CCBS In G1

That’s because making tons of new molds every year was simply too expensive. Besides, people tend to bash post-2006 years for reusing the Inika build over and over again, but let’s give Lego some credit, they did try to mix things up a little by introducing a brand new torso piece with Kongu Mahri, that was later reused for 2008 Pohatu (I wish we have gotten more of it though), Makuta Phantoka also used a unique new torso. And 2009 saw some creative uses of the Inika build as well, mainly with Strakk and Skrall.

7 Likes

Mmm… I wouldn’t say previous years used a new building system every time. In fact, the most widely criticized reuse of a building system was the Bohrok-Kal in 2003.

3 Likes

2003 still had the Rahkshi build, though.

2 Likes

But…that’s kind of my point. People bashed CCBS for using the same molds every time.

1 Like

Theres really no winning in this sense when it comes to construction type of sets. People would bash it if its a repeat but if it’s something new and adventurous and doesn’t get traction PLUS requires creating new molds and pieces that work for niche roles its still a lose. Part of what made Bionicle have troubles was new pieces that served too specifically. I wasn’t bothered by the Inika builds per say and honestly that seems like a hindsight complaint from people rather than something that was ACTUALLY cared about as a kid. How many kids playing with Bionicles stopped and said “woah the building techniques at the base of this set is just structurally too similar to ones I previously have”
No, we were excited for the new armors and weapons and stories for the most part.

5 Likes

witch doctor is just plain awesome

2 Likes

Yeah well CCBS had much more limited part selection, in Bionicle we had many different armor pieces with varying textures, it was much easier (imho) to make one set stand out from the other, even though they still technically reused molds and were built with the same system.

CCBS on the other hand… yeah, it was the same smooth pieces used over and over and over again. By the time Lego tried to spice things up a little (2016) it was too little too late.

Not to mention almost every single set had the same ■■■■■■■ feet since 2011.

3 Likes

Yeah, the common argument against CCBS is a lack of variety, but I honestly don’t think that complaint stands. Mostly not, anyway.

You’re absolutely right about the variety of textures across G1 parts. It gave each set a distinct feel that set it apart from its companions. CCBS just doesn’t have that level of detail to it. What CCBS does have, though, is greater freedom to experiment with character design. I think a lot of people give CCBS flak it for being plain that it doesn’t deserve, mostly because when it debuted, people took one look at the 2011 Heroes and were immediately turned off. And that’s fair, because those sets didn’t use CCBS to its full potential, they just slapped some samey armour on basic frames and called it a day. But looking at stuff from Hero Factory’s Breakout line, or at the 2015 Toa, you can see how varied CCBS can be. There’s this incredible potential to have sets with wildly differing silhouettes and aesthetics that lend themselves to very strong character designs. The variety of texture is lacking, yes, but the variety of design certainly isn’t.

Or at least that’s how it was before constraction’s untimely demise. Alas.

Totally with you on the feet, though. The clown shoes were getting old after half a decade of non-stop use.

3 Likes

That’s true, CCBS allowed for a great variety in builds, possibly even more so than the Inika build

HOWEVER

Lego didn’t really showcase it I think. Sure, there were some creative builds like the Savage Planet beasts or the mechas from Invasion from Below, but the vast majority of sets were plain humanoids, “connect the limbs to the torso slap on some armor and you’re done”-type of builds. I think that could be a major turn-off for people, or at least of them, that the default sets didn’t seem attractive/creative/varied enough.

2 Likes

I wish there was a Thanos contraction figure just so we could have a ‘CCBS is inevitable’ meme…

4 Likes