Brickonicle G3 Elements Poll [Worldbuilding] [Pitch]

I like the idea of merging Earth and Stone, and adding Lightning as a main element, a la Jay from Ninjago. So, in my world, it is the original Toa Mata minus Onua and plus Lightning-Dude.

1 Like

If we’re just drawing from the originals, wouldn’t it be Lightning-Chick? :stuck_out_tongue:

On a more serious note, I think that most of the original elements were fine even if ‘elements’ is hardly an appropriate term for some of them. I mean, if we try to re-cast all of them based on ground-level physics I’m pretty sure we’d eventually end up with a set of powers that’d be pretty much unrecognizable from where we started at. Only Earth and Stone are confusing because they keep treading on each other’s toes, and the same went to some extent with Pohatu and Onua’s characters. Taking one out and throwing lightning into the mix would be much more interesting. I’d probably try to make yellow part of the lightning color scheme as well, just to give that color a regular place among the main sets. People like vibrant colors on their sets, after all :grin:

3 Likes

I was thinking a darker color, maybe like purple or something, with a bunch of yellow highlights. And I thinking Voriki. :wink:

By later standards, Voriki would’ve been a Toa of Gravity, not an element that I’m personally all that fond of.

Just off the top of my head, not a lot of thinking behind it, here’s the ones I would keep and/or fuse together.

1. Fire (fused with plasma, never understood what was different about that one other than the colors)
  2. Water
  3. Stone
  4. Earth w/ gravity. Natural association for me. Plus earth characters already used purple at some point. Limited gravity abilities would also give them something that stone characters can’t do, and stone can manipulate rigid crystal structures better than earth.
  5. Air (green + light blue… maybe a bunch of trans pieces?)
  6. Ice
  7. Lightning
  8. Iron (fused with magnetism: iron is the element, magnetism is the mechanic)
  9. Psionics. 'cause mind games.
  10. Sonics. good vibrations.
  11. Light. I wouldn’t make it legendary or special, just another element.
  12. Shadow. Remove automatic evil connotation… maybe just naturally edgy?
5 Likes

The ‘emo’ element.

But I like your list. Makes sense.

2 Likes

Ayy
Great minds think alike.

On an unrelated note,

I’d like the communities opinions on this, I’ve been thinking on it and I keep thinking it would look better and better, especially if g3 was system.

1 Like

Nice poll, interested in seeing the final results!

Personally? Love the color scheme, but I’d save it for more of a fanon element, such as Kinetics.
Also, @Scorpion_Strike: Plasma is an additional state of matter (a sort of gaseous goo, which interestingly enough, is also effectively what lightning is made of), caused by subjecting gasses to extreme heat or magnetic fields. It can be both superheated and supercooled, is commonly found in neon lights, and in the Bionicle universe, probably would’ve behaved similarly to Fetch’s Neon power set from Infamous: Second Son, just without all of the additional abilities one normally wouldn’t associate with that particular element (putting people in stasis, traveling at the speed of light, etc.).
Fire, on the other hand, is pretty much just combustion, caused by two substances violently reacting to each other. As such, it possesses no physical form of its own, and what you actually perceive to be “fire” is simply the light and heat said reaction creates in the process.

i personaly went with the following:

Six elements.

light and shadows should be represented in the main characters

and the six elements i chose were: Fire, Water (merged with ice), Earth (merged with stone), Air (replacing stone), Jungle and Sonics (replacing ice).

1 Like

I chose these six elements:
Fire,
Water (merged with ice),
Stone (merged with earth),
Jungle (nature or plantlife),
Plasma (lasers and stuff),
Magnetism (merged with iron, but magnetism sounds better)

I think it makes sense to fuse Stone and Earth together, making…Earth. Most shows that focus on Elements, Represent Earth as having abilities of both Soil and Stone. This would means we could have both Jungle and Air represented in the series rather than just one or the other. It’s a simple change, but it works better than what G2 did.

5 Likes

All of the other Psionics powers affect the mind – Mind control, Telepathy, Mental Attacks, mental shielding (which s essentially using your powers on your own mind) Telekinesis, on the other hand, affects something physical, and doesn’t fall under mental powers any more than a Toa of Stone moving water would.

~W12~

1 Like

Then we scrap Plasma as its own element. Problem solved.

1 Like

what’s with you and removing elements?

Fewer elements makes the lore simpler and easier to process, which is especially beneficial when we’re talking about a line that’s supposed to be aimed at kids. If one element makes more sense if combined with another, or if we run into the conundrum of Earth vs. Stone where they’re either separate or Earth is basically just dirt, which is lame, then it is beneficial to merge one element with another. I don’t have anything against lots of elements, I just don’t see the point in having different elements if they overlap and, thus, are basically just magic.

I think any modifications to the main six elements is a mistake. The first Toa team needs to be the Toa Mata if for no other reason than for name recognition. One of the only reasons G2 was able to do as well as it did was because of that name recognition, introducing us to a team of ramdom Toa we’ve never met, or even other canon Toa, is a recipe for disaster. I know that the Toa Mata have a gender diversity issue, but that can be solved through gender diversity amongst the matoran as well as other Toa that could be introduced later. In this topic:

I formulated a pitch based 90% on the ideas discussed on the podcast just reorganized into a coherent story. Part of it involves introducing a large number of new Toa in the second year which could be easily used to increase gender diversity amongst the Toa, and later on in the topic I explored how one could incorporate the less common elements into them.

Changing elements does not change the main cast. If Stone is cut, Pohatu can still be Pohatu; and he should, because he’s always been a lot of fun. Nobody is suggesting to can the OG Toa Mata; I would be very disheartened if Bionicle came back and it wasn’t about them. But changing their powers in ways that don’t break the plot or characters will not harm anything; only good can come of it unless there’s not a real, solid justification for it, like with Lewa’s Air-to-Jungle change.

The powers whose existences are entailed by certain elements do not have to go, either. Throwing rocks at peeps is cool, and that can stay; I’m just saying Onua can have that power for the sake of improving upon the lore, while Pohatu gets something else that’s cool.

say, what do you think of my choises for the six toa mata elements?

That’s exactly what it means, if there are only five elements then there are only five Toa. And every element has it’s own sort of personality, if you were to substitute another element in to replace stone it would completely change the character. Can you imagine Tahu without fire? How bout Kopaka without ice? That’s insanity, and you can no more have Pohatu without stone.[quote=“SirKeksalot, post:37, topic:33898”]
But changing their powers in ways that don’t break the plot or characters will not harm anything; only good can come of it unless there’s not a real, solid justification for it, like with Lewa’s Air-to-Jungle change.
[/quote]

I personally believe that that change was a mistake and, judging from the polls above, people agree. By changing Lewa from air to jungle they went from a very clear element to one that was poorly defined and was never actually shown to be used to any real affect in the story.

Once again, you cannot change the element without changing the character. Throwing rocks at people is Pohatu’s shtick, not Onua’s. Onua’s all earthquakes and sinkholes. That’s his fighting style, to change it changes the character on a fundamental level. Imagine if we took all of the Toa Mata’s weapons an d randomly redistributed them. Can you imagine Kopaka fighting with Onua’s claws? How about Gali with a sword and shield? Or perhaps Tahu with Gali’s hooks? It doesn’t make any sense and the elements are no different. When the Toa Mata were designed their personalities were based off of their elements, changing that changes them.

1 Like

Initially I said four, but I’m kinda regretting that now. Logically it makes sense, but… I just can’t do it. I can’t justify in my head removing any of the Toa. I really can’t.

2 Likes