Building Habits and Superstitions

But what do you do when it’s your first set of a certain theme? Do you go for something of a similar theme, same build style (eg. a Technic set for building something Technic-based), equivalent end product (eg. a car set for building a car)? Or have you never actually had to do that?

I personally tend to keep it quiet while I’m building. I like focusing entirely on what I’m doing - kind of like a weird, plastic-based kind of meditation. Works for me, but to each their own.

Can’t work out which part to quote exactly, but that bit about always building it according to the instructions, even you’re planning to modify it, resonated with me too. Just half an hour ago I put Tahu 2015 together exactly according to the instructions, and then immediately modified his shoulder pads back to how I usually have them. The human mind is a strange thing sometimes…

2 Likes

When it comes to it being a new theme, I usually just bring something similar. For example, If I were to build a Nexo Knights Set, I would probably bring down one of my Castle 2013 or Kingdom sets.

3 Likes

I name a pieces color when I put it on the set.: i.e. red, orange, light blue, dark green, etc.

The bushings must always face the same way.

BIONICLE: whatever the instructions say, the mask must always go on last.

5 Likes

I usually try to build figures as straight and stiff as possible. I also try to build with a certain sense of symmetricality, even if the figure isn’t supposed to be symmetric. Very recently I started doing this odd thing with constraction sets where I leave the chest and mask for last, then slap them on as if it were some epic, slo-mo shot.

2 Likes

I definitely try to build individual components perfectly straight, but then the second they go on the main section I pose them as naturally and/or dynamically as possible. When building constraction sets (particularly CCBS), his generally leads to a lot of very dynamic-looking and battle-ready headless skeletons.

Agreed; the mask must always be the last thing to go on, and it must be immediately followed by an epic power-up sequence (which in real life is just me sitting there, putting the toy in a spread-eagled pose and making energy noises with my mouth).

3 Likes

On the new sets I found myself putting the back gear in the x position rather than the + position. I guess it feels more consistent to me.

2 Likes

I do that as well!

Oh, man, I hate it when I do that.

I knew I wasn’t the only one! :laughing:

Another thing is that I also build the figure the same pose it is in the Instructions.

3 Likes

I build my sets in the exact position on the instructions, if LEGO told me to build upside down, I’d do it.

4 Likes