a win win.”

Zaktan taps his finger again, pondering.

Zaktan: “Fine. Hakann, give em another syringe. I must say, you matotos certainly the strangest batch I’ve ever seen.”

Whenua: “I can go with you guys?! Wha, how? How’d you manage to convince him of that?”

Lewa: “Dunno, we just did.”

Whenua: “That can’t be right. Something’s up, there’s no way he let you slide that easily.”

Tahu: “Dunno, guess we’re just negotiating masters.”

Whenua: “I sincerely doubt that, no offense. It’s so much harder to convince Zaktan of anything. It’s not even funny.”

Gali: “Let’s focus less on the how, and more on being happy that we’re even going to the desert.”

Whenua: “I guess, but I don’t know, something doesn’t seem right.”

At midnight they arrive once again at Pakari park, where they inject the sedative and they begin falling asleep one by one. The last thing Gali sees before her eyes close are the faces of two Priaka members throwing her into a box.

Note: This was probably one of my favorite chapters to write. I just had so much fun writing the dialogue and transitioning between sequences. I hope people aren’t disappointed that the Piraka in this story are nothing like they are in the original story. Also, I just realized that my previous written works that I published here do not have the double space between sequences to distinguish different scenes. So now I’m sad because those chapters probably make little sense and gonna have to go back and change them.

2 Likes

ah, very nice. I kinda like the idea of the Piraka as gangsters

1 Like