Chaos Demon Hunters | D&D Poster

Hello everyone on the Boards!

I’m a bit quicker on the draw than I normally am with these things, but here is the official poster for my third Dungeons & Dragons campaign!

It’s too early for me to write a lore blurb that really captures the theme of this new party or the campaign, but here’s the plain-text lowdown:

Our previous campaigns were both set in Rumia, a homebrew world created by our Dungeon Master. This time, we’ve left that world entirely in favor of a brand new homebrew world (as of yet unnamed). Our campaign takes place on the island of Kikena Tochi, and the setting is heavily inspired by feudal Japan.

On this island, dangerous Oni plague the land during the night. The civilizations that formed are ruled by the Taiyasu Empire and its vassal clans. These clans vie for political power and favor.

As the backdrop for our campaign, the previous Emperor has died, succeeded by his two-year-old son. Left without a proper ruler, the Taiyasu Empire’s control begins to wane and the rival clans begin making their power plays.

Let’s introduce the party. From top to bottom we have:

Kenshiro “Ogawa” Atasi (Half-Orc Fighter): The last remaining member of the Atasi clan. Kenshiro’s clan and family were wiped out by the rival Tsuyorashi clan during a rebellion. Now disguised under the name “Ogawa,” Kenshiro wanders the island in search of vengeance.
Anzu Iwamoto (Human Rogue): An old lady on the outside, Anzu was once (and still is) a deadly assassin-for-hire. Her dark impulses and dishonorable methods drove a wedge between her and her samurai sister Emiko. Now, far past her prime, Anzu seeks a path to redemption, but struggles to separate herself from her past.
Rowan Harlow Devereaux (Dhampire Bard): Half human and half vampire, Harlow hails from a foreign land. After they and their father moved to Kikena Tochi, their family name became associated with wealth and power, but also came to be regarded with hatred and suspicion due to their connections with blood magic. Seeking self-fulfillment, Harlow became a wandering musician and “exorcist,” though in truth they sought more promiscuous activities.
Tomoko Miyazaki (Human Monk): Tomoko’s father was once regarded as one of the best chefs in all of Kikena Tochi. When she was very young, Tomoko found her family restaurant ablaze and her father murdered by the local mob. She then dedicated her life to the study of the martial arts to protect herself and vowed the uphold her father’s legacy by discovering the world’s best ingredients.
Ket (Tortle Barbarian): At a young age, Ket was taken from his tribe by poachers who forced him into slavery. A selfless soul, Ket took the beatings for other slaves until one day he awakened a rage he had never known. Ripping the stone that kept him chained from the ground and using it as a weapon, Ket escaped. After being befriended by Tomoko, he now follows and protects the chef, seeking a way back to his tribe.

This poster was super fun to make, and it’s certainly a departure from my previous D&D posters. I was heavily inspired by classic Japanese samurai movie posters for this one, particularly some versions of the “Seven Samurai” movie posters.

I also like to imagine this as a bit of an in-universe “Wanted” poster for our party who, at least up to now, have typically been pretty chaotic and have generally stirred up a lot of trouble.

Speaking of “Chaos”, that’s what the first kanji featured here translates to. The second is “Oni,” followed by “Hunt.” We might not have a cohesive theme going quite yet, but so far creating chaos and fighting demons has been pretty accurate.

As a bit of a disclaimer, I am not Japanese, nor do I speak or write it. I wanted the kanji characters for the aesthetic purpose, but I don’t claim that I’ve done them 100% accurately. I’ve tried to do my best to respect it regardless.

The actual version of this poster has some movie-styled credits at the bottom with the names of all our players, but since I’m not sure if all of them would be cool with having their real names revealed, I omitted them from this one.

You know the drill. 1 read = 1 cookie: :cookie:

As always,
Comment and Discuss!

16 Likes

eyyyy it’s bortle the tortle

All jokes aside, though, this looks great! The characters are super dynamic and the general style of this campaign looks really interesting (especially with the limited color palette). Though I am sad to see Connie go, I can’t wait for more art of these characters.

4 Likes

me who read it multiple times

Really, Cordax just stole my post telepathically, I don’t have anything to add aside from assassin grandma being one heck of a concept and happy we get to see more of our boy Bortle

5 Likes

I want a cookie

2 Likes

This sounds like a fun campaign to watch…

1 Like