Brickonicle G3 Elements Poll [Worldbuilding] [Pitch]

I’m using this.

But then Earth and Plantlife are combined without reason. It makes no more sense than Lewa using both Air and Plantlife powers in JtO. The whole point of elemental powers is designating the characters with sets of powers based on specific parts of the world. Merging Earth and Plantlife goes against that.

1 Like

Have you listened to the new podcast? Var makes a pretty compelling argument.

I did, but I don’t remember what his reasoning was, nor am I willing to go through it again to find it.

How nature based though? Not enough, so that it’s a mishmash of stone and jungle? Or just call jungle earth? Neither option is really good.

1 Like

That’s your prerogative.

I don’t know, I’m not really super into the plan, it’s just one I’m not viscerally against. My plan is this:

You could still tell me what he said, since it sounds like you remember.

Also, writing the specific relations between Earth and Stone into the tribal relations doesn’t solve the matter at hand, which deals in the powers themselves and not their users. And like I said, newcomers would expect the elements to fall under one label; whether the similarity is incorporated into the lore or not has nothing to do with it.

Onua and othef Toa of Earth should be able to control rocks, but Pohatu (who, in my eyes, becomes a Toa of Metal) should have an easier time controlling rocks due to the sheer amount of metallic substances present within them.

I remember the basic idea, mostly that the nature based powers came from Onua literally talking to the earth itself, I doubt I can explain it as well as Var did.

Not all rocks contain metal. The only way he could control rocks, given the Iron solution I’ve been pushing for, like, ever, is if the metal was in the ore.

Ah, I remember that now. But here’s the problem: plants aren’t part of the ground. They grow out of it, but to say that this makes them part of the earth such that an Earth-based powerset should incorporate them just to justify Stone being separate is simply illogical and, to a lesser extent, convoluted. Then there’s the problem I put forth before about the whole point of elemental powers.

3 Likes

I guess

Adding metal as one of the base elements really ruins the ‘robots in nature’ thing imo, it’s really the biggest reason I’m against the idea.

1 Like

Here’s my solution to that: the Matoran species is not actually comprised of metal in G3. Rather, their exoskeleton is made of an organic substance that only occurs in the fauna of their world: protodermis. It acts much like a metal, but it’s not really. This not only keeps Iron from being OP, but also opens venues for plot threads that would address what it is and where it comes from; namely, a story arc that goes into the origin of the Matoran themselves.

1 Like

Well, this conversation has cycled again. Haven’t we already gone over the whole ‘Metal vs. Protodermis’ before?

They aren’t exactly biomechanical then now are they?

They are if their actual anatomy is akin to machinery. Pistons, hinges, plating–the material doesn’t matter, only the mehcanisms.

I think it’s been brought up, but not really gone into that much.

But if they’re completely organic there isn’t much reason for them.

Understatement of the century.

…But protodermis isn’t organic…
Think of it like, Metal Metal is made out of Metals, and Protodermis is maybe only sub-metal. If not impossible, it would take a Toa of Metal with very strong willpower to do anything to Protodermis.

Just spitting out ideas.

And so the mystery builds up. It would be something the Matoran never questioned, only accepted (or perhaps attribute to their creator deity as engineering genius), until they’re given reason to wonder why that’s the case. So there’s an arc where they learn that they were artificially created or something, and that goes somewhere.

Or they’re literally made of plastic. That’s also an option. Fourth-wall humor and such.

Oh, THAT debate. I thought that was more on the nature of Protodermis as a plot element and not so much in terms of its actual composition.