CCBS Sand Tarakava Arm

So, as I was envisioning different Rahi for G3 at school today, I just randomly came up with the idea for a CCBS version of the Tarakava (or in this case, due to the coloration) Sand Tarakava arm.

The orange torso is mostly a place-holder, assuming I ever finish making the CCBS Sand Tarakava.

In this case, I was mainly looking to adapt the concept of a boxing glove/praying mantis/lizard hand together, which I honestly had a hard time envisioning. Eventually, as I visualized some concept art for a Sand Tarakava reaching out from below the sand to grab an unsuspecting matoran, the shape of the arm and structure just came to me and I figured out how to adapt it to CCBS.

Here’s another angle of the Sand Tarakava arm. The idea is that the Tarakava’s hand, instead of being a clenched fist, is instead more of a curled-up grasp, sort of like the real-life Praying Mantis martial arts style.

On the back of a hand is a bony plate and armor to not only protect its hand from the impact but to also provide additional force to each punch as well.

Fully outstretched and slamming into prey with a sudden snap of a lever, the Sand Tarakava can deal devastating, unforeseeable strikes from beneath the sand where it dwells.

As demonstration, we have a disembodied Sand Tarakava arm punching Iron Doom in the face. :stuck_out_tongue:

“Bionicle was the ORIGINAL story-driven Lego theme!”

(No offense towards Ninjago though, I am a die-hard fan and always will be)

The build is fairly simple- Just some ccbs snapped together and shells slapped on, with some other greebling. I tried to go for the rugged, punching-glove look the original Tarakava had whenever its hand is folded up, and when folded outwards maintain a very reptilian feel, true to the lizard-like nature of the Rahi.

For many unfortunate victims, THIS is the last thing they see if the Sand Tarakava is hoping to simply snatch its meal without beating it to a pulp.

For many others, this is what happens-

Alas, Poor Krux. I barely even knew the guy and the season isn’t out yet.

And here are some other photos I just threw in for other angles;

Feedback and criticism is more than welcomed, it is encouraged. I may or may not do a full-on Sand Tarakava MOC, as I have neither the parts nor the creativity, alas. This literally just came to me in my head today, but hopefully I might be able to do a full one and show it off. For now, however, this arm will just be dragging itself along, attached to what is left of Fire Lord, cast aside alongside his theme, Hero Factory, and placing punching vengeance onto the themes that replaced or outdid it.

18 Likes

Nice, I can not get a feel for it as a moc though. I would love to see it finished

1 Like

There’s not much about this. Maybe once the Moc is done, but it looks pretty standard and quick at the moment.

Yeah. I’m VERY new to moccing (at least in my perspective), and have only two models I would even consider showing on the boards. Perhaps this little project of mine will give me a chance to up my skill a little, and learn from the best here.

I am sure it will, look at some of mine and let me know what you think. Looking at the Mocs here can inspire you or show you some tricks. It is a cool arm, for support for a second layer of joints with a small dual socket join on one connection

1 Like

The arm looks swell, but Like others have said, a full moc would be alot more interesting. I’d like to see it adapted to the boxing function.

1 Like

I don’t like the claw part but this is really cool otherwise.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I started working on the rest of the Sand Tarakava after the first two posts, and I’m VERY excited to show you the head!

That said, I plan to build it with whatever parts I have, and then promptly order said parts in their proper colors to give a more cohesive CCBS Sand Tarakava. I may or may not make updates, but for now, just expect a whole new topic.

EDIT

All right, so I’m ALMOST ready to show off my finished Sand Tarakava. I just need literally one piece in the proper color, and then I can begin…

1 Like

Would you mind if I used it for a MOC? I’d make sure to credit you. Anyways, I can’t wait to see the final product.

Go ahead. I’ve actually finished the final product only a few weeks after I posted this (AKA somewhere in Spring 2017) but I’ve procrastinated due to needing a few certain colored pieces, and then I forgot. I HAVE made some MOCs of the Nui-Rama, Muaka, and Nui-Jaga, and I’ve got a Kane-Ra in the works!

Glad to hear progress has come from this amazing concept

oof that late reply though