Can Someone Solve the "Onua Puzzle"?

So Meso’s been trying to put together Onua 2015 using the parts he owns and whatever parts he managed to get from NYCC. However, he’s having a ton of trouble figuring out how to construct Onua’s gear function.

This here is the best picture we currently have for reference:

And as you can see, it’s pretty hard to make out what the heck is going on here.

Meso’s got a good chunk of it handled, but the most perplexing obstacle is this piece of sorcery.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Mesonak/stuff/onuapuzzle.png

I can’t even. Someone please. Tell us.

What goes where.

What.

BTW, should you actually look into it, you will eventually run into the same problem we have. You’ll know it when you do.

9 Likes

As far as I can make out, one piece you need is a double axle( https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6FBuF8ATFSkjMU4K0aCIO5TToLWXzMfPu56iSTDgfG4Eg0xd-). And it also looks like there’s a Glatorian neck piece in there, or it could be this. https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzPwV5cJ9vhBvIBbvXW0WEk3bPWHlV4LSuU18jNt9e40HnktpY
An old hand piece, and this as well. http://img2.toysperiod.com/img/cache/53/800x600/d4e4o5g414l436v5o2x5o2x2b4o2y2v2c4y274s2x5l4e4z353u214t2z2w2w2.jpg
Sorry Venom, this was as much as I could conjure up from the photo. The rest was too dark.

Edit: Fixed the links

2 Likes

I have not even started to try and recreate this, and I am already running into problems. The two sides of his back are different, and I have no idea what the gear powers. is it his left arm? Ugh… I guess we will just have to wait and see.

On another note, in this picture, Gali’s yellow gears stick way further out than the other Toa. Why, TLG?

1 Like

well, we can see the socket extender and red axles clearly. So knock those utang get rid of them so we can focus on what’s left.

The grey piece connecting the arms is a hordika neck. It’s being connected to another black piece from there. So the trick is figuring out what that black piece is, from there we might be able to just follow the build back towards the middle of the body and figure something out,

1 Like

Actually I think I know what’s going on here. I’ve got to go to bed but I’ll get back to this tomorrow.

I think I have it as well, although if I’m right the gear function might be a little sticky. I’ll make a MOC-up if I can, but that probably won’t be for a while.

Best way to explain it is that it has the standard gear function design, but has the grey socket attached to the extra ball joint that the other masters use for shoulder armor. (I’m guess for stability with the larger build?) it then has a black socket piece pointed downwards on the end ball joint. Then comes two of those two long axle plates that @Aegyptiacus talked about, Connected to the side of the socket using red axles. The other red axle attaches to the hordika neck, which attached to the shoulder.
If you understood that, great! If not, I really need to learn how to explain things better.

Edit: I’m asking some friends for second opinions. I’ll post them when I get 'em

2 Likes

At least finally the figures are interesting to build :smiley:
(Not like HF figs)

3 Likes

If I had that gearbox…

I have no idea what sorcery TLG used to build Onua. I’ll just wait until the set comes out :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

If it weren’t for the inclusion of the gearbox, I have an idea about how it could be constructed.

Would anyone be willing to say that Onua’s torso doesn’t use a fixed gearbox, but instead uses a custom gearbox designed for this type of movement?

If not then I dunno.

1 Like

I couldn’t figure it out, but this is what I got:

10 Likes

They will simply just add a touch of

4 Likes

NO, It’s

1 Like

Ball and balljoint makes gear function harder to use but much more sturdy, hordika neck is connected to Double Plus-pin Tile which connects to new technic piece (Probably) and then to that ball+balljoint thing… cant create it with pieces right now… but thats basicaly it

1 Like

Okay, I’ve been messing around in LDD, and I think I have a somewhat decent idea of what his right shoulder looks like. Hopefully this will help.

A few things to note:

1. That bright pink part is supposed to fill in for the gearbox, as that’s not available in LDD yet.
  2. The tan axle is 5 studs long, and has a stopper on the end (like the pistons seen on the legs old Bionicle’s titans from 2006 onward).
  3. As a previously noted by others, the ball joint seems to be used for friction instead of the smaller gears seen on the other Toa.
  4. I have absolutely NO idea what piece is supposed to be in the middle, but whatever it is, it’s most likely used to hold that black boxy part connected to the Hordika neck in place, since otherwise it would just freely spin around on the axle.

As for Onua’s left shoulder, I don’t know what to make of it, but it’s obviously built differently and is likely not connected to any gears, meaning only his right arm will be able to swing around.

4 Likes

We actually finally figured it out. It’s basically your design but with two parts missing- one being a two-stud long piece and a new, perpendicular connection piece that was introduced this year.

Thanks for all your help guys. We hope you all like the previews we’re dishing out of the sets!

6 Likes